Auschwitz survivors photographed as children in camp in 1945 reunite after 70 years

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The group tell of how other kids were taken away for experiments as they relieve their nightmare on Holocaust Memorial Day

Survivors: Group pick themselves out from the famous photo taken at the liberation of Auschwitz

Child survivors of the holocaust who were photographed huddled together at notorious Auschwitz have been reunited 70 years after the notorious death camp was liberated.

This is the moment four of the survivors pointed themselves out in the shocking photograph, that was taken by Russian forces on the day they liberated the concentration camp.

The four survivors, 81-year-old Paula Lebovics, 79-year-old Miriam Ziegler, 85-year-old Gabor Hirsch and 80-year-old Eva Kor, have travelled to the camp to mark the anniversary.

Brave: Rose Schindler and her husband Max, who survived the nearby Plaszow camp

They, along with all the other surviving members of the photograph, were traced by the California-based Shoah Foundation, created by Schindler’s List director Steven Spielberg.

Today at the camp, now a museum, the four will join around 100 other survivors and world leaders in a ceremony to remember the six million Jews who died at the hand of brutal Nazis.

Mrs Ziegler was the only child showing her number in the photo, but now she does not know why she was doing it - saying that she may have thought the Russian’s were Germans.

Courage: Survivors get together with a picture of themselves, which was taken the day the camp was freed by the Soviet army

She said: "How come I am the only one showing my number? I don't know what made me do it.”

When quizzed about why she was heading back to the camp now, she said: "I swore I would never go back to Poland, but I feel it's my duty now to do it."

The 79-year-old was born in Radom, Poland, but aged eight was loaded up by the Nazis along with her parents and taken to Auschwitz.

Auschwitz survivors photographed as children in camp in 1945 reunite after 70 years - Mirror Online