Teachers' strike No...Parents' strike Yes....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Thousands of parents keep kids home from school in sex-ed protest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTuaoF-ZFaQ

Incensed at a new sex education curriculum they say will be too graphic for young sensibilities, parents of thousands of GTA elementary students kept their children home from school Monday in protest, with a thousand taking placards and chants of “We Say No!” to Premier Kathleen Wynne’s riding office.

In Toronto, almost 35,000 students were absent, a leap of 144 per cent over the previous Monday. In York Region some 2,000 elementary students stayed home, including 70 per cent of students at Teston Village Public School and 40 per cent at Markham Gateway Public School. In Peel Region, 1,170 students stayed home, with some schools missing up to 250 students.

More Thousands of parents keep kids home from school in sex-ed protest | Toronto Star

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
That is not ordinary sex ed in that new curriculum......How will teaching kids about transgender identity, a nal and v aginal lubrication and such reduce pregnancy?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
My first question to all the parents would be: will YOU teach these things to your child? If the answer is no, then they allow others to, IMO. Better to learn from teachers than kids in the street after all. Teaching kids not just the correct name of the body parts but gradually about other things related to sexual education and health is not a bad thing and I don't get how parents can think it is. They want to control what their kids learn about sex? HA! Good luck on that! If they don't learn it in school or at home, they'll learn it from their friends, on the street or, of course, the internet. Teaching kids the things they need to know preemptively is good.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
My first question to all the parents would be: will YOU teach these things to your child? If the answer is no, then they allow others to, IMO. Better to learn from teachers than kids in the street after all. Teaching kids not just the correct name of the body parts but gradually about other things related to sexual education and health is not a bad thing and I don't get how parents can think it is. They want to control what their kids learn about sex? HA! Good luck on that! If they don't learn it in school or at home, they'll learn it from their friends, on the street or, of course, the internet. Teaching kids the things they need to know preemptively is good.

Well said, sister!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and if the answer is "yes"?

Now this is when you come back and tell me that the answer is never Yes and parents really aren't capable of "parenting their kids properly and NEED to have others do it for them. :roll:

Rather than wait for the stupid replies and defence of the new "sex ed", HERE is the main reason we have problems with teen pregnancies, hint, it ain't because of a lack of "sex ed".

Why teen pregnancy is on the rise again in Canada (and spiking in these provinces) - The Globe and Mail

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I've gone through the whole curriculum.

This is a very good program that builds up slowly from grade 1 until they hit grade 8. One of the key points is to teach the child to accept various people of all different backgrounds. It's not just about the sexual act, but gender identification, social norms and appropriate conduct.

Frankly, if we had this kind of education in our time as kids, you would see less incidents of rape, molestation, unprotected sex, homophobia, etc.

This is a good plan that will become commonly accepted curriculum in a few years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The funny part is that adults' memories are so poor they completely forget what it was like to be teens. Kids are gonna bang. No force in the 'verse can stop 'em.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There's nothing wrong with being gay or transgender or teenagers engaging in sexual activity. There is something wrong with being a bigot, a bully, children developing social and psychological problems from suppressing their identities and suffering abuse from adults and their peers. There is something wrong with teenagers engaging in risky sexual activity that spreads disease, injury or encourages abuse. The way to shift dangerous, discriminatory and abusive attitudes towards sex and sexual behaviour to healthy ones is by educating children.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
There's nothing wrong with being gay
True.

or transgender
True

or teenagers engaging in sexual activity.
Oops, can't support you there. There is frequently a LOT wrong with teenagers engaging in sex.

What's needed is a balanced, informative, parent/school cooperative program to best inform and arm kids for what they're going to face.

Figure the odds on that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Like what?
The stuff you listed, plus having sex because of pressure, for popularity, or from coercion, mental or physical. Having sex with the wrong partner. Stuff like that.

None of which can be cured by keeping kids ignorant of sex.

On the other hand, being a conoisseur of human folly and misery, I find the idea of miserable kids and their self-righteous parents rather appealing. But that's just me.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That was pretty easy, actually. Though, if you really did disagree with me, it would be much more interesting that the usual people that do.
When that happens, we'll have at it. But you ain't likely to hear me hold that keeping people ignorant improves decision making.