Toller Cranston dead at 65

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't get how these former athletes pop off from heart attacks, and fat, over-indulgent smoking drinkers go on and on with only 30% heart use...strange how life works...anyway...may he RIP

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't get how these former athletes pop off from heart attacks, and fat, over-indulgent smoking drinkers go on and on with only 30% heart use...strange how life works...anyway...may he RIP

Is it possible he died of AIDS? All I've heard is rumours.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Is it possible he died of AIDS? All I've heard is rumours.
well, I kind of wondered as soon as I heard...it could affect the heart of course since it affects the whole body...so much more socially acceptable to say heart over AIDs but that's such a cop out that I would hope not

but from a net article:
In the case of AIDS, a skater who acknowledges he is gay or admits to being H.I.V.-positive risks more than loss of privacy. The admission also brings the strong possibility of loss of endorsements from sponsors and increased difficulties when crossing international borders for competitions. The United States has one of the most restrictive immigration and customs policies in the world toward AIDS.
"Rob McCall didn't announce he had AIDS for that reason," Wilson said. "Those final months were an incredibly helpless feeling for him. We were in the midst of our pro career, and he didn't want to quit at all."

it's an old article but likely still relevant

the world in which I inhabit surrounded by the people I choose to allow to be a part of my life...it's difficult to accept that there is a need for denial...but indeed there STILL is

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Obit Toller Cranston, figure skating innovator, dead at 65

Toller Cranston, one of figure skating's greatest artistic innovators, has died in Mexico at the age of 65. 3:58 PM ET read 5

Remarkable man and a gifted skater who changed the face of men's figure- skating by introducing more artistic expression to the sport. His free skates were something to behold. He was our National Champion for 4 years in a row and a mentor to many many skaters. Fare thee well, Toller and thanks for the memories.