Bergdahl charged with desertion

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
finally

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. soldier who was recovered in Afghanistan last spring after five years in captivity, faces charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, according to his lawyer.

Eugene Fidell, Bergdahl’s attorney, told The Washington Post that his client was handed a charge sheet on Tuesday. Army officials announced they will provide an update in his case at 3:30 p.m. at Fort Bragg, N.C., but declined to discuss new developments ahead of the news conference.

Bergdahl, 28, went missing from his base in Paktika province on June 30, 2009, and is believed to have grown disillusioned with the U.S. military’s mission in Afghanistan. He was held captive in Pakistan by the Haqqani network, an insurgent group allied with the Taliban, until a deal brokered through the government of Qatar was reached last year.

Bowe Bergdahl, once missing U.S. soldier, charged with desertion - The Washington Post

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...-us-custody-released-pow-exchange_794017.html

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
That surprises me. Not that i didn't think Bergdahl wilfully abandoned his post.. i just thought the Army would sweep it under the rug with some form of administrative (rather than criminal) sanction and dismissal.

The whole issue of Guantanamo, concocted rationales, collateral damage (and murder), Abu Ghraib and torture associated with the War on Terror... and the Failure of the military expeditions in achieving any of their objectives in Afghanistan and Iraq.. is such a minefield of moral expediencies it'd be hard to pick out this one act as something exemplary and notorious.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Dana LoeschVerified account ‏@DLoesch

So @AmbassadorRice , is desertion serving “with honor and distinction?”

Look Locutus...it has been mentioned MANY times that the Democrats, particularly the ones in today's Administration have very little knowledge of the military and its terminology.

Rice saying Bergdahl served with honor and distinction awhile back simply showed that this current Administration has zero knowledge of what those words mean. They simply don't know the meaning.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
As mentioned, Susan Rice stated that Bowe Bergdahl served with "honor and distinction." She was appointed by Obama and still serves at his pleasure. Her words are directly attributable to Obama as if he spoke them himself. Obama is a disgraceful liar and a miserable failure.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As mentioned, Susan Rice stated that Bowe Bergdahl served with "honor and distinction." She was appointed by Obama and still serves at his pleasure. Her words are directly attributable to Obama as if he spoke them himself. Obama is a disgraceful liar and a miserable failure.

Because the people in this administration simply do not understand what these things mean. They say them and when they are called out on their statements they just have such an odd reaction. They are dumbfounded like...

"What? He served with honor and distinction... he's here isn't he? He's back in the U.S. right? Who are you people? Just go away and leave us be!"

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The morning after the November 2014 Midterm Elections I was watching MSNBC to see their reactions to this shellacking the Democrats and in a way the Obama Administration.

Joe Scarborough... gosh I wish I could find the clip on youtube... Joe Scarborough pushes himself back from the desk and looks down and is shaking his head and said something along the lines of this....

"Odd... they're odd... well that is what the Obama Administration think about the GOP. They've never had to deal with the Republicans ever. Obama and his people have never had to deal with them.... Not in Chicago, not for the last six years.... they just look at Republicans and look so puzzled like... What are you talking about? Why are you here bothering us?........they have never had to speak to them, they do not cross paths with them, they do not hang out with them...... they just have an incredulous look on their faces when they are confronted by them.....like.... Who are you?"

I understood exactly what he was trying to say. That is why I can easily see how Rice can say Bergdahl served with honor and distinction and months later he is being charge with desertion... and still not get it.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Of course he served with honor, if not distinctions.

Right up until he deserted.

Kinda like "he was a real great guy, friendly, helpful, right up until he shot up the office."

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Why is there so much hate?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Great News... but now to think the USA gave up 5 Terrorists for this guy.. sad.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIKzsjznIyc

And if he was executed Obama would be paying the price.
No Soldier, no matter, when possible left behind.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Of course he served with honor, if not distinctions.

Right up until he deserted.

Kinda like "he was a real great guy, friendly, helpful, right up until he shot up the office."

T-Bones... you were in the military and you know what the term "honor and distinction" means. Just ditty bopping through part your enlistment hardly qualifies for that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
T-Bones... you were in the military and you know what the term "honor and distinction" means. Just ditty bopping through part your enlistment hardly qualifies for that.
Follow your orders and you get the "honor" part. "Distinction" is a little tougher.

Not that I'm crediting the White House for much of anything. I agree with Goob they did the right thing to get him back, but playing it up as a noble deed was crap. You go get your guys because they're your guys, not because they're heroes of "honor and distinction."

This is playing out just right. We did what we had to do to get him back (and cheap at the price, look at the numbers the Israelis have to let go for a soldier or two), now we're trying him for a crime.

Turning him into an "honor and distinction" type is typical dumb-*** White House don't-know-jack-about-the-military horsesh*t.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What part of DESERTION don't you understand?

Six good troopers killed looking for his useless ****.

Five dangerous murderers released to get him back.
If you check what I was referring to, it had nothing to do with Bergdahl and everything to do with Balls' hatred of Obama. I just copied and pasted his own words from the Cruz thread.
As far as desertion goes, I have no problem with it. War is stupid and so are those who support it.