Toronto boy, 3, dies after wandering from home

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Toronto boy, 3, dies after wandering from home

Kendra Mangione, CTVNews.ca
Published Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:18AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, February 19, 2015 5:01PM EST Three-year-old Elijah, who wandered outside on a bitterly cold morning in Toronto wearing only a T-shirt and a diaper, has died after being found between two houses on Thursday morning.
"We knew it was bitterly cold out there, it was a dangerous situation," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said Thursday afternoon.
"One could only imagine the depth of (the family's) grief... It's a tragedy for the entire community."
The boy was staying at a family member's apartment, located at 145 Neptune Dr., near Bathurst Street and Highway 401, when he went missing.

He was put to bed at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night, and was discovered missing at 7:30 a.m.
After reviewing security camera footage, police said he left the apartment building, alone, at 4:05 a.m., and was seen on the driveway at 4:20 a.m.

Elijah is seen in security camera footage released by Toronto police.
He was seen wearing a T-shirt, diaper and boots, police said.
So far, there is no indication of where he may have been going or trying to go, Toronto Police Insp. Frank Barredo told media shortly before noon.
When Elijah left the building, it was -17 C in Toronto, but felt like -28 with the wind chill. When he was found, it was -19, and felt like -30.
Neighbours, friends, strangers and police from other divisions joined in an hours-long search for the boy.
"He is a sweet little boy," a family friend told media, describing him as shy and good-natured.
Elijah was found at approximately 10:15 a.m., near an air conditioning unit in the side yard of a home on Baycrest Avenue, approximately 300 metres from the apartment where he was staying

Toronto police and EMS at the scene where 3-year-old Elijah was found
Police said they aren't sure of the route he took to get to the yard, nor do they know how long he was there.
He was found by volunteers searching the area, Barredo said. Police were nearby, and called paramedics immediately.
A witness told CTV Toronto's John Musselman that police were crying as they carried the boy to the ambulance.
"It's terrifying to see a little boy like that," Pratheban Thurairagah said.

Flowers at the memorial site for 3-year-old Elijah
Toronto paramedics told media that he was found without vital signs. He was transported to a nearby hospital in life-threatening condition.
At 2 p.m., Toronto police confirmed that the boy had succumbed to his injuries in hospital.
"We will do everything we can to support that family. We'll also connect them with our victim services," Blair said.

Toronto boy, 3, dies after wandering from home | CTV News

Damn. That is so heartbreaking. Poor little guy.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
a lot of lives as they knew it, just ended

a terrible tragedy for all involved in any way

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I was scared my 2nd child would do something like this .
She would get up in the middle of the night and do risky things.

Feels wrong to lock them up in their room even if it could save their life.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was scared my 2nd child would do something like this .
She would get up in the middle of the night and do risky things.

Feels wrong to lock them up in their room even if it could save their life.
yeah that's a hard call but a safety chain up high can work if there are still issues

the problem with a room lockdown is if you have to reach them quickly or if they have night terrors they can't get out to reach you

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
yeah that's a hard call but a safety chain up high can work if there are still issues

the problem with a room lockdown is if you have to reach them quickly or if they have night terrors they can't get out to reach you

I placed a few objects in a fashion that would create enough noise to wake my wife but not me :) :)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I placed a few objects in a fashion that would create enough noise to wake my wife but not me :) :)
great, if she is exhausted and doesn't awaken because you are playing macho male, your kids are in danger

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Neither can I. I can't stop thinking about how scared he must have been.

its not a normal occurrence, for a kid to leave his house in the middle of the night, chances are his environment was rough or the child didn't feel loved.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
its not a normal occurrence, for a kid to leave his house in the middle of the night, chances are his environment was rough or the child didn't feel loved.

Just so sad, put a damper on my whole day. Was the door latched with a latch the kid couldn't reach?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Just so sad, put a damper on my whole day. Was the door latched with a latch the kid couldn't reach?

3 year old kid .... Kids pretty brilliant at that age if he can unlatch an apartment door.