Lee Rigby memorial to be unveiled in Middleton

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A memorial to murdered soldier Lee Rigby is due to be opened in his home town in Greater Manchester later.

The 25-year-old fusilier was killed outside his barracks in Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich, south east London, on 22 May 2013 by Islamist extremists.

The father-of-one was a drummer with the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The bronze drum will be unveiled in a private family service in Middleton Memorial Gardens before going on public view from 14:30 BST.

Michael Adebolajo will have to spend the rest of his life in prison and Michael Adebowale will have to spend at least 45 years behind bars before he is even considered for parole. In December, both killers lost their appeals against their sentences.

Lee Rigby memorial to be unveiled in Middleton

29 March 2015
BBC News

In time, the memorial will include commemorations to other local soldiers

A memorial to murdered soldier Lee Rigby is due to be opened in his home town in Greater Manchester later.

The 25-year-old fusilier was killed outside Woolwich Barracks in London on 22 May 2013 by Islamist extremists.

The father-of-one was a drummer with the 2nd Battalion the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

The bronze drum will be unveiled in a private family service in Middleton Memorial Gardens before going on public view from 14:30 BST.

Other service personnel from the borough who lose their lives will also be honoured.

It is nearly two years since Drummer Lee Rigby was killed by Islamist terrorists

London football club Charlton Athletic last year unveiled this memorial to Drummer Lee Rigby outside their Valley stadium, which is just a mile from where he was killed

Councillor Peter Williams, deputy leader of Rochdale Council, said: "It is very important that we honour him in a respectful way. We're very proud of him."

Welcoming the memorial, Fusilier Rigby's mother, Lyn, said: "It will be a lovely tribute to Lee who put his life on the line every day to serve his country.

"Over time it will remember not just our Lee but other soldiers whose bravery will also never be forgotten."

'Living memory'

His father, Philip McClure, added: "I am still coming to terms with what happened. Lee will never be forgotten and this memorial is keeping his memory alive in his hometown."

His widow Rebecca said: "People will be able to come here in peace, remember Lee and reflect."

In October, Greenwich Council revealed a stone memorial would be placed in St George's Chapel garden, opposite Woolwich Barracks.

Michael Adebolajo was given a whole-life term and Michael Adebowale was jailed for a minimum of 45 years in February 2014 for Lee Rigby's murder.

Adebolajo (left) will die in prison whilst Adebowale must serve at least 45 years before he is even considered for parole

Lee Rigby memorial to be unveiled in Middleton - BBC News

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Is it just me or do Brittish newspapers write at a lower level. I understand the North American papers write at grade 8 level. That seems advance compared to Brittish papers.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Is it just me or do Brittish newspapers write at a lower level. I understand the North American papers write at grade 8 level. That seems advance compared to Brittish papers.

It's the BBC website, not a newspaper. And you can excuse the Beeb for writing like an eight year old. It's long since given up on correct pronunciation and spelling (just like its print wing, the Graunaid) - and even admitted as much last year. It's - yep - the Left again I'm afraid.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's the BBC website, not a newspaper. And you can excuse the Beeb for writing like an eight year old. It's long since given up on correct pronunciation and spelling (just like its print wing, the Graunaid) - and even admitted as much last year. It's - yep - the Left again I'm afraid.

I want just referring to this article but thanks anyway.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I want just referring to this article but thanks anyway.

"I was", not "I want." "Canuck", not "Cannuck." (Whilst we're on the subject of writing like an eight-year-old).

And as I pointed out, it's not a newspaper article. It's from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation's website.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"I was", not "I want." "Canuck", not "Cannuck." (Whilst we're on the subject of writing like an eight-year-old).

And as I pointed out, it's not a newspaper article. It's from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation's website.
Says the cretin who wrote "You're lot" for "Your lot."

*snicker*