Bank Hackers Steal Millions via Malware

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
PALO ALTO, Calif. — In late 2013, an A.T.M. in Kiev started dispensing cash at seemingly random times of day. No one had put in a card or touched a button. Cameras showed that the piles of money had been swept up by customers who appeared lucky to be there at the right moment.

But when a Russian cybersecurity firm, Kaspersky Lab, was called to Ukraine to investigate, it discovered that the errant machine was the least of the bank’s problems.

The bank’s internal computers, used by employees who process daily transfers and conduct bookkeeping, had been penetrated by malware that allowed cybercriminals to record their every move. The malicious software lurked for months, sending back video feeds and images that told a criminal group — including Russians, Chinese and Europeans — how the bank conducted its daily routines, according to the investigators.

Then the group impersonated bank officers, not only turning on various cash machines, but also transferring millions of dollars from banks in Russia, Japan, Switzerland, the United States and the Netherlands into dummy accounts set up in other countries.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/world/bank-hackers-steal-millions-via-malware.html?_r=0

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . try hitting the space key in between the periods, . . . .
Let unsaid is the 'and look where it got me, same place you always are, . . . . you see no irony in that statement, . .. . . . at all?
You can only cay 'bitch' so many times before you find it a tad boring. Do you want to know the date and the occasion? It could have been the day on the stone-boat when I had to drag my feet off the front as my brothers wouldn't let me do it off the back. First touch whipped me int a plow furrow and the whole boat passed over top of me. Dad was kind of pissed at them once I quit spitting out black dirt. Riding horses by jumping on them off the roof of some shed. Come to think of it Mom only worried when we were in sight.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Considering what all boomer cheers for I'll take that as a compliment this time. At what point do you have to pay be some money for being so close? I've never been able to train anybody to 'fetch' in the past and I'm not expecting things to change in the near or far future.

This is getting close to your bed-time and the adults haven't even chose a subject for the night. The drivers in Boston and such places that get drifted in should have the people who park there idle up and down the street while dragging a few old tires behind (3 works best as you can push snow away of pull it in. Either way you claim the street and the sidewalks as a single area. If the meters fall over so what. The packing snow on your sidewalk saves a lot of useless work. Build a little pile and use a shovel full and a rake to keep the path smooth as pavement but not slippery.

Those kinds of things. I'm sure you have plenty stored up.