Is this punishment unfair

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Married locum GP who fondled teenager's breasts in 'moment of madness' when she came to him with chest pains is jailed

• Dr Unt Tun Maung, 43, working as a locum GP on Teesside at time of attack
  • He asked vulnerable girl to remove her bra before cupping her breasts
  • Court told he was a clever, respected man who had a 'moment of madness'
  • Currently suspended and is facing General Medical Council investigation

A married GP who fondled a vulnerable teenager's breasts when she came to him complaining of chest pains has been jailed for 18 months.
Dr Unt Tun Maung, 43, was working as a locum GP when he assaulted the patient during a routine examination at a Teesside medical centre in 2012, Durham Crown Court was previously told.
The father-of-one, of Chester-le-Street, County Durham, had spent 12 years working in the NHS, but has now lost everything because of a 'moment of madness', his lawyer told the court.
The attack took place during a routine appointment in July 2012 when the girl went to Maung complaining of chest pains.
Maung then asked the teenager to remove her bra, before cupping and squeezing her breasts before telling her to put her clothes back on.
After the incident, the woman texted a friend to say she felt she had been sexually abused.
In a statement read to the court, she said had not wanted to believe she had been taken advantage of, but she could not rid it from her mind.
Then, when she visited another doctor a few months later with another chest infection, she panicked while being examined, the court heard.
A complaint was made to the NHS, although the police were not alerted for 'several months', prosecutor Peter Makepeace said.
Dr Maung came from a medical family and had worked in the NHS since moving to the UK in 2000, Mr Hurst said, and was held in high regard both professionally and personally.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
On occasion I deal with thieves.When caught it was not the first time they had stolen.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is it unfair? Would you trust him with your teenage daughter? Can't say that I would.

Like it or not, professionals like doctors have to maintain a well above average standard of conduct. We're all in some way, shape or form, vulnerable when we go to a doctor. It is immensely private. We have to have an almost blind trust in the profession or it all falls apart.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You are right he cannot be trusted again so what is the problem here
Take his right to practice and jail him

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I sincerely believe this is not his first offense it is merely the first time he has been caught

He may be brilliant, he may have saved many lives but he is no longer a trustworthy professional

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think this man should not be a doctor again. Never be in a position of authority like he was. But no jail time. We let far worse deeds get lighter sentences.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think this man should not be a doctor again. Never be in a position of authority like he was. But no jail time. We let far worse deeds get lighter sentences.

Yep, he's a bit of an idiot, socially. If it was a necessary procedure he should have had the nurse in there.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
He could become the jail house doctor.

Not sure he'd be impressed with the 20 cents a day (or whatever they pay in jail) :)

Yeah, BUT he probably had fewer excuses for committing his offense.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd say that sexually assaulting children is a jailable offense. If you did it on the job, you should be fired, and if your job puts you in a position of authority and trust with children, you shouldn't be allowed to continue in that profession.