Makayla Has Passed Away - girl who refused chemo for leukemia

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
So sad.

She died Monday after suffering a stroke Sunday.

"Surrounded by the love and support of her family, her community and her nation … Makayla completed her course. She is now safely in the arms of Jesus," her family said in a statement published by the Two Row Times.

More:
Makayla Sault, girl who refused chemo for leukemia, dies - Aboriginal - CBC
____________________________________________________________________________________

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's what she wanted (to be able to choose). Liberty, to the left, sucks.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's what everyone wants...to be able to choose.

Some of us were hoping for a better result. Some will be quit happy they can clap their hands in glee at this turn of events. Some will turn this into a political soap box.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How do you get that level of cancer at that young of an age. Isn't that shades of the 'Love Canal'?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's what everyone wants...to be able to choose.

Some of us were hoping for a better result. Some will be quit happy they can clap their hands in glee at this turn of events. Some will turn this into a political soap box.

Everyone was hoping for a better result.

I doubt people will be happy. What happened is what the doctors said would happen all along. If she stops chemo she will die for sure... and she did.

Indian medicine and the shamans failed the little girl and her family.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Everyone was hoping for a better result.

I doubt people will be happy. What happened is what the doctors said would happen all along. If she stops chemo she will die for sure... and she did.

Indian medicine and the shamans failed the little girl and her family.

There are some people who are happy to have had their opinion validated by this sad turn of events.

Some people know nothing about the secondary cancers chemo causes, nor understand the effect of living with the knowledge that you may be 'this type of cancer' free, but you aren't going to be cancer free for long and the secondary cancer can also kill you...

Then there's this story of the little girl who also decided to NOT have typical treatment and is now said to be cancer free.

Girl who quit chemotherapy for traditional healing said to be cancer-free | On First Nation Issues, Events, And Environmental Issues On The West Coast And World Events.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Oh yeah? What do you think about it?

I think it was her and her families decision to do what they felt was best for them. It's not decision they would take lightly.

If it were my daughter? It would depend on where the cancer was, the type of cancer, her age, her thoughts on it. It's really not something I can imagine nor know what I'd feel, do, or say since it's not a reality for me.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They made the wrong decision and I do not believe it is the little girl's decision at all. You have kids... so do I. I could have easily convinced my boys when they were that young to try another treatment.

I'm not clapping. It is sad... and they were told it would happen.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
They made the wrong decision and I do not believe it is the little girl's decision at all. You have kids... so do I. I could have easily convinced my boys when they were that young to try another treatment.

I'm not clapping. It is sad... and they were told it would happen.

These are the things that suck about being a parent, eh?

What about the story of the other girl who survived without chemo and is said to be in remission?

Do you know about the secondary cancers that chemo causes?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
These are the things that suck about being a parent, eh?

What about the story of the other girl who survived without chemo and is said to be in remission?

Do you know about the secondary cancers that chemo causes?

The one that can't be identified? I read the article from a First Nation source website twice through. Not many details... don't you agree? I'd like to see more of this case.

A trip back...

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/124921-first-nations-girl-chooses-traditional-2.html

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Just because she died and the doctors predicted it, doesn't mean they were right. She could just as easily have died from chemo. Instead, she died of a stroke. Doctors gave me one month to live back in '96 if I didn't have triple bypass, but here I am still haunting your reality, with no scars.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Just because she died and the doctors predicted it, doesn't mean they were right. .

LMFAO@U

Dude... another one who thinks she made the right choice. Why are you even here in this thread?

The doctors said she would die without chemo and she did. They were right.

White people always know better than them heathen savages, what is best for them. Taking children away from aboriginal families is jst a continuation of the abuse of power that started with residential schools and has never stopped. That is how aboriginal people view this.

pathetic.

Well... happy?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
LMFAO@U

Dude... another one who thinks she made the right choice. Why are you even here in this thread?

Are you referring to me as another one who thinks she made the right choice? Cause I never said that. I said they had the right to make a choice.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It's what she wanted (to be able to choose). Liberty, to the left, sucks.
Was there something political about it? Did Harper give his blessing? Do you HAVE to bring your left-right OCD into everything? Shame on you.

Rest in peace, Makayla. Treatment is worse than the illness most times. You made the right choice for you.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
LMFAO@U

pathetic.

Well... happy?
She died of a stroke. They were not right because they predicted she would die of cancer. Don't be such a putz.

Are you referring to me as another one who thinks she made the right choice? Cause I never said that. I said they had the right to make a choice.
Smack like to make stuff up about people so he can feel good about himself

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

No I am not. I do not think you would have taken your child to see a medicine man in the same circumstance.

She died of a stroke. They were not right because they predicted she would die of cancer. Don't be such a putz.

She died of a stroke. OK Cliffy... just like folks with AIDs died of pneumonia and not AIDs.

Smack like to make stuff up about people so he can feel good about himself

What did I make up big mouth?

What's wrong Cliffy? The shaman failed... the tribe failed... and now you're POed?

Anyone with a brain knew they would fail. The Doctors were all right... the tribe was wrong. Proud?

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
One paper is reporting:

Makayla Sault, the Ojibwa girl who refused chemotherapy last year in favour of indigenous medicine, died on Monday, with her parents reportedly blaming modern treatment for their daughter’s death.
She was 11 years old.
The Two Row Times reported that the New Credit girl suffered a stroke Sunday morning. In a statement to the paper, her family said: “Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke.”

Aboriginal girl with leukemia dies after refusing chemo | Toronto Star

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One paper is reporting:

Makayla Sault, the Ojibwa girl who refused chemotherapy last year in favour of indigenous medicine, died on Monday, with her parents reportedly blaming modern treatment for their daughter’s death.
She was 11 years old.
The Two Row Times reported that the New Credit girl suffered a stroke Sunday morning. In a statement to the paper, her family said: “Chemotherapy did irreversible damage to her heart and major organs. This was the cause of the stroke.”

Aboriginal girl with leukemia dies after refusing chemo | Toronto Star

Of Course! Of course that is it!