Canadians regularly going to U.S. for long stays need to be mindful of changes

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Canadians regularly going to U.S. for long stays need to be mindful of changes

A B.C. MP is warning people about a new information-sharing agreement between Canada and the United States that could put travellers who regularly spend a lot of time in the U.S. at risk of significant consequences.

The Entry Exit Initiative allows officials to track how many days Canadians have spent in the U.S. Prior to the agreement, the country could only track entry dates, not exit dates.

"We were specially wanting to alert people that this could potentially be a problem for them if they were being careless about their travel," said Gail Hunnisett, constituency assistant for Alex Atamanenko, MP for B.C. Southern Interior.

Hunnisett said she's been fielding a lot of calls since Atamanenko's office put out the information.

She said a common misconception is that Canadians regularly travelling to the U.S. for long stays can spend up to 182 days, or six months, in the U.S without being considered a resident for tax purposes.

Hunnisett said that for people travelling to the U.S. for long stays year after year, it's actually 120 days, or four months, averaged using a special formula over a period of three years.

"The total number of days spent in the current travel year is added to 1/3 the total number of days spent in the previous year, and 1/6 the number of days spent in the year prior to that," according to Atamanenko's website.

The total number of days includes all trips to the U.S. in a single year, said Hunnisett.

Hunnisett said Canadians spending more than 120 days in the U.S for three years or more in a row can extend their stay limit to 182 days and avoid being considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes by filling out a Closer Connection Exception Statement form detailing their close ties to Canada annually.

Canadians who overstay their welcome in the U.S. are at risk of:

• Being considered a U.S. resident for tax purposes and having to pay taxes on worldwide income.
  • Losing their Canadian residency for tax purposes and their health care.
  • Being deemed illegally resident in the U.S. and being banned from the country for three to 10 years.

"Anyone who travels to the U.S. regularly should keep a log and make sure they're accurate if they're asked to substantiate their time across the border," said Hunnisett.

She said the rules of length of stay haven't changed, only the information that can be shared between borders.

Hunnisett said that so far she hasn't spoken with anyone who's run into trouble with the rules.

For more tips, listen to the full interview with Gail Hunnisett. Click on the audio labelled: Gail Hunnisett's tips for Canadian snowbirds.

source: Canadians regularly going to U.S. for long stays need to be mindful of changes, says MP - British Columbia - CBC News

Just get rid of the bloody border already. 51st Staters.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That'll put a crimp in the style of people who want the benefits of both countries

One of the reasons why I picked one and no more back and forth.

Used to spend winters in the USA and Summers in Canada.. now Canada 11 months out of the year.. 1 month, Mexico, or Cuba, or Asia.

I notice the only issue is tax money so you're good to go boomer, ****tards still allowed.

When are you leaving MegaButtHurtz, to Syria to fight for ISIS? Oh never mind, your just a coward that defends people who hide behind women and children, you don't have the balls as a man to fight in a real battle.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
For ISIS?? Why would I want to support the US when it is still a corrupt nation? All I have to do is sit back and watch our dollar crumble and Russia and Syria can eliminate the proxy army of the US.
I've been in lots of fights, you feeling lucky? Of wait you idea of a fair fight is when you can bait somebody. I love running into real men like you who cry like little bitches when their *** is handed to them. Not unlike the knifer in Israel that got shot in the leg, cried like a baby.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
With all the sh*t that's happened financially recently no one but fat tycoons will be affording to visit the U.S. for an extended period in the foreseeable future. It's a moot issue! :)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
For ISIS?? Why would I want to support the US when it is still a corrupt nation? All I have to do is sit back and watch our dollar crumble and Russia and Syria can eliminate the proxy army of the US.
I've been in lots of fights, you feeling lucky? Of wait you idea of a fair fight is when you can bait somebody. I love running into real men like you who cry like little bitches when their *** is handed to them. Not unlike the knifer in Israel that got shot in the leg, cried like a baby.

More BullShyte from the Forum Pulpit.

I've been in lots of fights, you feeling lucky?

You really need to chill on the stupid threats MHz..

1. It's against forum rules,

2. If one seriously felt threatened by your childish chest beating, the police could seize CC's IP's with a warrant and show up at your door with an arrest warrant.

The Internet is not as anonymous as you apparently think. I'm sorta surprised with all your Terrorist supporting babble, you're not already cooling your heals in a Penitentiary, waiting for a one way flight back to wherever the hell you immigrated to Canada from.

Now!!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Alberta is my homeland, you threatening to deport me to Canada???
You got a real purty mouth there boomer, care to post one of you butt so I know what size branding iron to put in the fire?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Alberta is my homeland, you threatening to deport me to Canada???
You got a real purty mouth there boomer, care to post one of you butt so I know what size branding iron to put in the fire?

Buddy, your English and Comprehension sucks.. if you were born here, our school system really needs improvement.

So I'm going to call "BS" on Alberta being your HomeLand and say you just got your balls caught.. well..

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Buddy, your English and Comprehension sucks.. if you were born here, our school system really needs improvement.

So I'm going to call "BS" on Alberta being your HomeLand and say you just got your balls caught.. well..

i wonder if the police will get any ideas from this? :shock: ;)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Comprehension doesn't get a capital letter when it is in the middle of a sentence, I thought you should know that.

You want the home quarter location? Be better if I showed it to you, it's quite far back in the bush.
If I am the backwards one then why am I the only one of us with any moral standards as far as the rights of all women and children go. (and barbers) Seems the school system fuked up with you and who you hang with.

When you lose you going to Texas op live off your Mexican drivers. (you cheating them out of higher wages and healthcare)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
i wonder if the police will get any ideas from this? :shock: ;)

They already have..

Top 374 keywords the U.S. government monitors | ZDNet

...and don't think Canada, or the UK does not do it either. They have super computers that spiders the Internet for keywords, on Chat Forums, Chat Rooms and so on.

I'm pretty sure they follow up from time to time are anything Islamic retaliated.

I the only one of us with any moral standards as far as the rights of all women and children go.

Yeah you support Islam, a religion that subjugates women and marries off child brides. Yeah I see your moral standards.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I think boomer missed the cruelty to small animals factor in that. This is boomer at the core, none of it is going to have any appeal.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm pretty sure they follow up from time to time are anything Islamic retaliated.

Yeah you support Islam, a religion that subjugates women and marries off child brides. Yeah I see your moral standards.
I'm pretty sure they follow up on anything crime related.

You have to go back to 600AD, You dumb fuk the God I worship sent a flood that wiped out the whole world in a flood of water. I'm quite sure the flood of fire won't be any kinder. I'm pretty sure God will be putting in hell on that blessed day. There isn't a lot you can say that makes you a bigger threat than that.
What was it that caused you to start a cheering thread about bombing 2 year old children, that is the core of your moral base. Using that stance against me only makes me stronger. (that is why you had to use the stupid examples you did.

Go shoot some squirrels tough guy.
They and the Chipmunks sit on my shoulder when I'm giving them a few seeds, I don't see that happening. How small of a person do you have to be to wage war against squirrels. Let me guess, your pet name for them is 'tree-rat'.

a religion that subjugates women and marries off child brides. Yeah I see your moral standards.
Even you 'friends' would like you to stop as they supply child brides for a price.
Dowry
DOWRY (Heb. נְדֻנְיָה), the property a wife brings to her husband at marriage; the Yiddish equivalent, nadn, is from the same root. The custom of nedunyah became clearly defined and institutionalized only in the talmudic period. In biblical times, mohar (מֹהַר), whereby the groom bought his wife from her father (Gen. 24:53; Ex. 22:15–16; Hos. 3:2), was the accepted practice. It was then customary that the groom give the bride gifts, and that she bring certain property to her husband's home upon marriage: slaves, cattle, real estate, etc. (cf. Gen. 24:59–61; 29; Judg. 1:14ff.; I Kings 9:16). Evidence of the custom of nedunyah is to be found in Tobit (7:14; 8:21) and in the Assuan papyri (Cowley, Aramaic, nos. 15, 18). Gradually, mohar was superseded by the ketubbah custom according to which the husband merely assumed the responsibility of compensation to his wife in case he divorced her: he had to pay her 200 zuzim if she had been a virgin at the time of marriage, and 100 zuzim if a widow or divorcée (see *Ketubbah).
By talmudic times, the institution of nedunyah was prevalent; the father gave a dowry to the bride since the daughter was excluded from paternal inheritance. Fifty zuzim (equivalent to the worth of 180 grams of silver) was the minimum amount a father was obliged to give to his daughter (Ket. 6:5). Parents usually gave much more, according to their social standing. Community funds provided the dowry for an orphan or a very poor girl (ibid.; cf. Sh. Ar., YD 251:8). In case of her father's death, the brothers of a minor girl were obliged to give her the minimum dowry, and the court estimated how much her father would have given her above the minimum dowry. The sum was then taken out of the father's estate and given to the daughter upon majority (Ket. 6:6; 68a–69b). In the absence of such an estimate, each daughter was entitled to receive one-tenth of the value of her father's estate in money, or in valuables (Yad, Ishut, 20:4–7; Sh. Ar., EH 113:4). If the father was unable or unwilling to pay the promised dowry at the betrothal ceremony, the groom could refuse to marry his bride (Ket. 13:5; Ket. 108b–109a). Insistence on exact payment of the promised dowry, however, was frowned upon by later rabbinic authorities (Rema to Sh. Ar., EH 2:1). In certain communities it was customary for the groom's father to make a dowry contribution equal to that of the bride's father (Ket. 102b). The dowry, whether given in real estate, slaves, money, or chattel was recorded in the marriage contract (the ketubbah) and in some instances one-third or one-fifth of the actual value of the dowry was added to the sum mentioned in the ketubbah. Based upon a decree enacted by *Simeon b. Shetah (first century C.E.), the Talmud ruled that the husband and his entire property were liable for compensation as stipulated in the ketubbah, either in case he died (when she collected the sum specified in the ketubbah from the heirs) or in case he divorced his wife (Ket. 82b). For the status of the dowry and the husband's rights and obligations, see below. The rabbinic enactments (Takkanot Shum) by R. Jacob *Tam and by the rabbinic synod of the communities of Speyer, Worms, and Mainz (Germany) stipulated that if a woman died without children within the first year of her marriage, the whole dowry should be returned to her father or to his heirs, and if she died without children within two years of her marriage, one-half of her dowry should be returned to her father or his heirs. These stipulations were accepted by Jews all over Europe, as well as by some Oriental communities. A rabbinic conference at ****sk (1761) modified these rules by decreeing that only after five years of marriage would the husband of a childless wife become the sole heir to his deceased wife's property.