Homeowners Sued For Parking Truck In Their Own Driveway

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Homeowners Sued For Parking Truck In Their Own Driveway

David and Arna Orlando are being sued by their homeowners association for parking their pickup truck in their own driveway.

The Kimry Moor Homeowners Association filed the lawsuit in August of 2013, claiming that the truck was not a personal vehicle. The Manlius, New York, development consists of 84 houses.

Kimry Moor’s regulations state that cars parked in driveways must be “private, passenger-type, pleasure automobiles.” Court documents show that Kimry Moor owns the common areas of the development, which include the driveways of all houses. Technically, the Orlandos can park their truck in the garage.

David says that his 2014 Ford 150 is registered as a passenger vehicle and that he does not even have a commercial license. The Orlandos' lawyer, Tom Cerio, said: “This is a silly rule. It's fair to say the association is definitely overreaching. And they are enforcing this rule for a personal-use vehicle, not a commercial vehicle."

David added that he has seen pickup trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles parked outside of many other houses. He has continued to park the truck in the driveway since the case was filed with the Onondaga County Supreme Court.

Paul Curtin, who represents the Kimry Moor Homeowners Association, said the pickup “is not a passenger vehicle by definition.” He added that the homeowners do not own their driveways and must abide by the rules. Other rules adopted by Kimry Moor include no parking of boats and trailers, no tents or shacks and no unusual noise or odors.

David and Arna have also sued the Kimry Moor Homeowners Association for damages, saying that the association has “impeded and interfered with the Orlandos’ quiet use and enjoyment of their property.” They also want to be able to pay Cerio for representing them in the case.

Homeowners associations are meant to keep neighborhoods in good condition and often charge a fee for lawn maintenance, snow plowing and other services.

source: David And Arna Orlando Sued By Kimry Moor Homeowners' Association For Parking Personal Pickup Truck In Their Driveway

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Tarp it. (with a nice tarp) Streets are public property in most places so as long as your plates are up to date it is legal.
Do it yourself is not a tax deduction at the end of the year, that is the new job market to keep the stats acceptable might be the reasons behind the maintenance issues. I've had some 'neighbors' that needed a combine to do the lawn. Grass grows slower when it's slightly brown, gardens deserve help with water.
At least you don't have to repair it when it fails. Be nice if the rain that fell was theirs too so they had to keep the roof in good repair. The new trailer park with the wheels option removed.

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A near new F-150 is one thing. A twenty year old junker pickup that is rusted to the door handles is somethig else. I'm not sure anybody
has the right to tell me whether I can park my pickup in my driveway. As long as it is legally driveable, it should be my business.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That was their point, the driveway doesn't belong to you so they get to call the shots, if it did you would be doing the maintenance. This is the US, they tape how much paint is used on the curb by the hydrants and a lot of other conformity laws. Not really seamless mesh with the Canadian wilderness style where 'nice swamp' is actually an earned compliment.

It's that 'rebel decal' in the back window.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Over the years I have seen many cases of over zealous application of rules in order to generate revenues in Central New York (or CNY as it is commonly referred to). These people will make any and every excuse imaginable to pick people's pockets and this is but one example. Obviously this is a passenger vehicle. But what do the authorities care? All they want is more money in their greedy pockets.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Wasn't it the NY State Homeowners association who had an emergency meeting after a black hockey player was on the Olympic championship team? I believe the fear was that violence with sharpened skates might skyrocket.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Dunno but I well remember cases of some counties taking people's small farms because of unpaid taxes that were no more than a couple of hundred dollars. Forced those poor folks to go homeless and they never recovered their farms. Darn shame.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
This is the reason I would never live amongst condo Nazis they are all the same

I have one of those on the other side of the street.

Screamed at my kids once. I invited myself over to his house to have a little chat.
My landlord told me he's absolutely scared sh!tless of me since.

Fu€ken people who call the city over everything are a pain.
But once they know you're a lose cannon. They stay well away from ya.

Should see how polite he is to me now, when I see him in the street.

(((╹д╹;)))