A young girl with a lot of moxie and sagacity!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
“It’s about approaching the line, but not crossing it, which is a struggle. It’s an art school, so we’re always pushing the lines.”
MacKinnon said the school has a purposely vague dress code, but some students have suggested codifying what is and isn’t appropriate.
As for the crop tops, students and officials couldn’t come to an agreement during the meeting.
Halket remained defiant Tuesday, bristling at the principal’s suggestion students should be more professional.
“He said ‘this is a professional environment,’ so I said, ‘yes, but the word professional comes from profession, meaning job, and this is your job, so I understand if you have to be professional, but I have to go to school and I’m going to wear whatever makes me comfortable.”‘
I'm old school on this but then I work in the Catholic school system and we have rules for the kids from the length of their shorts to the width of their straps on their tops

it's not pub night

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm old school on this but then I work in the Catholic school system and we have rules for the kids from the length of their shorts to the width of their straps on their tops

it's not pub night

Fashions change all the time. I often think back to 1964 when my brother and his friend got expelled from school (during the Beatle rage) for sporting the Beatle hairstyle. Bet no one at that time had the slightest inkling about fads that would follow! If nothing is said the girl will likely go back to conventional attire within a week!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

it's not pub night
That's why talking about it's a good thing. Teens are supposed to be learning how to be functional adults in society. You can't learn that if you're subject to inflexible rules imposed by older folks with their own biases and prejudices. Can't think of a worse way to teach teens than to hit them with a rigid dichotomy of absolute obedience to any rule, no matter how arbitrary or foolish, during the school day followed by do as you please in the evening and on weekends.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
S l u t Day is to be every day now.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Schools need to have a universal dress code or uniform..

You are there to learn..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's why talking about it's a good thing. Teens are supposed to be learning how to be functional adults in society. You can't learn that if you're subject to inflexible rules imposed by older folks with their own biases and prejudices. Can't think of a worse way to teach teens than to hit them with a rigid dichotomy of absolute obedience to any rule, no matter how arbitrary or foolish, during the school day followed by do as you please in the evening and on weekends.
agreed, if there is going to be a dress code at school it needs to be clear, and concise and it needs to be a known...and reminders need to be communicated, it can't be arbitrary or at the whim of a teacher

on the other hand I don't think azz hugging shorts that are cut right up to their crotch or spaghetti strapped tops with v-necks and major cleavage need to be worn to school, no muscle shirts etc.

i have a girlfriend who is covered in tats...she will display a few but for the most part in a business environment she is discreet

no lawyer would go into court in a mid drift top...it's not the time or the place

the school had no coding...they need to decide if they want one and enforce it or move on

Fashions change all the time. I often think back to 1964 when my brother and his friend got expelled from school (during the Beatle rage) for sporting the Beatle hairstyle. Bet no one at that time had the slightest inkling about fads that would follow! If nothing is said the girl will likely go back to conventional attire within a week!
yup fashions do change all of the time

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
agreed, if there is going to be a dress code at school it needs to be clear, and concise and it needs to be a known...and reminders need to be communicated, it can't be arbitrary or at the whim of a teacher
And it needs to be discussed. If you don't give teens some input into the process, then any set of rules you come up with is arbitrary, however clearly you state them.

on the other hand I don't think azz hugging shorts that are cut right up to their crotch or spaghetti strapped tops with v-necks and major cleavage need to be worn to school, no muscle shirts etc.
I'd like to think most teens would agree. Maybe discussing it would be a good way to get buy-in.

Nah, that's crazy talk! Just treat 'em like prison inmates.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Brings uniformity in the students, and it teaches students to dress smartly and take pride in their appearance.
Not sure how that's desirable in a society that prides itself on individuality and individual achievement.

Uniforms create equality among students, so students are judged by what they do and say and not by what they wear and how much money they have.
Also makes sure that creativity and good taste don't have a chance.

Here's a good uniform, accomplishes all the things you want.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Not sure how that's desirable in a society that prides itself on individuality and individual achievement.

Students are in school to learn, not express individuality.

Currently in Canada we have public schools, private schools and Catholic schools..

As far as I know the private and Catholic schools require uniforms to be worn.. at least a few decades ago when I was in school they required it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Students are in school to learn, not express individuality.

Currently in Canada we have public school, private school and Catholic school..

As far as I know the private and Catholic schools require uniforms to be worn..

OK, I bet you thought that was an argument.

Be kinda funny to watch you squeal if a school chose dashikis and hijab as the mandatory uniform.