Wrigley Canada to close Toronto gum factory

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Wrigley Canada to close Toronto gum factory - Toronto - CBC News

"The statement said the company will move the Toronto production to a facility in Gainesville, Ga.
The statement thanked employees for "their outstanding service" and said they will be offered a lengthy period of working notice, severance packages and career transition support."

This is a slap in the face for this country and shows yet again that our federal government does not care about the voters.

Every time when a company leaves the taxpayers have to pick up the costs of retraining, unemployment and welfare costs as well as lost tax revenue.

It's time for the federal government to get tough with the fleeing companies that are leaving this country for cheaper labour elsewhere.

All companies that leave this country should have a hefty tariff put onto products that is imported into this country for a period of time and the government should through their entrepreneur initiatives seek investors to set up competing products and hire most of the experienced workers that lost their jobs.

This action would help motivate companies to consider downsizing when markets are down instead of shutting down totally.

What do you think?

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

"The statement said the company will move the Toronto production to a facility in Gainesville, Ga.
The statement thanked employees for "their outstanding service" and said they will be offered a lengthy period of working notice, severance packages and career transition support."

What do you think?

I think this is not good but it is the long and winding trail of Free Trades.

As long as Companies are not required to manufacture in Canada (pre free trades) then they will all drift away.......

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Electricity costs too much in ON. Thank-you Orville Redenbacher's twin sister.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Electricity costs too much in ON. Thank-you Orville Redenbacher's twin sister.

Walter, the company says "consumer preference was the driver"... you know, "the gum category has been declining in recent years". Oh wait, perhaps you have another take on that lil' piece of corporate-speak! But hey, since your boy Harper is now... NOW... all about manufacturing... sumthin bout oil tankin'... surely Steve will step-in and save those 380 jobs!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

This is a slap in the face for this country and shows yet again that our federal government does not care about the voters.

Every time when a company leaves the taxpayers have to pick up the costs of retraining, unemployment and welfare costs as well as lost tax revenue.

It's time for the federal government to get tough with the fleeing companies that are leaving this country for cheaper labour elsewhere.

All companies that leave this country should have a hefty tariff put onto products that is imported into this country for a period of time and the government should through their entrepreneur initiatives seek investors to set up competing products and hire most of the experienced workers that lost their jobs.

This action would help motivate companies to consider downsizing when markets are down instead of shutting down totally.

What do you think?

That would be a typical leftard statement. Force the company into bankruptcy so they can get government grants to hire the unemployable. I can understand a company fleeing a high tax area like toronto.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
That would be a typical leftard statement. Force the company into bankruptcy so they can get government grants to hire the unemployable. I can understand a company fleeing a high tax area like Toronto.

I am saying downsize or move to a different part of Canada and offer their employees a chance to go with them but when they move out of the country and leave the taxpayers holding the bag then their products should have tariffs on them until the rest of the employees are taken care of.When a company moves to another country for cheaper labour it goes against the anti-dumping laws.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Interesting some of the things that can make you a gozillionaire. Chewing gum. I believe the Wrigley Mansion is up on 24th street close to the Biltmore here in Phoenix. Nice place up on a little mountain. Like a little oasis out in the desert.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Chewing gum should be outlawed forthwith. It's a scourge on humanity. My government will ban it immediately when I'm Prime Minister.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I am saying downsize or move to a different part of Canada and offer their employees a chance to go with them but when they move out of the country and leave the taxpayers holding the bag then their products should have tariffs on them until the rest of the employees are taken care of.When a company moves to another country for cheaper labour it goes against the anti-dumping laws.

That is not how anti dumping laws work. Nor what they are intended for.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Anti-dumping laws levels the playing field to keep jobs in this country

Anti-dumping covers selling goods below the market cost.

If we want to retain jobs in Canada, regions or whatever the case is, then we need to be looking at making the business environment competitive. Wrigley wouldn't leave otherwise. Forcing manufacturing in an economic zone is dumb. You want an example? My company develops vaccines that are predominantly used in the European animal health market. The law for some types of products forces final product testing to take place in the European Economic Area. So we spend money developing it here in Canada at our R&D facility, and then we can't even transfer the tests to our manufacturing facility because Europe has protectionist laws. Instead we have to hire contract organizations in the EEA to do the tests for us, or spend a lot of capital to build a new manufacturing plant in the EEA. That;s wasteful to spend so much money for only a fraction of our product portfolio. If everyone -countries, economic alliances, whatever- does the same thing, then what you actually do is make products more expensive as all markets for all products sold everywhere are less efficient.

That's dumb.