NASA Warns California They have Approx. 1 Years Worth Of Water Left

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Scary stuff...

____________________________________________-
The historic low temperatures and snowfalls that pummeled the eastern U.S. this winter, it might be easy to overlook how devastating California's winter was as well.

As our “wet” season draws to a close, it is clear that the paltry rain and snowfall have done almost nothing to alleviate epic drought conditions. January was the driest in California since record-keeping began in 1895. Groundwater and snowpack levels are at all-time lows. We're not just up a creek without a paddle in California, we're losing the creek too.

On Assignment: Focusing on the effects of California's persistent drought
CAPTION
On Assignment: Focusing on the effects of California's persistent drought
Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times
Patterns are created and reflected from water receding on the bed of Folsom Lake. As the state ends the fourth-driest water year on record with no guarantee of significant rain and snow this winter, Californians face the prospect of stricter rationing and meager irrigation deliveries.

Severe drought conditions reveal more than 600 empty docks sitting on dry, cracked dirt at Folsom Lake Marina, which is one of the largest inland marinas in California.

Extremely low levels of water flowing through meandering streams of the east fork of the San Gabriel River in the Angeles National Forest show the effects of the prolonged drought. The water flows into the San Gabriel Dam and the Morris Dam, further downstream.
Data from NASA satellites show that the total amount of water stored in the Sacramento and San Joaquin river basins — that is, all of the snow, river and reservoir water, water in soils and groundwater combined — was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. That loss is nearly 1.5 times the capacity of Lake Mead, America's largest reservoir.

------------

California has about one year of water stored. Will you ration now? - LA Times

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
But frackers and Nestles can take all the water they want but people can't flush their toilets. Personal water consumption is less than 10% of all water use. Frackers use over 30%. Weird dichotomy there.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I think Northern California up in the Redwoods close to the ocean is one of the prettiest places I've been to. Lots of people in that state . Have to be quite the burden on natural resources.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
But frackers and Nestles can take all the water they want but people can't flush their toilets. Personal water consumption is less than 10% of all water use. Frackers use over 30%. Weird dichotomy there.

Your numbers are wrong. Agriculture uses 80% of available water. Btw, where does fracking occur in California?

I think Northern California up in the Redwoods close to the ocean is one of the prettiest places I've been to. Lots of people in that state . Have to be quite the burden on natural resources.

It probably didn't make sense for California to welcome millions of illegal aliens and concurrently stop further water storage development. Too late now.

Just those science-y types saying science-y things again. What do they know? Pay them no heed. :lol:

4/20 dude. :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Your numbers are wrong. Agriculture uses 80% of available water. Btw, where does fracking occur in California?

I got them from a Californian friend.

It probably didn't make sense for California to welcome millions of illegal aliens and concurrently stop further water storage development. Too late now.
You may now have some appreciation as to how the indigenous Californians felt and feel.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

4/20 dude. :)

Fracking watermelons.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

Did he attend public schools in California?

You may now have some appreciation as to how the indigenous Californians felt and feel.

Oh, you have no idea. I understand how those we call the Ohlone felt. I've studied them in order to work their histories into the docent nature hikes I lead. The first mistake of the Ohlone was in not killing Captain Vizcaino when he landed in Carmel Bay. Their second mistake was in failing to kill Comandante de Portola and Padres Serra and Crespi at the first opportunity. Their third mistake was in failing to kill the settlers and imperialists when they acquired land grants from the Spanish and then the Mexicans. Their fourth mistake was in cooperating with the Spanish and Mexicans by serving as vaqueros. By the time of the transfer of California to the US the Ohlone were broken. What was left of them was absorbed into the Mexican population which lost California to the Americans.

The moral of this story is that it is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Did he attend public schools in California?
She is a college professor.

Btw, where does fracking occur in California?
Where is fracking being done in California?

Fracking has been documented in 10 California counties — Colusa, Glenn, Kern, Los Angeles, Monterey, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Sutter, Kings and Ventura. Oil companies have also fracked offshore wells hundreds of times in the ocean near California’s coast, from Seal Beach to the Santa Barbara Channel.

In Kern County, California’s major oil-producing county, 50 percent to 60 percent of new oil wells are fracked, according to estimates by Halliburton. And fracking may have been done elsewhere in California, since state officials haven’t monitored or tracked the practice until recently.

Fracking in California: Questions and Concerns

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
She is a college professor.

In the College of Fine Arts? Post her CV please so we can judge her qualifications.

Where is fracking being done in California?

Fracking has been documented in 10 California counties — Colusa, Glenn, Kern, Los Angeles, Monterey, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, Sutter, Kings and Ventura. Oil companies have also fracked offshore wells hundreds of times in the ocean near California’s coast, from Seal Beach to the Santa Barbara Channel.

In Kern County, California’s major oil-producing county, 50 percent to 60 percent of new oil wells are fracked, according to estimates by Halliburton. And fracking may have been done elsewhere in California, since state officials haven’t monitored or tracked the practice until recently.

Fracking in California: Questions and Concerns

Thanks. All the fracking is in SoCal. No wonder I never hear about it. SoCal might as well be in the Yukon for its apparent remoteness from NorCal.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
William Shatner has a plan to end the California drought
WENN.COM
First posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 06:36 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 20, 2015 06:51 PM EDT
William Shatner is planning to launch a crowdfunding campaign to solve California’s drought problems and build a pipeline from Seattle, Washington to the water-starved state.
As Californians face a summer of water rationing and bans, the veteran actor believes he has the solution to the dry spell - he wants to import water from rainy Seattle.
He tells Yahoo, “I want $30 billion... to build a pipeline, like the Alaska pipeline, from Seattle - a place where there’s a lot of water. There’s too much water. How bad would it be to get a large, four-foot pipeline, keep it above ground - because if it leaks, you’re irrigating!”
Shatner is hoping to launch a Kickstarter.com campaign to raise the money he needs to build the pipeline, adding, “They did it in Alaska, why can’t they do it along Highway 5? This whole area’s about to go under!”
The Star Trek icon’s comments come as Governor Jerry Brown orders urban communities across the state to cut water use by 25 per cent over the next year.
William Shatner has a plan to end the California drought | Celebrities | Enterta

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

There has been oil production in the San Joaquin valley for decades and they probably would have used hydraulic fracturing at some point. One thing about it though, that "anti-fraccing advocates" always ignore, especially in dealing enhanced recovery techniques with mature production, is that it is far better to use produced fluid (i.e. reservoir water and oil) because it lessens the chance of incompatible fluid causing scale (which can totally screw up a well) and it decreases the chance of anaerobic bacteria being introduced, which can also lead to fouling of the well and H2S production.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

If you consider yourself an expert in something or another, you might want to stop pretending you understand things you've never heard of. In a new study, researchers found that self-proclaimed "experts" in a topic were more likely than others to profess knowledge of terms that were actually made up for the purpose of the study.

In the new study, which was published this week in the journal Psychological Science, researchers from Cornell University and Tulane University sought to catch test subjects in the act of "overclaiming" — that thing where you nod in agreement and say "oh, yeah, totally" when someone asks if you know about something you've never heard of.

One portion of the study presented 100 subjects — all of whom had been asked to rate their knowledge of personal finances — with 15 specific finance terms. They were then asked to rate their understanding of each term, not knowing that three of them (pre-rated stocks, fixed-rate deduction, annualized credit) were totally made up.
"The more people believed they knew about finances in general, the more likely they were to overclaim knowledge of the fictitious financial terms," lead study author Stav Atir of Cornell said in a statement. "The same pattern emerged for other domains, including biology, literature, philosophy and geography."

Self-proclaimed ‘experts’ more likely to fall for made-up facts, study finds - The Washington Post

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, if you have A WHOLE YEAR'S WORTH of water on hand ... well, party on!

Dude.

Rocket fuel isn't environmentally friendly.

Hydrogen and LOX fuel really is, actually. That's what the Saturn 5s that went to the moon were fueled with.You make it out of water. You light it up and get water back.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hey, if you have A WHOLE YEAR'S WORTH of water on hand ... well, party on!

Dude.

Hydrogen and LOX fuel really is, actually. That's what the Saturn 5s that went to the moon were fueled with.You make it out of water. You light it up and get water back.
First stage, which accounted for most of the thrust, and all of the thrust in the lower atmosphere, was RP-1 (refined kerosene) and liquid oxygen.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
First stage, which accounted for most of the thrust, and all of the thrust in the lower atmosphere, was RP-1 (refined kerosene) and liquid oxygen.
There you go. What could be greener than refined kerosene? Isn't that what propels Al Gore from lecture to lecture to convince us all to reduce our carbon footprint? I know, you go to make some to save some.