Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has pneumonia

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Justin Welby, the 105th Archbishop of Canterbury, has pneumonia, Lambeth Palace has said, a day after he pulled out of his Christmas Day sermon.

He did not address Canterbury Cathedral after being confined to bed with what was described then as a "severe cold".

Lambeth Palace said the archbishop was now having further bed rest.

His sermon, an annual tradition, was instead released as a statement in which he reflected on lasting peace.

As well as being the leader of the Church of England, the archbishop is the spiritual leader of the 77 million-strong worldwide Anglican Communion.

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has pneumonia

26 December 2014
BBC News

The Archbishop of Canterbury has pneumonia, Lambeth Palace has said, a day after he pulled out of his Christmas Day sermon.

The Most Rev Justin Welby did not address Canterbury Cathedral after being confined to bed with what was described then as a "severe cold".

Lambeth Palace said the archbishop was now having further bed rest.

His sermon, an annual tradition, was instead released as a statement in which he reflected on lasting peace.

He alluded to the World War One battlefield truce on Christmas Day 1914, saying it illustrated "something of the heart of Christmas".

However, he also pointed out it was a "one-day wonder" and that the war continued afterwards.

Ill for days

Lambeth Palace had said the 58-year-old archbishop had been ill for several days and decided on the morning of the service that he was too unwell to make his address.

The Dean of Canterbury, the Very Reverend Robert Willis, delivered a homily in his place.

In the sermon, released in statement form, the archbishop said of the World War One truce: "The problem is that the way it is told now it seems to end with a 'happy ever after'.

"Of course we like Christmas stories with happy endings: singing carols, swapping photos, shaking hands, sharing chocolate, but the following day the war continued with the same severity.

"Nothing had changed; it was a one-day wonder. That is not the world in which we live, truces are rare."

The most recent sermon given by the archbishop was earlier this month at a cathedral in Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone, which is in the grip of the deadly Ebola outbreak.

He visited the country to express Britain's solidarity with the victims of the virus, and said he was "overwhelmed" by the people he met.

As well as being the leader of the Church of England, the archbishop is the spiritual leader of the 77 million-strong worldwide Anglican Communion.

BBC News - Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby has pneumonia

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
what was it you said about the Pope?

well, considering those statements......

who the fu ck gives a shyte about the leader of the English cult. This is news?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

well, considering those statements......

who the fu ck gives a shyte about the leader of the English cult. This is news?
BBC thinks it's news and you lefties love the BBC.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

It may have been something along the lines of: "The Pope is a papist scum leading an idolatrous and heretical religion consisting of papist scum and nothing gives me greater joy than to see effigies of him burnt on bonfires on Guy Fawkes Night."

Long live the Archbishop of Canterbury! God Save the Queen, the Supreme Governor of the Church of England! Church of England till I die.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It may have been something along the lines of: "The Pope is a papist scum leading an idolatrous and heretical religion consisting of papist scum and nothing gives me greater joy than to see effigies of him burnt on bonfires on Guy Fawkes Night."

Long live the Archbishop of Canterbury! God Save the Queen, the Supreme Governor of the Church of England! Church of England till I die.
*falls on the floor laughing*

you certainly have some passion

you're drawing bad vibes wishing ill on others doncha know....careful, what ya wish for others has a nasty. nasty way of rebounding

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Wasn't the Anglican church started because some King found it was the only way to get rid of his nagging wife???

Yep. It was Henry VIII. Freeing England from the nefarious grip of the Pope and papism is probably the best thing an English, then British, leader has ever done.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Only the Catholics.

I'm a Protestant. I'm supposed to hate Catholicism. It's my religion.

Catholicism is an idolatrous religion.
Anglicans are light Catholics: Catholics without the Vatican and 13 less books than the Catholic bible. And I doubt that Jesus wanted you to hate anybody.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Catholics without the Vatican and 13 less books than the Catholic bible.

We're free of the Pope's nefarious power and free of papism. Our own monarch is the Supreme Governor of our church and the English Archbishop of Canterbury is the worldly leader of our church, not some bloody foreign pope who leads an idolatrous religion.

Henry VIII kicking the pope into touch and freeing England from his and his idolatrous church's influence was the best thing an English leader has ever done.

Then It's a cult!

It's not false, idolatrous, blasphemous and just downright bad like the Catholic Church is. It's the Catholics who are going to Hell, not most Protestants.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We're free of the Pope's nefarious power and free of papism. Our own monarch is the Supreme Governor of our church and the English Archbishop of Canterbury is the worldly leader of our church, not some bloody foreign pope who leads an idolatrous religion.

Henry VIII kicking the pope into touch and freeing England from his influence was the best thing an English leader has ever done.
And your monarchs are baby eating, shape shifting lizards. I'm really envious of you for having them as the head of your religion.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And I doubt that Jesus wanted you to hate anybody.

Anglicanism is a Protestant church. We're not called protestants because we're protesting about Labour's economic policy.

And your monarchs are baby eating, shape shifting lizards.

Well if you believe that then you really are in need of the men in the white coats.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You are already in hell living on that soggy, god forsaken island.

It could be worse. I could be living in Canada right now and having to cope with the -70F temperatures and 15 ft of solid snow everytime I step over the front doorstep.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It could be worse. I could be living in Canada right now and having to cope with the -70F temperatures and 15 ft of solid snow everytime I step over the front doorstep.
it's been a green Christmas...roads are bare and dry...

yes! I love it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
it's been a green Christmas...roads are bare and dry...

yes! I love it.
Average temps here have been around +1C and some rain. Very little snow on the ground with bare roads except at elevation. My ancestors came here from soggy old England because they were smarter than the average Brit. Blackhead prolly thinks we live in igloos.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Average temps here have been around +1C and some rain. Very little snow on the ground with bare roads except at elevation. My ancestors came here from soggy old England because they were smarter than the average Brit. Blackhead prolly thinks we live in igloos.

all the good ones left years ago...lol