What Canada will look like with $40 oil

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
What Canada will look like with $40 oil

It’s looking like a dreamy summer for roadtrippers.

According to TD Economics’ latest Commodity Price report, oil could hit US$40 a barrel in the second quarter of 2015.

“While crude oil prices appear to have stabilized over the last two months, more weakness is likely in store,” says the report. “The market is amply supplied, and storage in the U.S. is expected to bump up against full capacity within the next few months, which should lead to another leg down in oil prices.”

But while the bargain barrel prices won’t hurt the wallet when it comes to filling up the car, long-term effects will be harder to spot says Ambarish Chandra, assistant professor of economics at University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management.

“Oil is fundamentally volatile, we know that, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it spikes again but if it does stay at this level for awhile, I think of exchange rates first,” says Chandra.

For starters, Canada will be exporting less oil products and what is exported will bring in less revenue, hurting the dollar.

“The loonie would be relatively weak for awhile,” he adds. “For a lot of Canadian households it just means foreign goods become more expensive, travel to the U.S. will be harder and less attractive, the same with foreign travel.”

In theory, local goods may be less expensive but Chandra points out companies are sluggish when it comes to adjusting their prices to match lower transportation costs.

“Prices are sticky, they tend not to move,” he says. “They don’t want to change prices and then have to change them back again three months later or six months later knowing the price of oil is volatile.”

He points to the airline industry as a prime example.

“People keep expecting airlines to lower their prices, because after all they raised them in response to the higher price of oil,” he says. “I wouldn’t be shocked if the drop in oil prices doesn’t effect airline prices at all.”

While cheaper fuel and a weaker loonie could give Ontario’s beleaguered manufacturing sector a slight boost – making the decision tougher for large corporations like GM of Canada which is hemming and hawing about pulling out of Oshawa – a recent survey by the Bank of Canada shows cheaper oil has reduced sales expectations and hurt hiring outlooks.

According to the survey, only 40 per cent of the companies surveyed expect to hire more people in the next year versus the past 12 months while 40 per cent will hire the same amount and 20 per cent will hire less.

But the weaker outlook and lower oil price bodes well for consumers keeping an eye on interest rates from the Bank of Canada.

“They will be less likely to raise the interest rates,” he says. “Not that they’re going to raise them anytime soon.”

Ultimately, he suspects oil will bounce back before consumers even notice the effects of cheaper oil on their day-to-day routine.

“It’ll take a very long time for any (changes) to be felt,” says Chandra.

[VIDEO] https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insight/the-effects-of-40-oil-150217828.html

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The boasting is over for our Alberta friends as for the end is near No
It will be tough for them but manufacturing will pick up and that is good
for Eastern Canada. Things won't change much for many but for those
in NS and east it will take a bit of getting used to.
First we have to stop subsidizing oil for America and two we have to
in future charge more for the resourse

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Canada should see this as an opportunity to build up its value added refining industry... rather than shipping raw crude to American or foreign refineries. Only when we limit ourselves to the colonial status of suppliers of unprocessed resources do we make ourselves slaves to global commodity prices.

This could be a benefit to Canadian industry if we dump the failed Free Trade agreements and build up an integrated and self supporting industrial economy.. all but lost now in the Free Market hysteria.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
He points to the airline industry as a prime example.

“People keep expecting airlines to lower their prices, because after all they raised them in response to the higher price of oil,” he says. “I wouldn’t be shocked if the drop in oil prices doesn’t effect airline prices at all.”

Yet when oil goes up again, expect the slimy a-s-s-wipes at Air Canada to jack up the prices again.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Canada should see this as an opportunity to build up its value added refining industry... rather than shipping raw crude to American or foreign refineries. Only when we limit ourselves to the colonial status of suppliers of unprocessed resources do we make ourselves slaves to global commodity prices.

This could be a benefit to Canadian industry if we dump the failed Free Trade agreements and build up an integrated and self supporting industrial economy.. all but lost now in the Free Market hysteria.

Good luck with that one. Go get the permits to build a refinery. Call back in ten years and let us know how close you are to being permitted to build.

We need to change our focus. Here is one way to turn this ship around:

Interesting fantasy. Got any kind of believable data showing it is feasible?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
In downtowm Phoenix I've noticed that they rent bicycles out. Whole slew of those green bikes. Start ridin a stinkin bike instead of drivin all over the place. If ye need to go shoppin pull a damn wagon with ye. Stop bein a slave to oil. I'll get back on this after I drive down to the corner store for an ice cream.