Survivor of North Korean gulags makes wrenching drawings of what happens inside

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

A United Nations panel has accused North Korea of crimes against humanity, including systematic extermination , "murder, enslavement, torture, imprisonment, rape, forced abortions and other sexual violence ... and the inhumane act of knowingly causing prolonged starvation."

The report is based on a year of public hearings with about 80 witnesses as well as confidential interviews with another 240 victims, including people who'd spent time in North Korean prison camps and experts.

Kim Kwang-il, a 48-year-old man who spent two years in a prison in North Korea, defected to South Korea in February 2009 and subsequently had professional artists draw sketches based on his recollections of torture and the conditions of prisoner life. Some of these were included in the report.

The U.N. obviously heard enough to decide that the pictures genuinely illustrate the atrocities being committed. They are similar to images published by former prisoners in 2012.

Kim Kwang-il told the UN that he " actually got worse treatment than the pictures that are shown in the book."

Solitary confinement punishment. Capturing mice from inside the cell.

The corpses are taken to the crematorium.

The mice eat the eyes, nose, ears, and toes of the corpses.

Out of starvation and hunger, find snakes and rats and you eat them.

Scale, airplane, motorcycle." Survivors told the UN that they had to stay in painful stress positions with arms extended until they collapsed out of exhaustion.

In this position, called "pigeon torture," prisoners are reportedly beaten on the chest until they vomit blood.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/survivor-north-korean-gulags-makes-124300332.html

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The people are beaten down without a doubt. These are scenes reminiscent of
Nazi Germany in the death camps. And don't tell me those did not exist they did.
North Korea is a small nation that no one has challenged its closed to the world
Remember China during the cultural revolution? Or Europe and America during
the witch hunts or the Spanish Inquisition? This is the ever changing societies
evolving into something different, and the spark will come when the people have
had enough. Barbarians have run the world for centuries. Unfortunately we our
selves are being challenged the oppressive governments even those who are
supposedly democratic can go off the rails. Look at America, during WWII they didn't
treat prisoners the way they do now. What is the saying when you trade security
for freedom you end up with neither The whole world is suffering from crumbling
authority because those in power do not include the governered in decision making

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Is there anything the world can do though?

I'd read of a girl who'd escaped NK and she explained that she believed little kimmy was a god and could read her thoughts...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Erect a drive-in screen (facing north) on the border and show The Movie

Maybe just show world news for prolonged periods of time. Let them get a dose of what is really going on in the world.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Perhaps apply this reasoning to Saudi Arabia as well, or are none of you familiar with what goes on there and in various other middle eastern states?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd read of a girl who'd escaped NK and she explained that she believed little kimmy was a god and could read her thoughts...

They seem to be practically worshiped as such. Though another weird fact about North Korea is Kim Jong Un isnt the head of state. His dead grandfather still is.

Perhaps apply this reasoning to Saudi Arabia as well, or are none of you familiar with what goes on there and in various other middle eastern states?

There isnt really anything that compares with North Korea when it comes to absolutist governments. Saudi Arabia is awful, but its paradise when compared to North Korea.

ISIS may be comparable but I doubt they have staying power.

Maybe just show world news for prolonged periods of time. Let them get a dose of what is really going on in the world.
Guards aside I doubt there are many average citizens allowed near the border.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Guards aside I doubt there are many average citizens allowed near the border.

I also just recognized the fact that if they were caught watching they'd be in the slave camps or shot.

maybe they could drop leaflets with this picture on them

It's realistic.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And nothing will be done.
I would ask some help in setting up a FB page to boycott selected Chinese products.
Recall when China forced a US recce Plane down- It was not the WH that solved this, but Wall Mart execs stating the blow back was/would affect Chinese exports to the US.

Money talks. BS walks.
PM me if you are interested.
Subj Line China Boycotts.
Give Zuckerberg some bad press when he bans it.

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
The people are beaten down without a doubt. These are scenes reminiscent of
Nazi Germany in the death camps. And don't tell me those did not exist they did.
North Korea is a small nation that no one has challenged its closed to the world
Remember China during the cultural revolution? Or Europe and America during
the witch hunts or the Spanish Inquisition? This is the ever changing societies
evolving into something different, and the spark will come when the people have
had enough. Barbarians have run the world for centuries. Unfortunately we our
selves are being challenged the oppressive governments even those who are
supposedly democratic can go off the rails. Look at America, during WWII they didn't
treat prisoners the way they do now. What is the saying when you trade security
for freedom you end up with neither The whole world is suffering from crumbling
authority because those in power do not include the governered in decision making

What is disheartening is the idea that horrible things are going on there and the only concern the Harper government has is the Middle East and Israel's never ending drama.