Pickup truck with 3 adults, 14 kids inside stopped in Saskatchewan

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
going 136km in 100km zone

RCMP in Prince Albert, Sask., say they've never seen anything like it — a speeding pickup truck was pulled over Tuesday with 17 people aboard.

"It's hard to believe what you're seeing, that anyone would take that kind of risk," Staff Sgt. Stephane Caron said. "They were piled on top of each other … very unsafe situation."

An investigation is underway and charges are pending following the incident on Highway 2, about seven kilometres north of Prince Albert.

At around 3:18 p.m. CST, police clocked a vehicle going 136 kilometres per hour in a 100 km/h zone.

Officers pulled the truck over and what they saw next astonished them.

In the extended cab of the truck, which includes a front and back seat, there were 14 people — three adults, 10 younger children and one teenager.

There were three other children in the box of the truck, police said, hiding under blankets.

The ages of the children range from 10 months to 14 years, and none was injured.

Police seized the vehicle and brought in three taxis and a tow truck to take the occupants to their destination.

The truck will be impounded for 30 days, police said.

Caron said he's never seen anything this extreme, but it's not clear yet what charges the driver might face.

"Because it is such a marked departure from what we normally see, we are in consultation with the
Crown," he said. "This is not your normal traffic ticket."

Charges pending after Mounties stop speeding pickup with 17 inside - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
just a guess, but I'd say they were immigrants and the risk they were taking would be considered minimal compared to the risks they took in the life they left behind

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Would those be immigrants of the legal persuasion?
haaaaaaaaaaaa....I don't know BT but legal or illegal they have likely seen the blackest side of humanity, at least black enough that laying a ten month old baby on the floor of a speeding truck seems to be risk free in their world

listening to some immigrants tales has shown me I might not be as resilient or as resourceful as I would like to believe

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
50 years ago this was not at all unusual. If you knew the number of miles I traveled in the back of open pick ups.

A story I often tell to illustrate the difference in time.....in 1968 I took my hunter safety course. We had to be 14 to get a license, but my birthday is in October, so I was 13 during the September course. As a reward for passing, we were told to show up at the Fish and Game on Saturday morning, and to bring a 12 ga shotgun and a box of 7 1/2 or smaller shot. Then the 35 or so of us were packed into the back of 5 or six open pick ups, and driven through the city to a skeet range on the outskirts.

Picture it now............35 FOURTEEN year old boys, armed with shotguns, riding in the back of open pick up trucks through a city.

Nobody even blinked.

Now illegal in SO many ways.

In fact it is illegal to put your dog in the back of a pick up.

I almost think we were better off then.

But I'm not sure.

:)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
50 years ago this was not at all unusual. If you knew the number of miles I traveled in the back of open pick ups.

A story I often tell to illustrate the difference in time.....in 1968 I took my hunter safety course. We had to be 14 to get a license, but my birthday is in October, so I was 13 during the September course. As a reward for passing, we were told to show up at the Fish and Game on Saturday morning, and to bring a 12 ga shotgun and a box of 7 1/2 or smaller shot. Then the 35 or so of us were packed into the back of 5 or six open pick ups, and driven through the city to a skeet range on the outskirts.

Picture it now............35 FOURTEEN year old boys, armed with shotguns, riding in the back of open pick up trucks through a city.

Nobody even blinked.

But I'm not sure.

Yep, all the old women, (literally and figuratively) would be up in arms! :)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Nobody even blinked.

But I'm not sure.

In those days citiots didn't drive trucks so there was no problem. Hell we would ride on a flatdeck with no sides.