Daughter shocked over Christmas meal served at father's nursing home

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

On Christmas Day when many people across Saskatchewan were feasting on turkey, Darlene Mitchell's dad was eating bologna.
Mitchell went to visit her father for the holiday at Pioneer Village, a publicly-run Regina nursing home, and was dismayed at what was being served there that day.

A piece of bologna, a piece of salami, a bun and some "watery macaroni salad" was served up for seniors at the home, according to Mitchell.

The province said that a Christmas meal was served earlier in the day, but Mitchell said the later meal was not the first time her father has been served a substandard meal.

"It's dismal, it's depressing, it's sad and it's horrible that [this is how] these people are living the last years of their life. So what would I like changed? A hot meal," she told CBC News on Saturday.

Mitchell said she was not only concerned about the quality of the Christmas meal, but also the nutritional value.
"This is Christmas day, but it's not acceptable any day. Somebody meal-planned this meal. Somebody thought this was a good idea," said Mitchell.

She says there were no vegetables included in the meal and, as for fruit, watered-down apple sauce was served for dessert.

"I think we need better thinkers in charge of things like feeding our seniors," said Mitchell.

Mitchell took a picture of the meal and posted it to social media Christmas day. The post now has more than 1,000 shares.
Province says turkey dinner served at noon

In an emailed statement, the provincial government said Pioneer Village has served the same meal for Christmas dinner for 25 years and the residents received a full turkey dinner at lunchtime.

The Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region says the lighter cold cut meal was served to balance out the larger noon meal.
"We make sure the nutritional needs of our residents are met," said Michael Redenbach, vice-president of integrated health services with the health region.

Redenbach said the health region works with registered dietitians to develop nutritious meal plans based on the provincial government's special-care home guidelines.

"I don't think we expect any one meal to provide all of the nutritional value that a resident would need. We need to look at the entire meal plan," said Redenbach.

A meal plan for Pioneer Village was not immediately available.

Minimum care standards needed, NDP says
NDP deputy leader Trent Wotherspoon said meals like these are not acceptable any day of the year.

"It doesn't provide the dignity that anyone deserves and it doesn't provide the basic health and nutrition that's so important to anyone," said Wotherspoon.

The Opposition is calling for minimum care standards to be set in seniors' homes, including food and nutrition standards, and a seniors' bill of rights.

Pioneer Village is the largest seniors' care home in Saskatchewan.

Two things I note about this are both in regard to the comments made by the nursing home..."In an emailed statement, the provincial government said Pioneer Village has served the same meal for Christmas dinner for 25 years and the residents received a full turkey dinner at lunchtime.

What does a full turkey meal mean?

and

"I don't think we expect any one meal to provide all of the nutritional value that a resident would need. We need to look at the entire meal plan," said Redenbach.

Yes I absolutely DO expect any one meal to provide all of the nutritional value that a resident would need at each meal.

that meal was disgusting

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
While I agree that the meal is 'small' it should mean overall that all the plates are relatively clean after the meal. There are confectioneries in such places are their not for the ones who need a snack between meals.
When I was in isolation for burns I was on a 'soft diet', jello was the main course, open up the desert thing, . . more jello. lol

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
While I agree that the meal is 'small' it should mean overall that all the plates are relatively clean after the meal. There are confectioneries in such places are their not for the ones who need a snack between meals.
When I was in isolation for burns I was on a 'soft diet', jello was the main course, open up the desert thing, . . more jello. lol
all meals should be small, but nutritious...that meal would glow in the dark if the lights were off

jello is the hospitals idea of giving the body something to digest

someday I hope they give the ill something more than sugar water

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's all based on caloric intake per day. 2000 calories for lunch leaves only 500 for the rest of the day for a male. If they were given more somebody would bitch that dieticians made their parent fat.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
True but then in a nursing home nobody is getting better and going home. Maybe it was 'turkey bologna'.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
True but then in a nursing home nobody is getting better and going home. Maybe it was 'turkey bologna'.
it's sub standard food and hopefully this will open an investigation into the food served at each meal

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It's all based on caloric intake per day. 2000 calories for lunch leaves only 500 for the rest of the day for a male. If they were given more somebody would bitch that dieticians made their parent fat.
There is also the aspect that a person who is inactive doesn't burn up a lot of calories and old body parts might like a bland diet while a person on the go would be suffering dizzy spells from lack of energy. Get them a netbook and netflix account, they won't even notice that it isn't food.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
it's sub standard food and hopefully this will open an investigation into the food served at each meal
Can we then go into homes and fix the over eating problem that plagues society, some say that is from a lact of 'real food' rather than over-eating and their long term heath is more important than buying the elderly a few more days (in a home). Even more important would be children getting the best diets available as their clear minds will be making the decision 40 years down the road.

I kid you not, some German politician came out with India being the problem as they now want more than one meal a day since they have a family and two jobs instead of family and no job.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A big part of the problem here relates to funding... There are only so many dollars to go around in the public facilities
balogna is not food

if a part of the problem here relates to funding then there is a problem at some level

I had cold cuts on Christmas too. Is my wife abusing me?
if you would prefer healthy food and have no choice in what you are served then yes

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Can we then go into homes and fix the over eating problem that plagues society, some say that is from a lact of 'real food' rather than over-eating and their long term heath is more important than buying the elderly a few more days (in a home). Even more important would be children getting the best diets available as their clear minds will be making the decision 40 years down the road.

I kid you not, some German politician came out with India being the problem as they now want more than one meal a day since they have a family and two jobs instead of family and no job.
over eating is a problem in our society on many levels...fat people aren't necessarily ill but they can be under nourished for sure

Nursing homes are no longer places where the elderly go to lay in bed and die. Old doesn't equal ill and dying. But if you feed them that kind of slop it certainly fast becomes the case.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
RQHD isn't short on cash.

It all relates to the budget that is allocated.

balogna is not food

if a part of the problem here relates to funding then there is a problem at some level

One has to question the level of expectations that the public has in terms of what society is expected to provide.

Here in AB, there was a hue and cry that the family of seniors that were in publicly funded senior centers had to travel too far from their homes to visit their folks.

... I can easily sympathize, however, this had to do with availability and vacancies in the facilities as opposed to anything else... There was nothing stopping the families from finding a spot at a local private facility other than not wanting to spend the money that their parent(s) had made over the years

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
over eating is a problem in our society on many levels...fat people aren't necessarily ill but they can be under nourished for sure

Nursing homes are no longer places where the elderly go to lay in bed and die. Old doesn't equal ill and dying. But if you feed them that kind of slop it certainly fast becomes the case.

Slop? Sysco the RQHD supplier makes 75% of the food you eat at restaurants and pay good money for.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It all relates to the budget that is allocated.

One has to question the level of expectations that the public has in terms of what society is expected to provide.

Here in AB, there was a hue and cry that the family of seniors that were in publicly funded senior centers had to travel too far from their homes to visit their folks.

... I can easily sympathize, however, this had to do with availability and vacancies in the facilities as opposed to anything else... There was nothing stopping the families from finding a spot at a local private facility other than not wanting to spend the money that their parent(s) had made over the years

basic nutrition does not have to be expensive that's why we put dietitians that are well paid in there to supervise the food...

my mother was in long term care if I had seen that on her plate I too would have raised hell

old people don't eat a lot therefore what they eat needs to be nutritious

Slop? Sysco the RQHD supplier makes 75% of the food you eat at restaurants and pay good money for.
balogna, hotdogs are slop

I don't care about Sysco and the RQHD supplier of restaurants...that has zero to do with the food in that picture being served to our elderly

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If you follow the logic in the OP an old person living at home that chose to have a bologna sandwich for a meal must be rescued from his self for his own good.