Mike Duffy trial- predicted outcome!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It would be interesting to see how people think this is going to end. Is Duffy going to found guilty on charges of corruption and skulduggery or is the system going to deemed corrupt? I'm leaning slightly toward the latter. I bet there's a lot of nervous people right now - Harper possibly being the most nervous.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not Guilty due to vagueness in the law.

Again it's all so vague that SFA will happen.

I think you may be right- it's very sad the system is that sick. Duffy is not stupid, he just scoped out the boundaries very carefully making sure he was sticking as close to them as possible. I think there needs to be a clause on "General Principles" in the system under which the Duff would be doing 5 years hard labour! :)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The system is not corrupt, it has worked that way for generations and people
want change. To suggest its corrupt is to suggest people did things that were
wrong. if it in the scope of the law it is not corrupt. Its an outrage but legal
let us be sure we are using the correct terms corruption suggests guilt.
Now Duffy may have crossed the line that is what courts are for to determine the
guilt or not guilty

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The system is not corrupt, it has worked that way for generations and people
want change. To suggest its corrupt is to suggest people did things that were
wrong. if it in the scope of the law it is not corrupt. Its an outrage but legal
let us be sure we are using the correct terms corruption suggests guilt.
Now Duffy may have crossed the line that is what courts are for to determine the
guilt or not guilty

"The system is not corrupt, it has worked that way for generations"

I partly agree- I guess you were cognizant of the goings on of 1958 when Robert Sommers went to jail for 5 years, likely a far less guilty man than Duffy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Has everyone forgotten who wanted to abolish the senate? It was not the liberals or NDP.

I doubt very much if any of them wanted to abolish it (except on paper) I'm sure 99% of politicians would love to belong to an "old boys" club where they can get rich while doing S.F.A. :) :)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So why hasn't he. Instead of abolishing it he padded it with his buddies. Just slightly hypocritical, no?

He has to be very careful Cliffy, if he gets upended in an election, he'll want a cushy spot to get shuffled into. You can be a Senator and spend half the year in Mexico. It just doesn't get any better than that.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
So why hasn't he. Instead of abolishing it he padded it with his buddies. Just slightly hypocritical, no?

Newsflash: In order for Parliament to 'abolish' the Senate, they would need the approval of the Senate. You really think that this is likely?

Besides, if Harper did comply with your demands, you'd piss and moan about fascism and a police state.... Make up your mind on what you want, m'kay?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Newsflash: In order for Parliament to 'abolish' the Senate, they would need the approval of the Senate. You really think that this is likely?

Besides, if Harper did comply with your demands, you'd piss and moan about fascism and a police state.... Make up your mind on what you want, m'kay?
First off, I don't care if there is a senate or not. I was responding to skookumnuts remark about Harpo wanting to abolish the senate and I remarked that Harpo was hypocritical. You, on the other hand, jump in with your usual nonsense because you have already pigeon hold me cuz you think you know what I think. Well, you know what you can do with your pigeon hole. I expect your tandem pissing buddy to be by soon to say something equally as stupid.