cancer victims families should be enraged

nimrod

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2015
why we shouldn't

Nov 2014/issue of Discover magazine had this story.I was surprised it wasn't on mainstream news.Apparently cancer researchers have been using false cell lines knowingly for years.All that donated money,wasted bogus research and still not cleaned up. Below is addition to the article that raises more red flags about our scientists with stats on research errors and malfeasance.

The Dirty Little Secret of Cancer Research | DiscoverMagazine.com

• In the last 10 years, retractions of scientific papers have rocketed more than tenfold, while actual publications have increased by only 44 percent. — Nature, 2011

• The Office of Research Integrity, which pursues cases of scientific misconduct, received more than 400 allegations in 2012 — double the average from 20 years before.

• In October 2013, Science correspondent John Bohannon published an article reporting a sting operation. He
concocted a fraudulent scientific paper studded with anomalies and ethical approval problems, and sent it to more than 300 open-access peer-reviewed journals; more than half accepted the fake manuscript.

• Of 53 papers deemed “landmark” studies over the last decade, only six held up and were reproducible. — Commentary in March 2012 in Nature by oncologist Lee Ellis

• “To be successful, today’s scientists must often be self-promoting entrepreneurs whose work is driven not only by curiosity but by personal ambition, political concerns and quests for funding.” — Ferric C. Fang and Arturo Casadevall, editors-in-chief, Infection and Immunity — J.N.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sounds like the climate change fiasco. Follow the money.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sounds like the climate change fiasco. Follow the money.
Nope, sounds like the racist name of the Washington football team.

No, no! Sounds like gun-banning libruls!

No, sounds like oil sands.

More like the directions of the Holy Qu'ran.

Sounds like all the poor victims of gun violence.

(to the tune of "Lollipop")

Hobbyhorse, hobbyhorse, oo-hobby hobbyhorse
Bop! Ba-ba-bow-bow

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The general public thinks soursop fruit will cure cancer. The general public thinks fruit and veg and plants will CURE cancer.

We know what will PREVENT cancer, but we still want to smoke cigarettes, live in cities, have our house smell like the latest scent craze, we believe marketing over science. We want a pill to slim down, not to exercise and practice moderation. We want to drink our hot beverages out of Dollar store plastic travel mugs. We microwave in plastic. We love plastic.

What we also know that the planet can not sustain an continuously growing population and that people will die young over preventable things.

Being outraged is a wonderfully marketed tool to keep people from discovering and preventing for themselves. They'd much rather feel over it rather then be active over it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The general public thinks soursop fruit will cure cancer. The general public thinks fruit and veg and plants will CURE cancer.

We know what will PREVENT cancer, but we still want to smoke cigarettes, live in cities, have our house smell like the latest scent craze, we believe marketing over science. We want a pill to slim down, not to exercise and practice moderation. We want to drink our hot beverages out of Dollar store plastic travel mugs. We microwave in plastic. We love plastic.

What we also know that the planet can not sustain an continuously growing population and that people will die young over preventable things.

Being outraged is a wonderfully marketed tool to keep people from discovering and preventing for themselves. They'd much rather feel over it rather then be active over it.

OY..........L

We heaved our dollar store plastic mugs because they made the coffee taste like plastic, not for any health concern. Having
read up on a few facts bout the great plastic, I'm glad it changed the taste for the worse.

Now I eat my KFC from a glass plate and only drink (lots of) beer from glass bottles. See, I'm correcting the bad habits.

What's the saying: old, sick, and damn near dead.:confused3:............should add fat too.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are many good reasons why some stories don't make mainstream news.
Mostly they are not newsworthy. Sensational stories with big headlines don't
make them news, that is why we have gossip magazines

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I don't know why anyone should be surprised about this. Research is about money. Big Pharma is about controlling diseases to ensure sales,not curing people.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Sounds like propaganda from people who think you can cure cancers with alternative medicines. Yea cause that worked out great for Steve Jobs.

nimrod

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2015
why we shouldn't

Nov 2014/issue of Discover magazine had this story.I was surprised it wasn't on mainstream news.Apparently cancer researchers have been using false cell lines knowingly for years.All that donated money,wasted bogus research and still not cleaned up. Below is addition to the article that raises more red flags about our scientists with stats on research errors and malfeasance.

The Dirty Little Secret of Cancer Research | DiscoverMagazine.com

• In the last 10 years, retractions of scientific papers have rocketed more than tenfold, while actual publications have increased by only 44 percent. — Nature, 2011

• The Office of Research Integrity, which pursues cases of scientific misconduct, received more than 400 allegations in 2012 — double the average from 20 years before.

• In October 2013, Science correspondent John Bohannon published an article reporting a sting operation. He
concocted a fraudulent scientific paper studded with anomalies and ethical approval problems, and sent it to more than 300 open-access peer-reviewed journals; more than half accepted the fake manuscript.

• Of 53 papers deemed “landmark” studies over the last decade, only six held up and were reproducible. — Commentary in March 2012 in Nature by oncologist Lee Ellis

• “To be successful, today’s scientists must often be self-promoting entrepreneurs whose work is driven not only by curiosity but by personal ambition, political concerns and quests for funding.” — Ferric C. Fang and Arturo Casadevall, editors-in-chief, Infection and Immunity — J.N.
How dietary supplements evade regulation — with dangerous results - Vox

If this was football i might get a penalty for 'piling on' but i couldn't resist this.When i read that 33 billion a year are spent on supplements.
More people wrote to congress over their supplements than they did about The Viet Nam war .
Big Pharma, with politicians in their back pocket ,got pills and chemicals to be treated like food instead of drugs to escape quality control.Its like having judges declare that cats must be considered dogs under the law.

John Oliver makes you laugh and think so it helps with the anger i feel.The Mel clip takes a twist with time too.
Kinda puts a new spin on all the marijuana arguments.Weed doesn't have the right corporations behind it -yet- so it is disallowed because it can't be proven "safe"- yet- unlike other drugs Pharma likes that are "food" and you have to prove they are harmful.
Grass will be legal everywhere if Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" uncanny predictions continue to come true.
'Soma' to keep the populace placid-soon as we can find a way to corner most of it's profit...