Spunky little woman!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If she was out of bounds, should she not be billed for the costs of her rescue?

There's a lot of pros and cons to that. Possibly if it could be implemented fairly. I'd hate to see someone die if they neglected to call for help if they felt they couldn't pay the bill. I would be more in favour of them being urged to do some volunteer work!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
There's a lot of pros and cons to that. Possibly if it could be implemented fairly. I'd hate to see someone die if they neglected to call for help if they felt they couldn't pay the bill. I would be more in favour of them being urged to do some volunteer work!

They won't die. They are rescued. They just owe $30K in bills.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not if they or someone doesn't call for help! Have you heard the expression "you can't draw blood out of a stone"? Dumb to make rules/laws that can't be enforced.

If she ever makes money, the courts will garnishe wages etc. There is no reason taxpayers should be rescuing spoiled little brats that don't follow the posted rules. And as a starter, let's ban her from all ski hills. Next time, they should also take an extra day or 2 to find her.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If she ever makes money, the courts will garnishe wages etc. There is no reason taxpayers should be rescuing spoiled little brats that don't follow the posted rules. And as a starter, let's ban her from all ski hills. Next time, they should also take an extra day or 2 to find her.

Yep, I fully agree, if you want to deal with it in a vindictive manner, that would be the way to do it.

From what I just read in the National Post, it's very questionable whether she actually broke any rules, so you may want to rethink your statements!

"Skiing “out of bounds” or in “backcountry” areas beyond groomed runs is not prohibited at Whistler Blackcomb, and actually forms part of the resort’s marketing. However, it is understood that skiers do so at their own risk — and preferably with a guide or avalanche safety equipment.
Ms. Abrahamsen had hiked into the backcountry by joining a group of skiers at Blackcomb peak, but soon became separated from the pack in the trees."

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Yep, I fully agree, if you want to deal with it in a vindictive manner, that would be the way to do it.

From what I just read in the National Post, it's very questionable whether she actually broke any rules, so you may want to rethink your statements!

"Skiing “out of bounds” or in “backcountry” areas beyond groomed runs is not prohibited at Whistler Blackcomb, and actually forms part of the resort’s marketing. However, it is understood that skiers do so at their own risk — and preferably with a guide or avalanche safety equipment.
Ms. Abrahamsen had hiked into the backcountry by joining a group of skiers at Blackcomb peak, but soon became separated from the pack in the trees."

Why do you say vindictive when one is only trying to save him or herself from being broke due to spoiled brats?

Oh and btw, did you know she is not a Canadian citizen?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why do you say vindictive when one is only trying to save him or herself from being broke due to spoiled brats?

Oh and btw, did you know she is not a Canadian citizen?

I say "vindictive" because I feel some people might interpret it that way. Personally I prefer not being confrontational until someone else gets confrontational and then I can be a real A$$hole, sometimes when you grant a freebe, it pays bigger dividends. The fact she is not a Canadian citizen may be a good reason for "cutting a little slack". Maybe the way you treat one citizen might make all the difference how we are regarded by an entire country.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If she was out of bounds, should she not be billed for the costs of her rescue?

There was a circumstance here in AB a few years back where a couple ventured out of bounds and got lost. As they were from Montreal, there was no friend/family member to report them missing. Within a day or 2 search & rescue started flying helicopters around the local ski hills and found them.. Unfortunately the wife died of hypothermia.

This lady' family was understandably distraught and sought remedy through the Courts via a law suit naming the AB gvt as responsible for her death... The kick-back from the locals was pretty severe demanding that the AB gvt charge her estate with the full cost of personnel, helicopters and resources.

The suit was eventually dropped, but the event goes to show the level of expectations that people feel in terms of being not held responsible for stupid decisions they make

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There was a circumstance here in AB a few years back where a couple ventured out of bounds and got lost. As they were from Montreal, there was no friend/family member to report them missing. Within a day or 2 search & rescue started flying helicopters around the local ski hills and found them.. Unfortunately the wife died of hypothermia.

We had a similar incident here out of Golden!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

What does "at your own risk" mean in this circumstance?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
At least she recognizes her error in going alone. I think her "spunk" is actually youthful naivety. She is very fortunate that her room mates notified search and rescue and that it didn't snow while she was lost.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
.. And those people that willfully flaunt these warnings should be on the hook for the total costs of reversing the damages of their stupid decisions

Once in a blue moon things don't evolve as the result of a single decision, sometimes several factors are involved. Each case has to be dealt with on its own merits. "At your own risk" can be a little nebulous.

At least she recognizes her error in going alone. I think her "spunk" is actually youthful naivety. She is very fortunate that her room mates notified search and rescue and that it didn't snow while she was lost.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it would pay greater dividends in the long run if a mature person had a talk with her and explained a few things that need explaining. Just giving her a bill for $30,000 isn't going to accomplish anything.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think it would pay greater dividends in the long run if a mature person had a talk with her and explained a few things that need explaining. Just giving her a bill for $30,000 isn't going to accomplish anything.

It's like you said. If a person ends up lost and they can't afford $30,000 for their rescue, they may choose to NOT call for help. Search and Rescue will still search for them but it becomes more problematic and possibly more dangerous and more expensive.

The Back country is not prohibited grounds. She hasn't done anything illegal. Just stupid.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Once in a blue moon things don't evolve as the result of a single decision, sometimes several factors are involved. Each case has to be dealt with on its own merits. "At your own risk" can be a little nebulous.

We are all responsible for our own actions. The woman in the OP made a conscious decision to seek untouched powder to tackle... Hers was a deliberate decision and her requirement 3rd party help also put in danger the lives and well being of the rescuers that took on the obligation to rectify her poor choice... With that in mind, she's also playing with the lives of other people too

In this case, what becomes more upsetting is that this woman has stated that she won't hesitate to do it again, despite the risks and her negative experience.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
In this case, what becomes more upsetting is that this woman has stated that she won't hesitate to do it again, despite the risks and her negative experience.

She also stated she wouldn't do it alone and she'd do it with experienced individuals.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
.. And she's still willfully putting herself at risk.

Don't misunderstand me here, I used to cut out of bounds all the time so I know what the allure is, but the fact still remains, she (or I) are knowingly engaging in a high risk activity that was warned against in advance.

Further, if she and these experienced folks get in trouble, they will still be forcing the Search & Rescue people to risk their lives to cover for her stupidity.