BC Police Chiefs surprised by proposed left lane hog legislation 6:42

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
BC Police Chiefs surprised by proposed left lane hog legislation 6:42

The B.C. Association of Police Chiefs says people who drive in the passing lane are not a priority, despite a recent promise from the province to crack down on "left lane hogs."

B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone is planning new legislation to give more power to police to ticket drivers who aren't using the left lane to pass.

"It did come as a little bit of a surprise to us," said Transit Police Chief Neil Dubord, chair of the association's traffic sub-committee.

"The only drivers we're interested in left-hand lanes are those who drive below the speed limit and impede traffic."

He added that left lane hogs don't apply to Metro Vancouver as much because of congestion throughout the area.

Although police chiefs support the legislation, keeping drivers safe is the association's top priorities with police chiefs wanting more focus on reducing accidents caused by drug-impaired driving and distracted driving.

Legislation a result of consultations

Dubord said the proposed legislation came from the province after consultation with stakeholders over the past year.

"I think they've heard the community say they're frustrated with people who use the left-hand lane to drive too slow and that they were paying attention to that consultation," said Dubord.

Dubord said the association is in ongoing discussions with the province about priorities and possible new legislation that will give harsher penalties to those convicted of distracted driving and drug-impaired driving.

source: Left lane drivers not a priority, say B.C. police chiefs - British Columbia - CBC News

I wish they would go one step further, no Big Rigs in the left lane..

All across the USA, big cities ban Big Rigs from the left lane. You're in heavy traffic, slow down and leave space!! No reason for a Big Rig to be in the hammer lane, and here in Calgary they are 2 feet from your bumper trying to push you down the Deerfoot!!

Ontario drivers are the worst for this... and Ontario truckers, taking a 1/2 to pass another Big Rig.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ontario drivers are the worst for this... and Ontario truckers, taking a 1/2 to pass another Big Rig.

In Ontario, if road is 3 or more lanes, left lane is automatically no trucks.

I have noticed trucks passing are bad everywhere not just Ontario.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ontario drivers are the worst for this...
That's the truth.

But in Ontario we have a HTA law called "Impeding the flow of traffic". If it was enforced, as well as reinforcing the left lane is for overtaking traffic, in drivers ed and testing, it would go a long way to help the situation.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is no such thing as a fast lane They all have the same speed limit. If I'm going 110 why should I pull right to let a speeder past?.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is no such thing as a fast lane They all have the same speed limit. If I'm going 110 why should I pull right to let a speeder past?.
In Ontario at least, there is no speed written in the "Impeding the flow of traffic" law.

The left lane is for overtaking traffic.

And why would you want to be an a$$hole, anyways.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In Ontario at least, there is no speed written in the "Impeding the flow of traffic" law.

The left lane is for overtaking traffic.

And why would you want to be an a$$hole, anyways.

Right. For passing then pull right, it's not for those who wish to go 130.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If the speed limit is Irrelevant so is a "keep right except to pass" rule.

Ever driven HWY 1 between Abbotsford and Vancouver?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
that's what I use it for...not the whole trip but yeah...many do 100 and our trucks stay over in the far slow lane using the middle to come out and pass, they are not supposed to be in the third fast passing lane so yeah lots of us use the outer lane to speed, out of curtsey you pull back over when someone is speeding faster than you then pull back out as you need

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The left lane is for over taking traffic.

Yup. Not for going 130 in a "princess lane".

that's what I use it for...not the whole trip but yeah...many do 100 and our trucks stay over in the far slow lane using the middle to come out and pass, they are not supposed to be in the third fast passing lane so yeah lots of us use the outer lane to speed, out of curtsey you pull back over when someone is speeding faster than you then pull back out as you need

BC doesn't have more than two lanes for non HOV.

Just 3 and 1 is HOV.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
BC doesn't have more than two lanes for non HOV.

Just 3 and 1 is HOV.

our inner lane is for trucks and slow movers although lots of slow movers are intimidated by the trucks so won't drive there

I don't head into the Greater Toronto Area much, the congestion is a nightmare. I do head west often though and it's still a fairly open easy to travel highway. Lot of trucks but they are courteous and stick to the inner lanes most of the time. In fact I don't think I've seen a truck pull into that outer passing lane for more than a few minutes for years. They are to use the middle only to pass and unless it's a safety issue they do.

In the good old days when I was on the road a lot and there were no restrictions for the trucks, if you could get behind an empty one, and he knew you were there, he would get you home in lightening quick time and the other truckers would flash you in and out of the lanes as though you were a part of the truck...those were days when there was less traffic and driving was more fun.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The left lane is for overtaking traffic. Once you've over taken traffic, remove yourself from the lane. If overtaking traffic builds behind you, move to your right, slowing down if necessary, and allow it to pass. Then you can resume overtaking traffic slow than yourself, once again.

It's called courtesy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Since when is it your business what speed I decide to go? If I decide to go 130, I am taking the risk of tickets etc. But if I choose to go 130, I also shouldn't be hogging the left lane either as there are always people going faster than me.

Most accidents are not caused by speeders. Its when the guy doing 140 & 150 meants guys like you doing 100 in the left lane. If other lanes are free, why do you want to drive in left lane?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The left lane is for overtaking traffic. Once you've over taken traffic, remove yourself from the lane. If overtaking traffic builds behind you, move to your right, slowing down if necessary, and allow it to pass. Then you can resume overtaking traffic slow than yourself, once again.

It's called courtesy.

If only it happened that way. On BCs joke of a freeway you can't get out of the right lane to pass because of speeders in the left.

Since when is it your business what speed I decide to go? If I decide to go 130, I am taking the risk of tickets etc. But if I choose to go 130, I also shouldn't be hogging the left lane either as there are always people going faster than me.

Most accidents are not caused by speeders. Its when the guy doing 140 & 150 meants guys like you doing 100 in the left lane. If other lanes are free, why do you want to drive in left lane?

You are risking the lives of those around you. Did they ask you to up their risks?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If only it happened that way. On BCs joke of a freeway you can't get out of the right lane to pass because of speeders in the left.
ours flows pretty good following the rules occasionally you get an azzhat who thinks it's their lane but for the most part it works well

it does matter what time of day you are driving though

commuter traffic follow the rules better that's what I find anyway...

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

Fu€k! Don't tell me you're one of those morons. What if my wife is having a fu€king baby!?!???
Get the fu€k out of the fast lane!!!