Sun News Network going off the air, sources say

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sun News Network is going dark.

The television station that launched in 2011 promising “hard news and straight talk” will go off the air on Friday morning, according to two sources who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The closing will mean the loss of 150 full-time jobs and affect about 200 employees and contributors.

The future of the network was thrown into question late last year when Postmedia Network Canada Corp. announced its intention to buy the English-language Sun Media newspapers and digital news sites from Quebecor Inc. for $316-million – but not Sun News Network. That left the TV network ‎effectively orphaned, as it drew its name and some of its content from the Sun chain.

In recent months, Quebecor tried to broker a sale of the station to ZoomerMedia Ltd., which is led by TV veteran Moses Znaimer, but the talks failed, according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations.

‎The news came as a surprise even to some staff at the channel. On Thursday, two employees told The Globe and Mail they had been told nothing about the station’s future and expected to be at work next week.

The channel was known for provocative and opinionated personalities such as Ezra Levant‎, who drew rebukes from regulators more than once. During daytime hours, its programs often drew just a few thousand viewers. But it may be remembered as much for some of its more outlandish moments, including coverage of a charity boxing match between federal Liberal MP Justin Trudeau and since-suspended Senator Patrick Brazeau, and Ford Nation, a highly touted program hosted by Rob and Doug Ford that was cancelled less than 24 hours after its debut episode aired.

It also suffered heavy financial losses due to low ratings, losing $14.8-million in 2013, and $46.7-million over one three-year span.

In 2013, the Sun News Network vice-president Kory Teneycke – a former director of communications for Prime Minister Stephen Harper – tried to persuade Canada’s broadcast regulator to give the channel “mandatory carriage,” which would have required that it be carried on all basic cable packages, boosting its audiences and its revenue. Mr. Teneycke argued at the time that anything less would be a “death sentence” for the network.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) denied the request. But in late 2013, it gave Sun News Network some relief, introducing new rules that force television distributors to carry all five national news channels, including Sun News Network, offering them both à la carte and bundled in a package of discretionary channels.

Mr. Teneycke did not return calls and e-mails on Thursday, and a Quebecor spokesman declined to comment.

Sun News Network going off the air, sources say - The Globe and Mail

guess there wasn't enough amputee midget bride hunters that custom build decks with extreme makeover chefs that collect classic cars and race them against obese disadvantaged minorities with facial disfigurements who enjoy tv doctor, judge and talent segments on sun news.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I do like the CBC and CTV as for Global its alright but not the greatest
Sun News as one friend pointed out he watched it when there was no
other comedy channels with good stuff on. Sun was a joke and not an
ounce of respect was shown to it I am actually happy it was rejected by
viewers

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Oh well. Looks like im back to watching tax payer supported political rag news again. Yeah for progress.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
How will Ezzy Levant ever pay for his recent law suit he lost?

What about Brian Lilley and his chipmunk voice? Would he be welcome back on CJAD or some other right winged talk radio show?

Sun News never turned a profit but oddly enough, that joke of a show, “Ford Nation” where Doug Ford was doing the interviewing netted the most viewers yet It was cancelled after the premiere episode due to logistical issues. ?

It would sustain an even larger blow after Postmedia picked up all the Sun News Papers, which were used as a “critical” source for their Harpercon Infomercial Channel. I am inclined to believe that once Postmedia picked up those papers, they could no longer be used as the Sun News Network for their buffoonery.

It is closing in a haphazard and chaotic manner, much in the same way it operated. Apparently, there are employees who are not sure whether or not they are to show up to work tomorrow.

I wish I could say I feel bad for those who are losing their jobs (as far as tech and office staff go, it would be a blow to them and I can empathize with them), such as those buffoons on the air. However, I cannot as they themselves had often called for closures to CBC and praise Harpercons and other right winged provincial governments for cutting public sector workers or not sympathizing with various labour disputes between unions and management. Hell, they even praised cuts to EI. The only thing I hope for is that they may learn empathy for others who lost their jobs and have not been able to recover as a result.

But then, Harper’s got a lot of empty senate seats these days, would he fill them with the likes of Adler, Lilley and Levant?

There were rumours that Zoomer Media may pick up the network, but evidently, talks between them and Quebecor broke down.

I think even the likes of Zoomer Media knew this would be a black mark on their portfolio.

It should be noted that Quebecor and Peladeau Jr did receive subsidies to the tune of 3.7M$ in 2011 through Heritage Canada’s Canadian Periodical Fund.

Dan Gardner calls this an “indecently enjoyable read”. I wholeheartedly agree. Too bad there is not more reporting like this about Peladeau.

Oh, and remember the news about Conservative Transportation Minister Denis Lebel being a Bloc Québécois member? I asked the folks at the media monitoring service Infomart to find the number of times SNN hosts talked about it. The answer: once, on August 9. How about Turmel’s similar dalliance with the avowed separatist party? 936 times between August 2 and August 11. Straight news, indeed.

Finally, a digression. Last June, Sun News journalist (and proud SUNshine Girl) Krista Erickson grilled dancer and choreographer Margie Gillis, asking her, among other things, “the sum total of grants and public money [Gillis] has received throughout [her] career.” It was a cutesy bit of TV: pit the airy, Atwood-inflected arts type against Erickson’s blond indignation and watch the sparks fly. SNN would be guilty only of ripping off what Fox news does every day, were it not for one not-so-small detail: Quebecor, Sun News’s parent corporation, regularly avails itself of taxpayer dough—and complains, loudly, when it doesn’t get it.

Exhibit A: last year, the company took in $3.7 million in Federal government subsidies, through Heritage Canada’s Canadian Periodical fund.

Exhibit B: in 2010, Quebecor President Pierre-Karl Péladeau threatened to sue the Canadian Media Fundwhen it refused to pony up money for TVA’s Star Académie, our very own version of American Idol that is, in Péladeau’s words, “the biggest success in the history of Canadian broadcasting.”

Now why would the biggest success in Canadian broadcasting history need even one cent of taxpayer money? Sounds like the kind of hard biting question for Sun News, doesn’t it?

Read the whole thing. Good job, Martin Patriquin.

I don’t imagine the figures changed much over the years until Postmedia took them over and even then, is Postmedia receiving those subsidies? Neither here nor there for the purposes of this post, but would be worth looking into in the future. After all, Post Media papers did endorse a Harpercon majority during the 2011 federal election campaign as did about 99% of media outlets. Here is the complete list of endorsements during that campaign. As such, it would appear that Harpercons don’t really need their infomercial channel anyway, they have their YouTube channel.

One of the first thoughts that crossed my mind as soon as I saw the breaking news was articles published by Kai Nagata for the Tyee.

Please read here, here and here for a three part series. Long reads, but I promise you, they are fascinating and masterfully written. I am going to read them again tomorrow when I have more time. I checked Kai Nagata’s Twitter feed this evening to see if he had any comments. Other than a tweet about how the market has spoken about a few hours ago, there is nothing. I would look forward to reading or hearing what his take is on this.

I am intrigued because I, along with others, had believed that Sun News was something Peladeau Jr was always ga ga giddy about. It was believed by Commentators like Norman Spector at the time that Sun News would get Junior the Federal dollars he needed/ wanted to build a hockey arena in Quebec City with the eternal hope that the Nordiques would come back. I wrote a more detailed piece about this in September 2010 that I will repost later. *** for tat. Of course, Stevie never gave any money to Jr nor to Quebec for this arena. It wouldn’t have been politically prudent for him given he would’ve alienated the voters outside of la belle Province.

It also bares reminding that Stevie hisself, was ga ga for a Fox News North channel. Here is a piece written by Linda McQuaig in August, 2010 all about that lunch Stevie had with Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes with Kory Teneycke in tow. Kory, as we all know, was a Stevie Harper spin doctor who later was an executive for Sun News Network. A lunch that was kept hush hush.

Then there’s the fact that the lunch, during an official Harper visit to New York, was kept secret – until being unearthed recently by Canadian Press reporter Bruce Cheadle.

Harper also met twice in early 2009 with Peladeau, according to Cheadle.

Ian Morrison, of the group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, says “all the information I have suggests that Harper has taken a personal interest in this matter.”

Of course, Harper doesn’t hand out TV licences. That’s the job of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).

But Morrison says he’s heard that Harper has been trying to encourage CRTC chair Konrad von Finckenstein to resign, by offering him plum jobs. Von Finckenstein appears likely to stymie Peladeau’s bid for a first-tier licence that would deliver his station to all cable subscribers in the country.
It bares reminding because we must remember that Junior was known to rail against the CBC for being publicly subsidized along with Brian Lilley’s CBC witch hunts he devoted many of his shows to.

Once Peladeau Jr joined the ranks of the Parti-Quebecois, running for a seat in St-Jerome in the last provincial election (and won), it was pretty clear that whatever ties he had to his ol’ dinner host, Stevie Spiteful were gone. However, are he and Quebecor still enjoying federal subsidies? Nonetheless, I started predicting that with time, Junior would lose interest in Sun TV News along with Stun Media papers. Even if Sun News Network were actually breaking even, or even making some kind of profit, he still would’ve unloaded them. It all came to fruition. Junior is now interested in Quebec le pays and, well, Harpercon infomercial channel wouldn’t exactly fit that agenda.

I do still wonder about the transformation of Junior. Yes, Papa Peladeau had always been a hard core separatist, but no one really thought that of Junior. We knew of him breaking bread at 24 Sussex with Stevie. The channel. I wonder if part of his transformation was because Stevie refused to at least chip in for his hockey arena.

Yes, the market has spoken. Sun News is no more and we should look at this as a small positive step, but like I said earlier, contrary to those like Ezzy Levant believe, most Canadian media is not “liberal”, but very much cheerleaders and apologists for Stevie and his flunkies.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Sun News Network shuts down

Sun News Network shuts down

Sun News Network shuts down | 680News

Canadian version of FOX TV clone Sun News Network crashed and burned this morning at 5 AM. Neo-Cons will only be able to read reality news as opposed to the propaganda version of Sun News Network or watch the American version on FOX

Last edited:

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
I think Sun News Network was doing an effective job of making the Conservitive demographic in Canada look like wackos. A positive development for everyone!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Re: Sun News Network shuts down

Boomer, ya have to give liberalman a break as he was so excited about rubbing neo-cons' faces in this news that he didn't bother to check to see if had already been posted. Such are the emotional immaturities of far right and left wing ideologues.

Canadians celebrate SUN News closiing:

Neo-cons:

Me:

Last edited:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I think Sun News Network was doing an effective job of making the Conservitive demographic in Canada look like wackos. A positive development for everyone!

As a supporter of the old Reform Party and someone that considers himself fiscally conservative, I can definitely say that the conservative party is an embarrassment to real conservatives

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
As a supporter of the old Reform Party and someone that considers himself fiscally conservative, I can definitely say that the conservative party is an embarrassment to real conservatives
One would almost think the Conservative Party of Canada had fascist tendencies but they don't