Pamela Wallin- Things start to surface?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pamela Wallin allegedly fabricated meetings and misrepresented trips to auditors, court documents say | National Post

Sen. Pamela Wallin allegedly fabricated meetings, charged taxpayers for flights and travel related to her work on corporate boards, and misrepresented many of her trips to Toronto even when confronted by external auditors, the RCMP allege in newly released court documents.

In all, the RCMP allege Wallin defrauded taxpayers of almost $27,500 for 25 trips made between 2009 and 2012. Investigators allege Wallin should have charged expenses to two private companies because the trips were part of her work as a director on the boards of Porter Airlines and wealth management firm Gluskin Sheff & Associates.

Instead, the RCMP allege Wallin charged them to the Senate, writing them off as “Senate business,” without providing any further explanation.
Wallin, the RCMP allege, committed fraud and breach of trust.

RCMP investigating 150 ‘suspicious’ claims from Pamela Wallin’s expenses - The Globe and Mail

An RCMP investigation into Pamela Wallin’s expenses has identified 150 “suspicious” claims, including two dozen relating to the suspended senator’s work as a board member for two Toronto-based companies, according to documents filed in an Ottawa court.

Interviews the RCMP conducted with executives from Porter Airlines and wealth management firm Gluskin Sheff revealed that it is standard practice for both companies to reimburse directors for expenses relating to board events, the documents said.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think any of this is really 'new new' is it? I mean, the auditor's report, the "I didn't know, the rules are so confusing" blah, blah, blah.

What are people who can't read rules doing in the Senate in the first place?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't think any of this is really 'new new' is it? I mean, the auditor's report, the "I didn't know, the rules are so confusing" blah, blah, blah.

What are people who can't read rules doing in the Senate in the first place?

Nothing is new with this except there was a press release from some PR 'pr'.
Also, none of this is new, it's just that TV boy and girl were sloppy and got caught.
All the graft is par for the course, liberal or conservative through the ages.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Nothing is new with this except there was a press release from some PR 'pr'.
Also, none of this is new, it's just that TV boy and girl were sloppy and got caught.
All the graft is par for the course, liberal or conservative through the ages.

Yeah, it's the only true constant in the universe, or something like that.

Not surprising there were no provisions for this type of crime, against the entirety of the nation no less, in the new super duper "let's lock them up and throw away the key" bill.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Duffy? I thought he was appointed by Harper?

Senate scandal: Mac Harb resigns | Toronto Star
Harb is one of four senators whose expense claims are under review by the RCMP. That review will continue, but Harb said he was done fighting the Senate, now that the auditor general will audit everyone’s claims.

Declaring it was “never about the money,” Harb cut a $180,000 cheque Monday afternoon to cover the amount outstanding from the $230,000 a Senate committee said he owed.

He submitted a letter to Governor General David Johnston announcing his intention to retire, effective immediately.

In a written release, Harb said he was also dropping his court challenge against the Senate Standing Committee on Internal Economy report on his case.

It said he delivered a cheque Monday to Sen. Gerald Comeau, chair of the committee for $180,166.17, for a total reimbursement of $231,649.07.