Canadians Unaware How Many Products Use Child Labour

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Canadians unaware how many products made using child labour: World Vision - National | Globalnews.ca

TORONTO – From grape tomatoes at the grocery store to the running shoes on your feet, most Canadians don’t realize how many of the products they buy involve child labour, says a new report from World Vision.

A poll conducted by Ipsos Reid on behalf of the charitable organization found 82 per cent of 1,007 Canadians surveyed admitted they don’t know if what they are buying is contributing to the exploitation of children in other countries. Another 60 per cent said they would stop buying a product and would switch brands if they found out it was made by children.

World Vision released lists of products and their countries of origin as part of the charity’s “No Child For Sale” campaign to help put the spotlight on child labour. Billions of dollars worth of goods are imported to Canada every year from countries where child labour is employed. The report gave examples such as coffee from Guatemala, running shoes and clothing from Bangladesh, and shrimp from Thailand and Vietnam.

The group says the report is designed to push Canadians to ask more questions about where their food and clothing comes from and to demand more information from big brands and corporations about their manufacturing supply chains.

“Whether we’re shopping for strawberries in March or for the cheapest and hottest jeans, it’s tragic how few of us realize how much stuff we buy that is made by children working in horrific conditions. But it’s also not surprising since we have so little information from Canadian companies about their supply chains,” said Cheryl Hotchkiss, manager of World Vision’s No Child for Sale campaign, in a statement.

“Canadians do care – the majority of us are willing to change our shopping behaviour if we have the right information to make the right choices,” said Hotchkiss.

The International Labour Organization defines child labour as work that is mentally or physically harmful to children and interferes or completely deprives a child from attending school. The organization says 168 million children between the ages of 5 and 17 participate in child labour worldwide.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
As I have said before, our society needs the exploitation and enslavement of people and children in third world countries but very few people understand that. They think capitalism works but have no clue how it works. Some know but don't care who suffers so they can enjoy the "good life". But as George Carlin said, "they call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe in it."

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Consumers as a whole, have proven that they won't change their habits on this even if they did know about it.

The lion's share of responsibility is on governments of other states to make sure that they are not exploiting their own people instead of putting the blame on Western states who do business with them.

Your welcome Harper.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
As I have said before, our society needs the exploitation and enslavement of people and children in third world countries but very few people understand that. They think capitalism works but have no clue how it works. Some know but don't care who suffers so they can enjoy the "good life". But as George Carlin said, "they call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe in it."
Some time back I read about the stitching huts in Pakistan. Kids working there for next to nothing making the soccer balls, or other sports balls which were eventually sold by the name brand sports equipment people. Been going on for a long time.

bluebyrd35

Council Member
Aug 9, 2008
Ormstown.Chat.Valley
I worked for the summer at 11,12, 13, 14 and since I graduated from high school at 15 worked full time for a couple of years as a steno, executive secretary. I took evening courses later when I got bored with that job. First job I held was a goffer in a grocery store, then as a maid and a cook for the rest. I was taught how to cook on a wood stove that first year. Dad was very impressed!!

If children from 3rd world countries, are able tto help their family during off times of the school year, from say ?11 or 12, and still continue their education, why stop them. Some reasonable laws on hours, and safety need to be installed re child labour but, it is not reasonable to set the same laws as the most affluent countries have.

I know most children in Canada, are not prepared to work before the age of 15 or 16 these days, even during school vacations, except around the house or on the farm. They mature much later, mostly because of affluence. There is not the need to take on such responsibilities as a rule.

It cannot be affluent nations that set the rules although they are the ones that must have some input re age, hours and safety.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I worked for the summer at 11,12, 13, 14 and since I graduated from high school at 15 worked full time for a couple of years as a steno, executive secretary. I took evening courses later when I got bored with that job. First job I held was a goffer in a grocery store, then as a maid and a cook for the rest. I was taught how to cook on a wood stove that first year. Dad was very impressed!!

If children from 3rd world countries, are able tto help their family during off times of the school year, from say ?11 or 12, and still continue their education, why stop them. Some reasonable laws on hours, and safety need to be installed re child labour but, it is not reasonable to set the same laws as the most affluent countries have.

I know most children in Canada, are not prepared to work before the age of 15 or 16 these days, even during school vacations, except around the house or on the farm. They mature much later, mostly because of affluence. There is not the need to take on such responsibilities as a rule.

It cannot be affluent nations that set the rules although they are the ones that must have some input re age, hours and safety.

Most Canadian children are not prepared to work period.