House totally ruined

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You want to kill people for damaging property??? They'll get insurance money and perhaps a lesson learned not to hand their keys over to complete strangers met online.

I hear you SLM in that all is not lost, but the fact remains that these churlish A$$holes' damage is being paid for by innocent people who had no hand in doing it and besides they've ruined things for the thousands of innocents on both sides who should be able to benefit by arrangements such as this where TRUST should be the main ingredient. My post was slightly "tongue in cheek" but only slightly. Upon having the opportunity to sleep on it I've decided the bastards should be in a gulag instead!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Couple of things, one i would not rent out my house to someone on line to start with,
Secondly why would the insurance company be held responsible? Insurance should
not be paying it drives our rates up to cover someone Else's stupidity.
Those responsible should pay not the the rest of us through premiums and last but
not least the people who own the house were not doing their duty either who would
rent under this condition from an on line transaction. We hear about landlords having
problems when things are done right let alone under these circumstances

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8OJust a bit of stuff spilled on the floor.

Get over it fer Christ's sake.

That quick buck thing/early retirement, didn't quite work out, eh.:roll:

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
If you don't want your investment to be unsafe from renters, don't rent. If you want to take the chance of renting so you can line your pockets while holding on to your investment, then rent it out. That's why people charge security deposits.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
8OJust a bit of stuff spilled on the floor.

Get over it fer Christ's sake.

That quick buck thing/early retirement, didn't quite work out, eh.:roll:
yeah not so much

If you don't want your investment to be unsafe from renters, don't rent. If you want to take the chance of renting so you can line your pockets while holding on to your investment, then rent it out. That's why people charge security deposits.
and use references

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah I would say references could be called common sense although common sense is an oxymoron
they certainly didn't have much experience or know anyone who has rented out...my girlfriend bought a third home recently and rented her primary out...that puppy is going up for sale in two weeks... and she had references and experience...people can be d*cks...

last fall they had a kiddy pool on the wooden deck, totally filled up and were jumping off of the roof into it...they guy was over 300lbs so yes the whole deck gave way....honest to god...

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
they certainly didn't have much experience or know anyone who has rented out...my girlfriend bought a third home recently and rented her primary out...that puppy is going up for sale in two weeks... and she had references and experience...people can be d*cks...

last fall they had a kiddy pool on the wooden deck, totally filled up and were jumping off of the roof into it...they guy was over 300lbs so yes the whole deck gave way....honest to god...
totally separate from my way of life but personally I would not own property that needed to be rented out. I'd sell it. Or,,,in all reality, if my kids didn't need the money, I'd just give it away to someone who needed it.

it is after all just "stuff"

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
totally separate from my way of life but personally I would not own property that needed to be rented out. I'd sell it. Or,,,in all reality, if my kids didn't need the money, I'd just give it away to someone who needed it.
Make sure they have the money to pay taxes on it, or you'll be giving them a nightmare.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

it is after all just "stuff"
wow that would be so kind of you to do that...lots of people make lots of money off of property rental but for sure you have to be willing to put in the time and the work and it's a measured risk, absolutely...a guy that owned a unit down the hall rented out for a while...when the tenants left he took me in to show me how they had redecorated...omfg...they had painted over the oak cupboards...some horrendous apple green colour...AND they wanted to be reimbursed for the paint for unit improvement...buddy was almost crying...took him weeks to restore thing and then he sold...lol sucks sometimes...

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wow that would be so kind of you to do that...lots of people make lots of money off of property rental but for sure you have to be willing to put in the time and the work and it's a measured risk, absolutely...a guy that owned a unit down the hall rented out for a while...when the tenants left he took me in to show me how they had redecorated...omfg...they had painted over the oak cupboards...some horrendous apple green colour...AND they wanted to be reimbursed for the paint for unit improvement...buddy was almost crying...took him weeks to restore thing and then he sold...lol sucks sometimes...
yeah hell of a burden for some folks I suppose

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Make sure they have the money to pay taxes on it, or you'll be giving them a nightmare.
that's funny you should mention that...for a while my city was having a dream home raffle ...lots of construction people and decorators get together and give of their time and construct a new home usually worth around $600,000. and then they raffle it for charity...I always thought my god if I won I couldn't afford to live in it, just the up keep and taxes alone would break me.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
that's funny you should mention that...for a while my city was having a dream home raffle ...lots of construction people and decorators get together and give of their time and construct a new home usually worth around $600,000. and then they raffle it for charity...I always thought my god if I won I couldn't afford to live in it, just the up keep and taxes alone would break me.

You could always rent it out.........:smile::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Years ago, we went through that sh*t 5 times, finally selling the place at a loss and happy to do so. Lesson #1- damage deposits are joke, one damage deposit was totally "eaten up" with cat piss!