Prince Charles: "My fears for the Middle East's Christians"

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In this article, Prince Charles speaks of his fears for Christians who are being persecuted (by mainly Muslims) in the Middle East and that he is worried that there could come a time when there are no Christians left in the region, with their numbers dwindling dramatically as a result of persecution at the hands of Muslim terrorist groups like ISIS and Muslim governments.

There is only ONE country in the Middle East in which Christians aren't persecuted and are given full and equal rights. Can you guess which one it is?

And it's good
to see the future king and future head of the Church of England promoting Christianity and being Defender of THE Faith (Fidei defensor) instead of trying to be the "Defender of Faith."

My fears over the intimidation of Christians in the Middle East by HRH The Prince of Wales

By HRH The Prince Of Wales
8 February 2015
Daily Mail

There is a real worry that there could come a time when there are no Christians left in the Middle East because the numbers have gone so dramatically down.

With what has happened in Mosul in Iraq and other centres, there are very few Christians left because they were intimidated to a degree you can't believe.

Everything has been taken from them. Many of them are so fearful now of ever going back.

Charles touched down in Jordan last night to speak with a group of Iraqi Christians who sought refuge there

It is a most agonising situation, but we must remember that all around the world there is appalling persecution going on, not only of Christians but of Muslims and of other faiths and religions.

The radicalisation of people in Britain is a great worry, and the extent to which this is happening is alarming, particularly in a country like ours where we hold values dear.

You would think that the people who have come here, or are born here, and who go to school here, would abide by those values and outlooks.

But the frightening part is that people can be so radicalised, either through direct contact with somebody, or through the internet. There is an extraordinary amount of crazy stuff on the internet and clearly some people get particularly affected by it and join with others.

I can see some of this radicalisation is a search for adventure and excitement at a particular age.

So what I have been trying to do with the Prince's Trust and other groups is to find alternatives for adolescents and people at a young age – constructive paths to channel their enthusiasm, their energy, their sense of wanting to take risks.

I started something in 2007 called 'Mosaic', which was designed to try to help young people in Muslim areas, particular in deprived areas in the UK, with mentoring to help build self-esteem and self-confidence.

I have been asking them recently to do more towards de-radicalisation, and there are some really interesting examples of how people can be deradicalised once they become radicalised because they find they are horrified by what it leads to.

Of course, how you prevent radicalisation in the first place is the great challenge. You cannot just sweep it under the carpet. But the most important thing is to remind people of the distortions that are made of great religions, and the original ideas of the founders of these religions.

Often you find their message is so distorted by their putative followers. That's the tragedy and, of course, traditional Islam does not permit this sort of thing.

Inevitably, I find it heartbreaking that these sort of things should happen, particularly when I know that there has never been more activity going on with interfaith dialogue and endless efforts made to bring everyone together.

And the tragedy is even greater because Christians have been in the Middle East for 2,000 years, before Islam came in the 8th Century.

The Prince's Trust and other groups find alternatives for adolescents and people at a young age – constructive paths to channel their enthusiasm, their energy, their sense of wanting to take risks

But I think the secret is we have to work harder to build bridges, and we have to remember that Our Lord taught us to love our neighbour.

When I called myself Defender of Faith all those years ago I was trying to describe the inclusion of other people's faiths and their freedom to worship in this country. At the same time as being Defender of the Faith, you can also be protector of other faiths.

From that point of view, it was very interesting that 20 years or more after I mentioned this frequently misinterpreted phrase, the Queen, in her address to faith leaders around the time of the Jubilee, said that as far as the role of the Church of England was concerned, it is not to defend Anglicanism to the exclusion of other religions but to protect the free practice of all faiths in this country. She was conveying what I was trying to say.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wasn't it fears like this that started the Crusades?

Muslims attacking Christian lands and butchering around 4 million Christians started the Crusades.

Also, are you trying to tell me that Christians (and other non-Muslim faiths) are NOT being persecuted by Muslims in the Middle East and elsewhere and that the numbers of Christians in the Middle East - who were there long before the Muslims - are NOT declining as a result?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The 'full steam ahead' hasn't worked in how many decades? 'Circle the wagons' is almost too late for you.
Where has he been hiding those in-laws?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With what has happened in Mosul in Iraq and other centres, there are very few Christians left because they were intimidated to a degree you can't believe.
Where are they now?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Wasn't it fears like this that started the Crusades?
I'm pretty sure the whole pirate thing was something like ISIS before all the name changes, black flag even. The Crown got lots of money fighting an enemy they just couldn't quite defeat, no matter what. Same as today.

Going in context with the story, is it safe to guess Jordan?
No. You are not a Christian if your side has the highest body count, that would be the False Christian's way of doing things. Carry on, clearly God has left the building.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm saying Christians should pull back and circle the wagons if it is so dangerous. It isn't like 'they' will turn the taps off. The big point, if we are killing more than they are we can't claim we are not in control of the situation. Clarity took her place, you should know that if lucy is with you.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Well if that is the case where is the principal parties that are going to challenge
these thugs? Not all people in the Middle East are bad people but its time to
single out the ones who are and kill them. Here at home all those who support
ISIS need to be rounded up and those who contribute to the ends of these
criminals should be in prison for life or worse upon conviction

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Christians can't even hold their own places together.

Europe Fractures: France Pivots To Putin, Cyprus Offers Moscow Military Base, Germany-US Splinter On Ukraine

Following yesterday's summary of the utter farce that the Minsk Summit/Ukraine "peace" deal talks have become, the various parties involved appear to be fracturing even faster today. The headlines are coming thick and fast but most prescient appears to be: Despite John Kerry's denial of any split between Germany and US over arms deliveries to Ukraine, German Foreign Minister Steinmeier slammed Washington's strategy for being "not just risky but counterproductive." But perhaps most significantly is France's continued apparent pivot towards Russia... Following Francois Hollande's calls for greater autonomy for Eastern Ukraine, former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has come out in apparent support of Russia (and specifically against the US), "we are part of a common civilization with Russia,” adding, "the interests of the Americans with the Russians are not the interests of Europe and Russia." Even NATO appears to have given up hope of peace as Stoltenberg's statements show little optimism and the decision by Cyprus to allow Russia to use its soil for military facilities suggests all is not at all well in the European 'union'.

Lucidity is a foreign concept to mhz.
If it wasn't for the posts slamming me you wouldn't have any to make at all.
Carry on, it keeps you out of the real world.

Isis in Iraq: Britain has no plan for tackling the militants, and no idea who's in charge - Voices - The Independent
Isis in Iraq: Britain has no plan for tackling the militants, and no idea who's in charge

A Commons report revealed last week that our involvement there is beyond parody

The traumatic experience of Britain’s participation in the 2003 Iraq war led the Government to have as little to do with the country as possible. By the spring of 2014, as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isis) prepared its great offensive that would capture a third of Iraq, the political section of the British embassy in Baghdad consisted of just three junior diplomats on short-term deployment. The British consulate in Basra, the city that had been the base for UK military operation between 2003 and 2007 and is the centre of Iraq’s oil industry, had been closed in 2011. Amazingly, Iraq was apparently a low priority for British intelligence at a moment when it was becoming obvious that much of the country was being taken over by the world’s most violent terrorist movement.

These facts all come from the well-informed report by the House of Commons Defence Committee published last week which should be read by anybody seriously interested in Britain’s role in the war now raging in Iraq and Syria. It turns out that, for all the British Government’s bombast about fighting Isis, it has not bothered to develop a political and military policy towards it. This would, in any case, be difficult to do because Government has denied itself the means of knowing what is happening in Iraq. The committee reports that even in December 2014, “despite the UK’s long involvement in Iraq, there were no UK personnel on the ground with deep expertise in the tribes, or politics of Iraq, or a deep understanding of the Shia militia, who are doing much of the fighting”.

PressTV-‘US to blame for war crimes in Ukraine’

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Muslims attacking Christian lands and butchering around 4 million Christians started the Crusades.

Also, are you trying to tell me that Christians (and other non-Muslim faiths) are NOT being persecuted by Muslims in the Middle East and elsewhere and that the numbers of Christians in the Middle East - who were there long before the Muslims - are NOT declining as a result?

I'm not trying to tell you anything at all.

I just asked a simple question.

When it comes to religion in the ME, it has changed hands so many times and so many religions not 'popular' at the time have declined that really this isn't that much of a shock to me. That doesn't make it right; it's not just horrible it's... well it's a lot of things to me. But it shouldn't surprise anyone.

Although your statement that Christians being there long before Muslims is kind'a funny to me and yet sad at the same time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Christians don't 'have lands' they are a group of people that can live anywhere and fit in with the locals rather than killing them all and claiming it was their fault.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well if that is the case where is the principal parties that are going to challenge
these thugs? Not all people in the Middle East are bad people but its time to
single out the ones who are and kill them. Here at home all those who support
ISIS need to be rounded up and those who contribute to the ends of these
criminals should be in prison for life or worse upon conviction
That is a pretty hawkish statement Grumpy . Are you sure you are not a closet conservative .

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That is a pretty hawkish statement Grumpy . Are you sure you are not a closet conservative .

I've been saying that for years!

I have been wondering for years why he has a love affair with US Democrats and Obama. His views are so contrary to theirs 99% of the time.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lebanese Christians (former Palestinians) would love to cut loose on the ISholes. If we back them nobody can say we support Jews and not so radical Islam.