Man who threw rocks shot dead by three Washington officers

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Man who threw rocks shot dead by three Washington officers

PASCO, Wa. — The police shooting death of a man who allegedly hurled rocks at vehicles and officers in Pasco, Washington, has sparked anger at what some say is another example of police brutality and excessive force.About 100 protesters marched outside Pasco City Hall Wednesday, with some chanting “It was only a rock,” CNN affiliate KEPR reported. Later in the evening, more protesters took to the intersection where the shooting occurred.

Police say the man — who was later identified as Antonio Zambrano-Montes, 35 — had allegedly been throwing rocks at cars and trucks when he was confronted by officers.

Officers attempted “voice commands and low level force,” and used a taser, police said, but those efforts were unsuccessful.

After two officers were struck with rocks — at least one of them as large as a softball — police said the officers resorted to deadly force.

A video posted on YouTube shows Zambrano running across a street with police in pursuit before he was fatally shot.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0uqFTBclo

Zambrano’s family and protesters are pushing for answers. His cousins were in the crowd outside City Hall Wednesday. They told reporters Zambrano wouldn’t have been able to understand the commands.

“He didn’t understand English and they were talking to him in English,” one cousin said. “Why not get a Hispanic officer?”

A witness, Juan Rodriguez, told KEPR that Zambrano was “telling them to stop… but then the cops, they didn’t listen and they just shot him. All three cops started shooting him.”

The shooting is under investigation by other law enforcement agencies outside the Pasco Police Department, the department said in a statement, and the officers involved have been placed on administrative leave.

Franklin County Coroner Dan Blasdel said Zambrano’s shooting death was the fourth fatal officer-involved shooting in the area in the past six months. According to the Tri-City Herald, officers were cleared in the other three shootings.

The coroner said his office would conduct a separate inquest in the Zambrano case with six community members after the law enforcement investigation is complete.

“I’m looking at doing an inquest because it’s so controversial to the community,” he told CNN. “It takes the burden off the law enforcement and puts it in the hands of the citizens, and puts the facts in public. They can decide if it was justifiable based on the facts of the case.”

The results of the law enforcement investigation will be sent to the Franklin County Prosecutor’s office, which will consider whether to file charges against the officers.

They were identified as Ryan Flanagan, a nine-year veteran; Adam Wright, a firearms instructor with eight years’ experience; and Adrian Alaniz, who has two years on the job.

The shooting comes in a period of strained police-community relations following the police-involved deaths last summer of Eric Garner, 43, on Staten Island in New York and Michael Brown, 18, in Ferguson, Missouri.

The medical examiner ruled Garner’s July 17 death a homicide due to compression of his neck and chest when he was taken down by an officer using a chokehold. His death sparked street protests, a review of police procedures and calls for a federal civil rights investigation. A grand jury declined to prosecute Officer Daniel Pantaleo in the case.

A few weeks later, Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson shot Brown after an altercation in the street. The death of Brown, who was unarmed, thrust into the forefront the issue of law enforcement’s use of deadly force. A grand jury declined to prosecute Wilson, a decision that led to national demonstrations.

source: Man who threw rocks shot dead by three Washington officers | WTVR.com

WOW, I don't know what to say.. but this really is not right. 3 Officers shoot a guy armed with rocks??

They couldn't shoot him in the leg?? They had to kill him..

What this is about the 10th Washington Police shooting in 3 months?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Yes correct, but maybe they should have tazered him....
According to the police statement they did.

They couldn't shoot him in the leg?? They had to kill him..
Police are trained to aim for the middle of the trunk.

What this is about the 10th Washington Police shooting in 3 months?
Never been to Washington state?

Well Pilgrim you have little to look forward to it's a festering dump and that's being polite.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Yeah, trained to shoot center mass, where there is a higher concentration of vital areas and major blood vessels.

But, was the guy a danger to the officers and to the public, which would legally permit the use deadly force. How big was the rocks??

I'm beginning to think that police are looking for the easy way out, shoot first, ask questions later..

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
According to the police statement they did.

Never been to Washington state?

Well Pilgrim you have little to look forward to it's a festering dump and that's being polite.

I've been to Washington State probably 30 or 40 times over the years and have never had a bad moment and that includes every corner of the state from the Pacific shores to the Idaho border.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
He shouldn't have thrown rocks at police officers then.

Sorry. No major news story here. Move on.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah for the cops.. excessive force where there are 3 officers, and only 1 man and they could not subdue this individual??

Usually, I'll support the police but lately there has been some incidents where the cops are just wrong.
agreed

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
He shouldn't have thrown deadly weapons at police officers. The guy got what he deserved.

This is a non-story. Move on.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If some guy was throwing rocks at my car, while I drive by, I'd be mad enough to shoot him.

That's really dangerous. He could kill someone.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They did according to the article.
so Walter is your conclusion that there was no other way for three armed men to subdue a guy throwing rocks at them other than to kill him?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Each time you participate in a high risk behaviour like throwing rocks at moving cars, I think you should own it, and expect a very hostile response.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Each time you participate in a high risk behaviour like throwing rocks at moving cars, I think you should own it, and expect a very hostile response.
death is certainly a very hostile response...so you are in favour of killing someone for throwing rocks?