Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
and on it goes...

Former pop star Gary Glitter has been jailed for a total of 16 years for sexually abusing three young girls between 1975 and 1980.

Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was sentenced for attempted rape, four counts of indecent assault and one of having sex with a girl under 13.

Sentencing, Judge Alistair McCreath said he could find "no real evidence" that Gadd had atoned for his crimes.

The 70-year-old showed no emotion as he left the dock at Southwark Crown Court.

Judge McCreath told Gadd that it was clear his victims "were all profoundly affected" by his abuse of them.

"You did all of them real and lasting damage and you did so for no other reason than to obtain sexual gratification for yourself of a wholly improper kind," he said.

Judge McCreath said the guidelines dictated that he must take the current sentencing options into account for the historical offences, which had taken place at a time when "the sentencing climate was less severe".

He said: "The offences for which I must pass sentence today took place many years ago at a time when in particular, in respect of one of them, the maximum sentence was considerably lower than that which is now available."

Judge McCreath said the modern equivalent offence of unlawful intercourse with a child under 13 would be equivalent to rape of a child, but said he was not permitted to pass a life sentence.

He said the offence of attempted rape was "so serious" as to justify the maximum available sentence under the old regime of seven years, which he noted would be a lenient sentence under modern guidelines.

'Isolated life' Sallie Bennett-Jenkins QC, defending, told the court that Gadd had been subject to a "very high degree of vilification" and "demonification" in the press after being jailed in Vietnam in 2006 for molesting two girls aged 11 and 12.

She said he had led "an increasingly isolated life" for the last decade and had been unable to walk down the street "without being the subject of vilification".

Gadd was found guilty at the end of a three-week-long trial earlier this month.

He had been at the height of his fame when he attacked two girls aged 12 and 13 after inviting them backstage to his dressing room.

His youngest victim had been less than 10 years old when he crept into her bed and tried to rape her in 1975.

The allegations came to light only years later when Gadd became the first person to be arrested under Operation Yewtree - the investigation launched by the Met in the wake of the Jimmy Savile scandal.

BBC News - Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Other than the few cases, like Glitter and Harris, where people have been jailed for "historical sex abuse", "Operation Yewtree" has been nothing short of a disaster which has been targeting white male celebrities and smeared them as "paedophiles" even though, in the vast majority of cases, they were then set free without charge - after their faces were shown all over the newspapers and TV news - when the the "Operation Yewtree" officers discovered they could not find much evidence against them.

It's time to disband it. It's been nothing but an evil smear campaign.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
perhaps he and rolf can share a cell...debate the toaster settings for crumpets.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Disgusting hellhole of a country awash with creeps, perverts, child molesters, their supporters enablers & apologists.

I should point out that Jimmy Savile was regarded as a hero in the 1980s, famed for his charity work and for hosting the children's show Jim'll Fix It between 1975 and 1994. I was sad when he passed away in 2011. It was only after his death that people came forward to say they were "historically abused" by him.

As for your post, it's a rather silly and bizarre one.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I thought this was about the UK, not the Vatican.

Still upset because the Church won't take you because of your sexual "proclivities"? Really screwed over your dreams when they turned things around and it became public knowledge that the incidences of pedophilia are less than the general public. Maybe try the boy scouts.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I should point out that Jimmy Savile was regarded as a hero in the 1980s,
Which tells us all we need to know about the place...
I was sad when he passed away in 2011.
Which tells us all we need to know about you.
It was only after his death that people came forward to say they were "historically abused" by him.
Just WTF does historically abused mean?
FYI-there are no corners of hell hot enough for child abusers or their apologists.
As for your post, it's a rather silly and bizarre one.
My post is the truth something disgusting apologists can't handle about their equally disgusting heroes.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Which tells us all we need to know about the place...

Which tells us all we need to know about you.

Just WTF does historically abused mean?
FYI-there are no corners of hell hot enough for child abusers or their apologists.

My post is the truth something disgusting apologists can't handle about their equally disgusting heroes.

What part of "People didn't come forward to say they were historically abused by Jimmy Savile until after he passed away in 2011" don't you understand?

Prior to Savile's death in 2011 he was one of Britain's most popular entertainers. For decades he was loved by children and adults alike, for his children's shows like Jim'll Fix It and for his charity work. I loved Savile and was a big fan of Jim'll Fix It when I was a kid.

Such was the sadness at his death in 2011 that a commemorative plaque was fitted outside his flat in Scarborough.

It was only after his death that allegations that he historically abused children surfaced when many of his victims, now adults, came forward.