TKO Target can't handle the Canadian market

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Target to close all 133 Canadian stores, gets CCAA protection
Retail chain opened in Canada in spring 2013 but has decided to close shop

Target pulling out of Canada

Target says it plans to discontinue all operations in Canada and has been granted protection from creditors, less than two years after opening to much fanfare.

In a release early Thursday, the U.S. retail chain said it will close all its locations in Canada. There are 133 stores across the country with about 17,600 employees.

The company launched in Canada in March of 2013, not quite two years ago.

But after high expectations, the chain failed to deliver right out of the gate as customers faced higher-than-expected prices, and empty shelves as the retailer had problems with its distribution chain.

How Target missed the mark in Canada
Target's failed launch offers lessons for other Canadian retailers
Target lost almost $1 billion in its first year in Canada, and while the losses have shrunk since then, the chain is still losing money daily.

Executives repeatedly promised they would get it right and reaffirmed their commitment to Canada as recently as July, but ultimately decided to pull the plug.

"After a thorough review of our Canadian performance and careful consideration of the implications of all options, we were unable to find a realistic scenario that would get Target Canada to profitability until at least 2021," the U.S. parent company's CEO Brian Cornell said in a release Thursday, explaining the justification for the shutdown.

Target filed an application in a Toronto courtroom for protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act early Thursday morning. That request was granted.

DON PITTIS: The long, slow death of middle class retailers in Canada
Why did Target Canada fail? Because it wasn't the U.S. Target
The federal law allows companies that can't pay their debts the ability to restructure themselves. Without it, the companies and individuals that an insolvent company owes money to can technically start seizing assets. But because Target has applied under CCAA, that won't happen here yet.

Aaron Alt, most recently Target's senior vice-president and treasurer, has been named CEO of Target Canada to execute the winddown process under the court's supervision.

Target's shareholders welcomed the news, sending shares in the company up almost three per cent on the NYSE on Thursday. Closing up shop in Canada means the company has more money to focus its efforts on shoring up its also-struggling U.S. operations.

Target launched to much fanfare in March 2013, but the chain was plagued by problems. (Andrew Vaughan/Canadian Press)
And at least one analyst also hinted that it was a good idea to end the failed experiment in Canada.

"Target’s decision to exit Canada after less than two years of store operations is an admission that it has failed in its attempt to enter a new market," Moody's analyst Charlie O'Shea said. "With over $1.5 billion in … losses, it is clear that the early flaws in Target’s strategy to simultaneously open stores while building out or developing its supply chain became insurmountable."

Severance will be paid

Target has hired international consultancy Alvarez & Marsal to oversee the liquidation and wind-down process.

Most of Target's stores are in locations that were taken over from existing Zellers leases, but the company does own some real estate in Canada.

Financial advisory firm Lazard Ltd. will advise the company with regards to possibly selling its real-estate assets. In a conference call with analysts, Cornell noted that about $1.2 billion in debt will come off the company's books just from getting out of the leases alone, providing a buyer can be found.

A number of Target's locations are owned by Toronto-based RioCan Investment Trust. Units of that REIT shed about one per cent on the TSX on Thursday when the Target news came out.

The company is seeking the court's permission to set up a $70-million fund to ensure all employees affected by the move get at least 16 weeks in severance pay. The stores will remain open while the company completes the liquidation process.

Target failed in Canada because it expanded to far, too fast, retail analyst David Ian Gray tells CBC
"Your efforts have been extraordinary, and absolutely nothing about our decision to exit diminishes your hard work and dedication," Cornell told employees in a letter on Thursday, a copy of which has been obtained by CBC News.

Target said the decision to close shop in Canada will cost between $500 million and $600 million in cash from the U.S. parent's bottom line, but results in a writedown of about $5.4 billion from an accounting perspective in the upcoming fourth-quarter earnings.

Target is the latest retailer to go under in what's becoming an increasingly tough retail environment in Canada.

Fashion shops Mexx, Smart Set and Jacob have all announced plans to close down in recent months. Montreal-based Le Chateau hasn't officially closed, but the clothing chain has been in a tough spot of late.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/man...anadian-stores-gets-ccaa-protection-1.2901618

That's to bad, it's going to leave a lot of empty box retail space.

I'm surprised they don't want to stick it out. The economy is set to double in the next 15 years
Well thank you Target for spending 1 billion dollars in our economy

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Interesting that such a large moderately successful business from the US couldn't pull it together here.

The 2 biggest complaints about target: appalling inventory levels and prices.

If they'd managed to hire good managers and paid them a decent salary they'd have managed to maintain appropriate inventory levels and people would have shopped there regardless if the prices hadn't been the same as in the states.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Location location location

People like the new bigger more modern box stores

Interesting that such a large moderately successful business from the US couldn't pull it together here.

The 2 biggest complaints about target: appalling inventory levels and prices.

If they'd managed to hire good managers and paid them a decent salary they'd have managed to maintain appropriate inventory levels and people would have shopped there regardless if the prices hadn't been the same as in the states.

I think I read somewhere stocking issues was mostly due to the warehouse and shipments

With the target location mostly set in old retail space, I felt they had limited chances of success.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we watched our local zellers close its doors, the building was in shambles, leaky roof etc., then waited in anticipation for this new target store to open,
took one walk around the store, and never went back again.

they missed the boat big time. the real canadian part of those stores which is all of the outdoor,
sports, hardware, automotive, paint etc., was missing in the target store.

it missed the 'male' in the shopping world.

i loved our old zellers store, all they needed to do was build a new store around them, then continue
on with what they were offering the public.

i want zellers to come back, guess that will never happen, now we will have another big empty box store,
alongwith safeway sitting empty, what a shame.

my husband and i went to zellers quite often, actually bought things often, he loved the fishing department,
and other parts of the store that fit his interests, and so did i, fishing supplies were not in big supply,
but they had some good buys, where the fishing stores were far too expensive, much of the time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Do the contractors who just finished the $3M renovation to change Zellers int them get to keep the money they collected?

I have been singularly unimpressed by Target's merchandise. Reminds me of a poor man's Army and Navy.
I like how moving the isles onto 10ft centers makes it appear it has the same merchandise as the one where the isles are a lot closer. At the dollar store you have to be fast to do a pass with a cart, plus it is a step up in quality.

I have been singularly unimpressed by Target's merchandise. Reminds me of a poor man's Army and Navy.
All the army surplus we used to have access to in now sold to terrorist world-wide. I'm not going to define that as progress.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Do the contractors who just finished the $3M renovation to change Zellers int them get to keep the money they collected?

The people who constructed the retail stores already got payed

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
In Nanaimo, one of the newest Target stores opened right next to a huge new Canadian Tire store. The Target store never did get many customers. In a way I think Canadians were fighting back. I agree with Talloola that Zellers filled a need that Target couldn't fill and now Target is gone as well.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I'm not sure how CCAA protection works

In Nanaimo, one of the newest Target stores opened right next to a huge new Canadian Tire store. The Target store never did get many customers. In a way I think Canadians were fighting back. I agree with Talloola that Zellers filled a need that Target couldn't fill and now Target is gone as well.

They specificly wanted to make sure they were different from zellers . If you where a zellers employee they didn't want to hire you. I'm not sure how that wasn't discrimination.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
You don't understand retail at all-it wasn't store managers who failed to create a viable distributorship network-in Big Box stores it's not managers who do the buying that's the Head Office job.
A low blow!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The men's clothing of theirs is miles ahead of Walmart. But overall a rather sterile store with the same old same old.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You don't understand retail at all-it wasn't store managers who failed to create a viable distributorship network-in Big Box stores it's not managers who do the buying that's the Head Office job.

So, head office doesn't have managers? So weird./sarcasm. BTW, I didn't say "store" managers. I just said managers.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So, head office doesn't have managers? So weird./sarcasm. BTW, I didn't say "store" managers. I just said managers.

They did have issues with store managers and they treated their employees like s-h-i-t. My daughter worked there for about 3 weeks and quit.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
They did have issues with store managers and they treated their employees like s-h-i-t. My daughter worked there for about 3 weeks and quit.

I'd heard similar from my daughters friends who worked there. As the saying goes "pay peanuts, get monkeys"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"That's to bad, it's going to leave a lot of empty box retail space.

I'm surprised they don't want to stick it out. The economy is set to double in the next 15 years
Well thank you Target for spending 1 billion dollars in our economy"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH the economy is not set to double the economy is set to crumble

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
"That's to bad, it's going to leave a lot of empty box retail space.

Well thank you Target for spending 1 billion dollars in our economy"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH the economy is not set to double the economy is set to crumble

All the boomer retirer by the end of 2018. So young adults who can't get good paying jobs will have a chance to make more money. And all the retired boomers will still have income.

Like I said, the economy will double In the next 15 years as there will be two times more liquid cash circulating in the economy because of the unlocked pension's.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm not sure how CCAA protection works

They specificly wanted to make sure they were different from zellers . If you where a zellers employee they didn't want to hire you. I'm not sure how that wasn't discrimination.

yes, we use tochat with a department manager in zellers, she told us that she hAd 'no'chance of being
rehired by target, i now see her working in home depot, but it took her quite Awhile to get another
job.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
All the boomer retirer by the end of 2018. So young adults who can't get good paying jobs will have a chance to make more money. And all the retired boomers will still have income.

Like I said, the economy will double In the next 15 years as there will be two times more liquid cash circulating in the economy because of the unlocked pension's.

The Green Shoot People rise again, even at the onset of global depression and war. Must be the good sh it they grow in.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The Green Shoot People rise again, even at the onset of global depression and war. Must be the good sh it they grow in.

When the boomers die will be the next economic difficulty.

yes, we use tochat with a department manager in zellers, she told us that she hAd 'no'chance of being
rehired by target, i now see her working in home depot, but it took her quite Awhile to get another
job.

Bet they could have used her knowledge.

Bad decision on target 's part

You have been calling for economic doom for how many strait years now dark? And it still hasn't happened.