Hostages

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I was just listening to American journalist Austin Tice's parents being interviewed on CNN as they decried the US government for it's inability to rescue their son. Though I sympathize with the parents, I find I have little sympathy for anyone who would knowingly put themselves in harm's way - no matter how noble the cause. And, I wonder if they might have thought twice had they stopped to soberly consider the true consequences of their actions.

I do hope it ends well for Austin Tice and his family.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
If one knowingly puts one's self in harm's way one should have no expectation of being rescued. This is especially true if such a rescue poses a danger of injury or death to potential rescuers.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Trying to rescue him through military action can jeopardize American military personnel and any combat can also endanger civilians. The continued and needless presence of people like Tice makes things worse for everyone.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I do have sympathy for people who try to help refugee children, or try to report to the world what evil people want hidden. In many past conflicts aid workers and journalists were spared, but these jihadis are a particularly nasty contagion. A lot of effort goes into trying to save these people but it's very difficult, particularly with no boots on the ground.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why is there an echo in this place? The world is imperfect all flesh born is destined to see the grave. If you ever need comfort there is the fact that this earth is a seed bank for the next earth as far as what flesh is there for the start of it, down to each individual sparrow kind of saved.
A though you might want to harbor if grief is where you are, at the same time grief that last longer than a full months and shows no signs of receding into the past is something that somebody should be concerned about.

Trying to rescue him through military action can jeopardize American military personnel and any combat can also endanger civilians. The continued and needless presence of people like Tice makes things worse for everyone.
Park the military and everyone would be ordering pizza and have money left for things like fun.