I-94 shut down in Michigan. after 90-vehicle pile-up

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I-94 shut down in Mischigan. after 90-vehicle pile-up

KALAMAZOO COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Police have shut down both directions of I-94 in Kalamazoo County after a fatal pile-up involving semis.

The crash is between Mile Marker 90 and 92. Both directions have been shut down. The freeway is closed between Mile Markers 85 (Galesburg exit) and 92 (M-37/Mercury Drive).

At least one person lost their life in the crashes according to an officer. There are many people who were injured.

There were multiple semis and passenger vehicles, up to 90, involved. Michigan State Police say that about 70 vehicles were involved in the westbound lanes and 20 in the eastbound. There were an estimated 50 semis included in that number.

One of the semis was hauling 40,000 pounds of fireworks. The fireworks were launching on the scene. Another truck that was on fire was hauling hazardous material.

"Right in front of me the trucks started to go crazy. You couldn't see a single thing at the time of all the accidents. I was able to pull off and just watch semi after semi and semi and semi hit each other and cars hit each other. I mean people were going full speed ahead," said Micah Stanislowski, who was involved in the crash.

"I'm getting debris from the fire on my car. I can see the fire now from here. There's fireworks going off," said Heather Jackson, who was involved in the pile-up. "As I approached I realized that all the cars were stopped in front of me. I seen some in the ditch and I seen cars behind me coming at me at regular speed and I knew if I didn't go into the ditch I was going to be hit."

"He said they're not going to be able to put out the fire. The fire is just going to have to continue until it's done," said Jackson after speaking with police.

Police had people on scene get out of their cars and move as far back as possible. They brought in buses to transport them from the scene to Galesburg Primary School.

At least six people with injuries were taken to Borgess Hospital. One is in serious condition.

Authorities say that the freeway will be shut down until early Saturday morning.

Police ealier ordered a 3-mile evacuation radius around the crash because of burning hazardous materials on the scene. The center of the evacuation area was I-94 at the 90 Mile Marker near the border of Kalamazoo and Calhoun Counties. Later, authorities said that they believed the hazardous materials had burned off. They told anyone who lives within a one-mile radius of the crash to shelter in place. That order has since been lifted.

The burning vehicles were extinguished by 1:45pm.

Avoid the area if you are headed that way.

Authorities are asking everyone to stay off the roads today because of the conditions.

source: I-94 shut down in Kalamazoo Co. after 90-vehicle pile-up - WWMT - News, Sports, Weather, Traffic

Several people killed.