Earthquake hits England, shaking houses and waking residents

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Earthquake hits England, shaking houses and waking residents

An earthquake hit parts of Kent in the early hours of Friday morning, shaking houses, rattling windows and waking people in the county.

The magnitude 4.2 earthquake was being investigated by seismologists at the British Geological Survey which said tremors had been felt in areas including Margate.

Kent police were inundated with calls.

A spokesman said: “It has now been confirmed parts of east Kent has been affected by an earthquake measuring just 4.3 on the Richter scale (British Geological Survey).

“Police began receiving reports of the earthquake tremor in the east Kent area at around 2.57am. Police and the fire and rescue service had no reports of structural damage or injuries. We will continue to liaise with our partner agencies to ensure we are providing help and support in any areas needed.”

Musician Jake West was in his terraced house in Canterbury when he reported it started shaking.

“At 3am it’s normally quiet,” he told the Guardian. “There was silence, then there was shaking. It was very odd. It felt like there was someone very heavy who was stomping down the stairs.”

Vikki Petts said: “So we just had a 4.3 magnitude earthquake in Kent and my housemates slept through the entire thing. Certainly woke me up!”

Jonathan Tapp said: “Earthquake in East Kent and now can’t get back to sleep. Despite months spent in NZ this is my first one that I’ve felt.”

Iain Buchanan, of Ramsgate, said: “So I’m not going mental, my house shook due to an earthquake in Kent of all places. Thank god for 24 hrs news & social media to find out.

“Lying in bed when the house suddenly shook. Thought something had collapsed outside, so got up to check.

“I’ve looked outside and all appears to be find in the street. No damage that I can see. Will obviously see more later when it’s lighter. Weird experience anyway.”

Other agencies initially recorded varying measurements, including the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre, based in Paris, said the earthquake measured 4.3 on the Richter scale.

It tweeted: “M4.3 earthquake strikes 46km SE of Southend-on-Sea (United Kingdom).”

The US Geological Survey measured the quake as magnitude 4.0.

British seismologists sent a series of tweets in the early hours of the morning and provided some perspective by drawing a comparison with the disaster in Nepal:

source: Earthquake hits Kent, shaking houses and waking residents | UK news | The Guardian

Frack the Fracking Frackers :lol:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Right near Ramsgate, where the 50 "little ships" set sail for Dunkirk yesterday to mark the 75th anniversary of the Dunkirk Evacuation.

Tiny itty bitty. Just like England.

Bull****. You try walking it from Plymouth to Manchester.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Not even a 4 day walk.

It's approximately 300 miles between Plymouth and Manchester. Average walking speed is 3mph. That means that even if you walked at 3mph continuously for 24 hours per day it would take you around 100 hours, or nearly four days. But, of course, you wouldn't be walking at 3mph for 24 hours each day with no rest and no stoppages at all.