Muslim groups 'troubled' by Stephen Harper's mosque remark

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Muslim groups 'troubled' by Stephen Harper's mosque remark

Two national Muslim organizations say they are troubled that Prime Minister Stephen Harper last week drew a link between radicalization and mosques.

Harper made the remark last Friday when he was answering a question about the Canadian government's new anti-terrorism legislation. The measures unveiled in Bill C-51 include criminalizing advocacy for or promotion of a terrorist act. Another measure lowers the threshold needed for police to arrest somebody they suspect may commit a terrorist act.

Asked how to distinguish between teens messing around in their basements and someone who is radicalized, Harper said it would be a serious offence "no matter who you are."

"It doesn't matter what the age of the person is, or whether they're in a basement, or whether they're in a mosque or somewhere else," Harper said Friday in Richmond Hill, Ont.

The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM) and the Canadian Muslim Lawyers' Association (CMLA) said in a press release Monday that they are "deeply troubled" Harper "implicated Canadian mosques as venues where terrorism is advocated or promoted."

"The words used by our elected leaders have a profound impact on public perceptions. At a time when Canadian Muslims have faced hateful attacks and vandalism against their places of worship, the prime minister's remarks have regrettably cast an unjust shadow of suspicion on Canadian Muslim communities and have distorted the nature of security threats," the news release said.

'Jihadi terrorism' radicalization can happen anywhere

The two organizations called for an apology.

"We remind the prime minister that Canadian mosques and Islamic associations across the country are at the forefront in confronting radicalization towards violent extremism and have and continue to work hand in hand with law enforcement and security agencies to promote public safety."

A spokesman for Harper said in an email to CBC News that the prime minister did not say all radicalization occurs in mosques.

"Radicalization towards jihadi terrorism can happen anywhere," Carl Vallée wrote.

"Following the attacks last fall, the Prime Minister specifically thanked members of the Muslim community for categorically and unequivocally condemning the attacks, and recognized the Muslim community for their efforts in fighting radicalization," he added, referring to a Dec. 4 speech to a Muslim association in Toronto.

Harper and other officials have repeatedly cited jihadi terrorism in speeches and comments about the changes proposed in Bill C-51.

source: Muslim groups 'troubled' by Stephen Harper's mosque remark - Politics - CBC News

That's why I voted for Harper and will vote for Harper in the future.. says it like it is..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
"We remind the prime minister that Canadian mosques and Islamic associations across the country are at the forefront in confronting radicalization towards violent extremism and have and continue to work hand in hand with law enforcement and security agencies to promote public safety."

it was a poor word choice at a time when extra caution is warranted...however time to move on

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Too effin bad.
he is our leader Walter, that means it is incumbent upon him to diffuse not infuse and segregate...he doesn't get to spout off without thinking or make those kinds of slips on public

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Are there other types of groups that people become radicalized over in Canada and pose a thread to Canadian safety?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Are there other types of groups that people become radicalized over in Canada and pose a thread to Canadian safety?

Good idea, Twila. I'm starting one today. Wannabe pres .? Or treasurer.?

We need a good name for us radicals.....................anyone ? No, I mean does anyone have a good name.? For the group.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sending in the military without a formal declaration of war qualifies as a terrorist act. If there is such a declaration of war that exists then the world is the battleground. Does he expect Muslims to stand in one spot while Canadian snipers pop them? That's pretty naive thinking.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Good idea, Twila. I'm starting one today. Wannabe pres .? Or treasurer.?

We need a good name for us radicals.....................anyone ? No, I mean does anyone have a good name.? For the group.

YES!!!!! Treasurer please. what are we going to be radicalized over? taxes? puppies? capris pant length? the oxford comma?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Bad drivers. Seriously, theyve killed way more people here than terrorism.

You should email Obama with that statement.. "If I had a son, he would look like.."

Irrelevant here.

Sending in the military without a formal declaration of war qualifies as a terrorist act. If there is such a declaration of war that exists then the world is the battleground. Does he expect Muslims to stand in one spot while Canadian snipers pop them? That's pretty naive thinking.

Cant declare war on an organization. They'd have to formally recognize ISIS as a state to declare war, which Id be fine with. In either case parliament approved it which legally is good enough.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Bad drivers. Seriously, they've killed way more people here than terrorism.

lol. but have they been radicalized? Stupidity seems to be a common theme for both (except it's different types of stupidity) but one seems to have intent. the other is haphazard.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It was a Muslim government which requested our presence.
The Taliban invited us in? I don't think so.
Iraq invited us in? I don't think so.
Syria invited us in? I don't think so.
Libya invited us in? I don't think so/-.
Iran invited us to leave in 1979? Yes.