USS Roosevelt Visits the UK. Brits In Awe

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
USS Theodore Roosevelt too big to dock at Portsmouth in UK for five-day visit | Daily Mail Online

Shame we don't build anything like this. We spend billions on midgets compared to these. Someone tell the UK goverment it's not against the law to build bigger and better than the americans, we are allowed to have the best and biggest navy on the world without their permission. 10 billion aid budget a year should be going to our defence
.~
Mark-Doncaster

I love America, BUT, I wish they would stay away so we have to spend money on our own defence and stop relying on American firepower for it. America protects Europe, when Europe should bloody well pay for and protect itself.~ Nice Day- Portsmouth

And unlike our new aircraft carriers it's actually carrying aircraft.~ Curmudgeon- Preston

........Wish we had one.......just one.....one would be fine..~ Stevo-Liverpool

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It could wipe out what remains of the RAF on its own. Shame on you Camoron~ Dave. Englandshire

And we actually still think we are a world power. How deluded~ smell the coffee. London

They could probably house our total defence forces on this ship and have room to spare!~ Still Grumpy. Derby

Giggling....

Any Brit ships in Battle Groups like Canadian ships?

I doubt it. Unless they count the harbor tugs that helped guide the carrier into port.

Hey Dave! See those things with wings on the flight deck?~ Scotty. CANADA

Somebody order some, Freedom? :)~ David, CANADA

Maybe the Yanks will loan us a few planes when our carriers are finished.~ Shallotman, Basildon

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now that's what you call a navy, Mr. Cameron.~ Bothius, Manchester

I heard one of the American chaps say, 'she is one of the older ones...' Older ones? Bloody hell, what exactly are the new ones?~ thelightbringer, Hong Kong

The Queen Elizabeth Class wont even be as big as that.~ George, London

Plenty of women in Portsmouth to keep them entertained.~ Proud, Manchester

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I do hope this colossus didn't squish our dinghy (aka our naval fleet) upon arrival?!~ Rostifarrian, Northhampton

That's one impressive bit of kit. A real deterrent!! Take note Cameron before you leave us completely defenseless.~ Extoryvoter72, London

I had a similar one!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
BL left the forum rather early this morning. lol

Lovely to see a large warship heading towards the IS and ready to rain death on them...I think we could send a rowing boat from Oxford and Cambridge, that's about it. ~ TandyUK, Swinton

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Lovely to see a large warship heading towards the IS and ready to rain death on them...I think we could send a rowing boat from Oxford and Cambridge, that's about it. ~ TandyUK, Swinton

Well, dammit, it's the THOUGHT that counts!

No, wait, this is warfare. Good intentions mean nothing.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Reminds me of when we had the USS Lincoln visit Canada.

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a Collision.
Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Reminds me of when we had the USS Lincoln visit Canada.

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a Collision.
Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

As the saying goes, first time I heard that joke, I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur.

And BTW, the Lincoln would have no trouble making a lighthouse change its course. Or cease to exist.

Your call.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I do hope this colossus didn't squish our dinghy (aka our naval fleet) upon arrival?!~ Rostifarrian, Northhampton

That's one impressive bit of kit. A real deterrent!! Take note Cameron before you leave us completely defenseless.~ Extoryvoter72, London

I had a similar one!

My little bro had that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You still mad about 1812. I believe our government has offically apologized. Of course, we apologize for pretty much anything, so...
Right, now you just have to apologise for Guess Who, Celine Dion, Justin Beaver, Nickelback, Due South, Bob and Doug McKenzie, Peter Jennings, Michael J. Fox, Red Green, John Diefenbaker, Molson-brewed Foster's, and the Alberta Clipper, and I think you'll be caught up.