Richest 1% To Own More Than Other 99%

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Richest 1% To Own More Than Other 99%

Oxfam publishes new research which warns that the scale of global inequality is "staggering" and getting worse.

Wealth accumulated by the world's richest 1% will exceed that of the other 99% by next year, Oxfam has warned.

A report by the anti-poverty charity suggests the wealthiest 1% have seen their share of global assets rise from 44% in 2009 to 48% last year.

The figure is on track to exceed 50% this year.

Oxfam says that the richest 1% have an average total wealth of £1.8m ($2.7m) each.

Meanwhile, 80% of the world's population own just 5.5% of wealth - an average of £2,500 ($3,851) each.

The findings come ahead of the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, this week.

Oxfam International executive director Winnie Byanyima said: "Do we really want to live in a world where the 1% own more than the rest of us combined?

"The scale of global inequality is quite simply staggering and despite the issues shooting up the global agenda, the gap between the richest and the rest is widening fast."

She added: "In the past 12 months we have seen world leaders from President Obama to Christine Lagarde talk more about tackling extreme inequality, but we are still waiting for many of them to walk the walk.

"It is time our leaders took on the powerful vested interests that stand in the way of a fairer and more prosperous world.

"Business as usual for the elite isn't a cost-free option - failure to tackle inequality will set the fight against poverty back decades.

"The poor are hurt twice by rising inequality - they get a smaller share of the economic pie and because extreme inequality hurts growth, there is less pie to be shared around."

The 45th World Economic Forum, which starts on Wednesday, will draw a record number of participants this year with more than 300 heads of state and government attending.

Growing inequality will be competing with other global crises including terrorist threats in Europe, the Ebola epidemic, the stand-off between Russia and the West, and renewed fears of financial turmoil.

source: Richest 1% To Own More Than Other 99% - Report

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Must be nice being on top, not that I'll spend any time whinnying about it, I bet, 90% of the world says that about how awesome my life is.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well if they can earn it they deserve it. End of discussion. It's the law. Nice boat.
The term at 'Frog Pond' would be 'dingy' if you are referencing that white thingy in the photo far above. The 'Flats' went from Edmonton to Texas. The thought of prairie grizz tracking buffalo herds in packs like wolves or lions is almost a blood lust in it's imaginary visual possibilities. For their sake I hope they don't buy from Acme Hardware like that coyote chasing that roadrunner. The Keystoned Bears

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Trouble is greedy outfits like oxfam want governments to legislate the rich into giving their hard earned money to those that do little or nothing. Not only do the rich provide jobs for the great unwashed they also give more to charity. How much does Oxfam's executive director earn?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
While I applaud the efforts of groups like Oxfam, the unfortunate reality is that they end up prolonging a lot of misery for the people that they attempt to help.

You can't fix an entire community that is broken on a sociological level

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder if Oxfam will have the balls to compare the relative birth rates of the various nations relative to the average incomes in those nations, all relative to global picture.

I doubt it
'Nothing to see here, move along' . . . would be their usual tactic for an important and valid message such as yours is, howerver I do not advocate them having the right to try and censor you by using suck low level tactics as saying such things as:
'Mover along, nothing to see here.'

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Trouble is greedy outfits like oxfam want governments to legislate the rich into giving their hard earned money to those that do little or nothing. Not only do the rich provide jobs for the great unwashed they also give more to charity. How much does Oxfam's executive director earn?

Even if they got their wishes , spreading out the wealth evenly would only cause prices to rise faster.
The end results would be the exact situation you started off with in the beginning. It'd be a temporary fix, to the syndrome but not a permanent fix to what is causing the syndrome.

While I applaud the efforts of groups like Oxfam, the unfortunate reality is that they end up prolonging a lot of misery for the people that they attempt to help.

How broken are we? And how
What is the cause of the syndrome?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The top 1% are blest by the gods. This is a deliberate on part of the gods to encourage the rabble to better themselves.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

That is the short version, the sign used to read 'OxFamine'. You should look at words like 'Sieges' through narrowed eyes rather than bulging ones. Some people like Boomer looks in their rear view as they start down a long haul and people are waving and wearing a sad face when the not a mirror image is handstands and smiles.

Relativity is not just an issue of who your in-laws are, sometime when a blood relative says, 'Here let me help you with that.' it doesn't mean things always go smoother from that point on.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If you took all the wealth in the world and redistributed it evenly. The richest 1% would have all their money back in how many years? 3 maybe?
Money is nothing, the network, the infrastructure, the organization to make a product that is in high demand is the key.

The 1% ers have the capacity to produce,
The rest of us have the capacity to consume.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If I did the conversion right Oxfam's executive director makes about $180000/yr. putting her firmly in the 1%
They also spend between 16 and 28% of donations on fundraising.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If you simply payed more money to do the same thing you have just devalued you're money.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
'Nothing to see here, move along' . . . would be their usual tactic for an important and valid message such as yours is, howerver I do not advocate them having the right to try and censor you by using suck low level tactics as saying such things as:
'Mover along, nothing to see here.'

How's the rarefied air way up there on your moral high ground bud?

People like you don't like it when the hard questions are asked.. Generally speaking, when you're faced with these questions, it accentuates that any functional, practical and long term 'solutions' are not as simple as just pushing a bunch of cash somewhere... All that accomplishes is that you might feel a bit better for as long as it takes to spend the dough.

As Barnum and Bailey put it so well, low those many years ago: "There is a sucker born every minute'... You are the ultimate personification of this reality

How broken are we? And how
What is the cause of the syndrome?

'We' are just as broken as all others... The difference being, 'we' have advanced far enough to be able to provide some form of welfare to those in our society

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
If I say, damn you EGGs, You'll be payed 1$ more for a dozen as of tomorrow. All I've done is make my money lose value