"A disgrace": Alberta Human Rights

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Commission rules against Webber Academy in Muslim prayer case

Alberta's leading independent school, the Webber Academy, was just ordered by that province's so-called "Human Rights Commission" to pay $26,000 to the families of two Muslim students who were refused permission to pray in that non-denominational school.

Nobody is allowed to pray at the Webber Academy, though.
The school is very multicultural but they don't allow prayer or other religious activities there.
But instead of moving their children to a Muslim school, these families ran to the government and cried "discrimination" -- for being treated like everyone else at the school.
Of course, the HRCs sided with these troublemakers.
As usual, the Webber Academy is on the hook for the settlement plus their legal costs, while the Muslim families didn't pay a dime -- taxpayers footed the bill.
This comes on the heels of a Supreme Court ruling that a Quebec city council can't open their meetings with a (Christian) prayer from now on.
It's a disgrace.
"A disgrace": Alberta Human Rights Commission rules against Webber Academy in Muslim prayer case - The Rebel

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well the Harperites have sown the seed..........

What will the Office of Religious Freedom do?

Its mandate is to promote freedom of religion or belief. The government says this promotion will be a Canadian "foreign policy priority."
According to a government backgrounder, the office is supposed to "promote freedom of religion and belief, consistent with core Canadian values such as freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law."
The office’s formal mandate includes:

• Protecting, and advocating on behalf of, religious minorities under threat.
  • Opposing religious hatred and intolerance.
  • Promoting Canadian values of pluralism and tolerance abroad.
Ottawa says the office will focus its activities "on countries or situations where there is evidence of egregious violations of the right to freedom of religion."

more

4 questions about Canada’s new Office of Religious Freedom - Canada - CBC News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Non denominational only means that it is not restricted to or associated with a particular religion. That term in and of itself does not indicate that religious practice or adherence to religious practices is forbidden, it just means it's not restricted to any particular denomination. Secular would be the term they would want to use in order to prevent any religious practice. But their website and "Beliefs and Values" statement the term non denominational is used, along with their stated belief in

"creating an atmosphere where young people of many faiths and cultures feel equally at home"

Webber Academy | Our Beliefs and Values

They also make reference to their values being timeless and honoured by all the world's great religions. So it seems pretty clear they aren't interested in creating a secular educational institution.

After briefly looking through the case as presented and decision, I don't think they, nor the families involved, handled things particularly well, certainly not in an open and direct manner. A lot of assumptions, on both sides. In my opinion.

CanLII - 2015 AHRC 8 (CanLII)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Simple solution is to allow anybody to pray to whomever they want as they decide is fit. I think the issue (if there even is one) would only be that they prevented somebody from praying. Of course, they would have to do the same for the students who wished to pray to other gods as well.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Simple solution is to allow anybody to pray to whomever they want as they decide is fit. I think the issue (if there even is one) would only be that they prevented somebody from praying. Of course, they would have to do the same for the students who wished to pray to other gods as well.
and would they have to provide a prayer room or no?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Well apparently they did and then they said "no, we don't do that" and told them they had to go off campus, which I think is against their own policy if I read the Parent/Student handbook correctly. Anyway, it would stand to reason that what is allowed for one should apply for others as well. Seems to me like they made accommodations and then tried to backtrack later. It was all handled really poorly.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think they would probably want to shove those praying in a room somewhere. It would be less disruptive.
our adult education school has a prayer room and the school is non-denominational...anyone can leave class and go to the prayer room whenever they choose but you are responsible to catch up on any thing missed yourself...I think it's a good compromise

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
our adult education school has a prayer room and the school is non-denominational...anyone can leave class and go to the prayer room whenever they choose but you are responsible to catch up on any thing missed yourself...I think it's a good compromise

I think that is a very reasonable accommodation and compromise.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It seems that muslims have replaced Blacks and Injuns as those that must be coddled and protected at all cost!

In all honesty I don't think that's the case in this particular situation, given all the particulars. Read through the case and testimony.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
True but it seems that every time muslims are given an inch they take a foot..........

I think all minority groups do that. Or it's the perception they give or the one we have. It doesn't help that so many minor and incidental issues get slapped with the label "discrimination" when clearly they aren't. It just all becomes this big muddled mess. Sigh.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Give them all the room they ask for and attach the cost of the facility and the rental of the space.... You'll see exactly how devout they are when they have to pay-to-play

It's time to start doing on the spot Eurcharist at random times of the day. Sudsidized Filet-O-Fish on Friday. Holy Water back in the fountains in our parks and monuments.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is a case of where religion period is held above all other things to be special.
If they want their kids praying as it were send them to a private school.
I think religion no matter what denomination should not have a special place in the
society with any special rights. Having said that praying in not offensive to anyone
that I know of. We do live in a secular society so preference should not be given to
anyone.
The problem is we don't want people praying in public or women breast feeding a
child in public, in some cases so where is the line that is crossed or should their be
a line at all. Let me say breast feeding children is public is fine with me and praying
is fine with me. I am not much for religion been there but I don't see harm in it.
Society has been forced to accept multiculturalism it was never formally accepted
by the people and now we are paying a price for that however the backlash is coming
more than a generation after its inception. Before some set their hair on fire and
scream, I don't have a problem with people coming from everywhere either, I do have
a problem when everyone is suing everyone for slights real and imagined that was
not the intent of multiculturalism but it is the future of the present program that does
not work very well