Minimum wage in Alberta going to $15 an hour.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Minimum wage destroys jobs for teenagers.

I'm not sure about that but I think it's something the market place has to control, so the value of the output matches the value of the wage and is certainly something Gov't should not be sticking its nose into.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Minimum wage destroys jobs for teenagers.

In every business the costs or fixed expenses of operating a business, always comes out of the consumers pocket book.

So it will create inflation, prices go up and and it's all back to normal. Maybe for a spell business will cut costs by not hiring as many people. Which might be good for Alberta.

The government should be pushing education so people don't have to make working at McDonalds a career choice. (Unless your management)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In every business the costs or fixed expenses of operating a business, always comes out of the consumers pocket book.

So it will create inflation, prices go up and and it's all back to normal. Maybe for a spell business will cut costs by not hiring as many people. Which might be good for Alberta.

The government should be pushing education so people don't have to make working at McDonalds a career choice. (Unless your management)

Sounds good to me!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all it was a promise people voted for. Secondly it does not destroy
jobs for teens. People can pay fifteen bucks. I Pay fifteen for employees
regardless of how old they are when I need help on the farm.
This idea we can pay one little group less is an old idea Used to be women
were shafted now its teens eh?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
First of all it was a promise people voted for. Secondly it does not destroy
jobs for teens. People can pay fifteen bucks. I Pay fifteen for employees
regardless of how old they are when I need help on the farm.
This idea we can pay one little group less is an old idea Used to be women
were shafted now its teens eh?

What do you think is the first thing that is going to happen when dishwashers at McDonalds start getting paid $15 an hour?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
When the minimum wage goes to $15 everyone in the $12-15 range is going to expect a raise to around $20 and so it goes on up the scale with inflation soon eating up any gain the lowest paid might have made.

What do you think is the first thing that is going to happen when dishwashers at McDonalds start getting paid $15 an hour?

Crack dealers are going to make more money.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If Australia is any example, the price of a Big Mac will go down.

Hmm. . . come to think of it, that may not be a good thing.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The wage what ever it is becomes the norm in a month so if the wage goes to
15 the employers are going to be so mean spirited they take it out on kids.
Kinda showe their true colours eh?
15 is a low wage to start with.
The other problem with minimum wage is there is no correlation with the balance
prices get raised so life goes on,
Old man Trudeau put in a wage price control and that didn't work and why
Because there was no margin of profit control and that wouldn't work either.
We have to find a balance for a living wage and get away from a rock bottom wage
and an outrageous corporate wage and benefit system.
No I am not saying all wages should be the same I am saying we need a ratio balance
between the highest and lowest paid. That is found in society that cares about people
affording the things they need and aspiring to achieve what they want with a logical
means to get there through saving and working hard.

Can't do it? Yes we can actually it happened in society from up until the crisis in the
seventies when everything went to hell in the first place. The system wasn't perfect
but it worked better then than now.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The neo-cons go absolutely over the edge in setting the minimum wage at something beyond a subsistence level. While at the same time deeming the parasitic vermin of Wall Street traders and finaciers, who earn $100's of millions is 'capital gains'.. taxed at a fraction of that of honest labour, by way of causing chaos and entrenched poverty around the globe.. are adding something useful to the economy.

The only problem with setting the minimum wage at an acceptable level.. is it has to be done where employers cannot move production to the $1 an hour Maquilladoras off shore, without any restrictions on accessing the domestic markets without sufficient tarriffs on returned product. With the downward spiral that global free markets and monetarism have put on the world's economies.. fair increases in the minimum wage won't work.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Right, how did the poor get demonized with the 'parasite' term ? What the hell kind of sane and moral thinking person believes people who can barely afford basic necessities possibly be parasitic? They're the ones being preyed upon. Preyed upon by a system that doesn't give a **** about them and even keeps them in that povery.

This rich bollywood *******, Salman Khan, who ran over homeless people in India back in 2002 just got sentenced to a measly 5 years in prison. He was of course drunk. And no one believes he'll serve even a day in prison anyways. This is just one example of many of rich literally getting away with murder of the poor, I only chose this example because it was recently in the news.

More disturbing is the common person who defends rich people, "they earned their wealth", "they work harder than their employees", and even some idiots who defended Khan say he"s "above the law". None of these are facts and where they came from is propaganda from those same rich idiots and the commoners should stop lapping it up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When the minimum wage goes to $15 everyone in the $12-15 range is going to expect a raise to around $20 and so it goes on up the scale with inflation soon eating up any gain the lowest paid might have made.

Crack dealers are going to make more money.

Bingo!

The wage what ever it is becomes the norm in a month so if the wage goes to
15 the employers are going to be so mean spirited they take it out on kids.
Kinda showe their true colours eh?
15 is a low wage to start with.
The other problem with minimum wage is there is no correlation with the balance
prices get raised so life goes on,
Old man Trudeau put in a wage price control and that didn't work and why
Because there was no margin of profit control and that wouldn't work either.
We have to find a balance for a living wage and get away from a rock bottom wage
and an outrageous corporate wage and benefit system.
No I am not saying all wages should be the same I am saying we need a ratio balance
between the highest and lowest paid. That is found in society that cares about people
affording the things they need and aspiring to achieve what they want with a logical
means to get there through saving and working hard.

Can't do it? Yes we can actually it happened in society from up until the crisis in the
seventies when everything went to hell in the first place. The system wasn't perfect
but it worked better then than now.

$15 is a low wage for shovelling gravel, but perhaps not so low for someone to answer the phone in certain situations.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
$15 is a low wage for shovelling gravel, but perhaps not so low for someone to answer the phone in certain situations.

I was paid $14 to work at a call centre at a time when the minimum wage was $8 here. So if it stayed that far ahead of minimum wage it'd be around $20/hour if the minimum went to $15.