Frugal Janitor Was Secret Multimillionaire

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Frugal Janitor Was Secret Multimillionaire

The man lived modestly and gave no hint of the size of his estate, which he donated to his town's hospital and library.

A man who worked as a janitor has left behind an estate valued at around $8m (£5.2).

Ronald Read, from Brattleboro in Vermont, gave no hint of the size of his fortune before his death in June 2014, aged 92.

The former gas station employee and janitor held his coat together with safety pins and had a long-time habit of foraging for firewood.

However, he regularly read the Wall Street Journal and had a knack for picking stocks - a talent that became public after his death when he bequeathed $6m to his local library and hospital.

His investments "grew substantially" over the years, said his attorney Laurie Rowell.

"He was unbelievably frugal," Ms Rowell said.

When Mr Read visited her office, "sometimes he parked so far away so he wouldn't have to pay the meter".

He left $4.8m to the Brattleboro Memorial Hospital and $1.2m to the town's Brooks Memorial Library - the largest bequests each institution has ever received.

Mr Read also made a number of smaller bequests and his total fortune amounted to roughly $8m, local reports said.

Besides cash, he had an antique Edison phonograph with dozens of recording drums that he left to the Dummerston Historical Society.

Mr Read was born in the small town of Dummerston in 1921.

He was the first in his family to graduate from high school, walking and hitchhiking about four miles each way from his home to school in Brattleboro.

After military service during World War II, he returned to Brattleboro and worked at a service station for 25 years and then 17 years as a janitor at the local outlet of department store chain JC Penney.

In 1960, he married a woman he met at the service station. She died in 1970.

News Source: Frugal Janitor Was Secret Multimillionaire

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Guys like this were part of the reason a friend of mine quit working for Royal Bank-one of his duties was cleaning up loose ends with dead people's accounts and once in a while he'd remember that this or that file was for so & so who came in dressed in rags looking like something the cat dragged in and yet they had all this money that could have kept them comfortably-scared the hell out of him.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Guys like this were part of the reason a friend of mine quit working for Royal Bank-one of his duties was cleaning up loose ends with dead people's accounts and once in a while he'd remember that this or that file was for so & so who came in dressed in rags looking like something the cat dragged in and yet they had all this money that could have kept them comfortably-scared the hell out of him.

What was the other part of the reason, Royal Bank replace you with a Work Permit Immigrant?? :lol:

...or your job was outsourced. Royal Bank is famous for taking Canadian dollars, but giving back as little as possible to Canadians.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I would have bought a large estate in the countryside and a fleet of classic British cars. Sod living like an ordinary person. I'd join the country set, eating Ploughman's lunches and going foxhunting with the locals. I'd employ servants and maids, and go walking around my land with my greyhound.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
What was the other part of the reason, Royal Bank replace you with a Work Permit Immigrant?? :lol:

...or your job was outsourced. Royal Bank is famous for taking Canadian dollars, but giving back as little as possible to Canadians.
You need to learn to read & write the language it would make you life so much easier.

Maybe.