Travis Vader charged with murder of senior couple

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Travis Vader charged with murder of senior couple

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, December 19, 2014 7:26PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:25AM EST First-degree murder charges has been re-activated against Travis Vader in the case of two Alberta seniors who went missing during a motorhome expedition more than four years ago.
Vader, 42, was arrested “without incident” on Friday, after the Crown re-started proceedings against him, police said.
"He will appear to speak to these charges at Queen's Bench in Edmonton at a date yet to be determined,” RCMP said in a news release. “We will provide an update to that information when it becomes available."

Lyle and Marie McCann were last seen alive on July 3, 2010, as they fuelled their motorhome in St. Albert, located north of Edmonton.
In a brief statement Friday, the couple’s son, Bret McCann, asked that his family’s privacy be respected.
“Today's news means that we will now have the opportunity to learn more about the investigation into our parents death when this case comes to trial,” Bret McCann said.
“Our goal now is to ensure the accused receives a fair trial and to that end, we will not be speaking publicly at this time. We ask that you respect our privacy.”
The McCanns, both in their 70s, had been heading to visit family in British Columbia at the time of their disappearance.
Five days later, the McCann’s daughter reported them missing after they failed to show up in Abbottsford, B.C.
The torched remains of their motorhome, and the SUV they were towing, were later found west of Edmonton. Their bodies have never been found.
The two were declared dead by a court one year later.
Vader was originally charged with first-degree murder in April 2012.
But last March, just a few weeks before the trial was set to begin, the Crown stayed the first-degree murder charges against Vader.
When charges are stayed, the crown has one year to re-activate the case.
Vader filed lawsuits against prosecutors and the RCMP claiming malicious prosecution. He alleged he was kept in custody on trumped-up charges before he was charged with the McCanns’ murders. He also said he was mistreated by staff at the remand centre.

Read more: Travis Vader charged with murder of senior couple | CTV News

They charge him, they let him go, they charge him. I sure as hell hope they have a real case against this guy, because this just all seems so sloppy right now.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Re: Vadir rearrested and recharged!

Travis Vader arrested as murder charges reactivated in McCann case - Edmonton - CBC News

Sounds a little hokey to me. Is this the start of another "David Milgaard" case?

(I f**Ked up the spelling in the title)
Vader was released in October after spending four years in custody. Vader has denied knowing anything about what happened to the McCanns other than what was reported in the news.
He said that it was "horrible" to think people believe he is responsible for their deaths.

I sure hope not.

The family of the dead couple sound like they are being rational about it as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Vader was released in October after spending four years in custody. Vader has denied knowing anything about what happened to the McCanns other than what was reported in the news.
He said that it was "horrible" to think people believe he is responsible for their deaths.

I sure hope not.

The family of the dead couple sound like they are being rational about it as well.

It would be really interesting to know what new evidence the police have, The guy has already spent four years in jail and there were no bodies so nobody even knows how they died, or even if they died.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

It would be really interesting to know what new evidence the police have, The guy has already spent four years in jail and there were no bodies so nobody even knows how they died, or even if they died.
we'll soon know I guess

I think we can be certain they are dead unlike that woman whose husband was missing for almost ten years and she finds him living with a new wife in the same town

bizarre things do happen but the burned out camper...I think they are dead

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They charge him, they let him go, they charge him. I sure as hell hope they have a real case against this guy, because this just all seems so sloppy right now
Vader is going sh-t when he learns his new buddy was really an RCMP working undercover and that trusting him was a big big mistake.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I don't think there's any doubt that they are dead and there is probably not too much doubt that they were murdered. They just don't sound like the kind of people who would stage some bullsh*t and disappear. A greater possibility is the cops f**ked it up and feel a conviction is mandatory to cover up or excuse their incompetence. Back in the prehistoric days when I was kid, no body, no charges, no conviction!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I don't think there's any doubt that they are dead and there is probably not too much doubt that they were murdered. They just don't sound like the kind of people who would stage some bullsh*t and disappear. A greater possibility is the cops f**ked it up and feel a conviction is mandatory to cover up or excuse their incompetence. Back in the prehistoric days when I was kid, no body, no charges, no conviction!

Everything was circumstantial. Without any solid evidence they didn't have a winnable case. As mentioned above, an undercover investigator must have gotten close enough to him to get him to talk. If the police know you did it, they won't rest until they can nail your *** with proof.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

What really baffles me at this juncture is Vader was RELEASED AFTER it was reported new evidence emerged.............you don't release people after evidence surfaces confirming their guilt. I guess this being an Alberta case there would be no possibility the cops involved are those who attended the tasering at YVR.

Vader is going sh-t when he learns his new buddy was really an RCMP working undercover and that trusting him was a big big mistake.

I'm not sure if that sh*t would "fly" anyway. There are nuts out there every day who admit (for a little attention) to sh*t they never had anything to do with.

Everything was circumstantial. Without any solid evidence they didn't have a winnable case. As mentioned above, an undercover investigator must have gotten close enough to him to get him to talk. If the police know you did it, they won't rest until they can nail your *** with proof.

That's for sure..............that's what they did with David Milgaard!:)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

What really baffles me at this juncture is Vader was RELEASED AFTER it was reported new evidence emerged.............you don't release people after evidence surfaces confirming their guilt. I guess this being an Alberta case there would be no possibility the cops involved are those who attended the tasering at YVR.

Once you make the charge, timers and rules are in play. It is sometimes best to delay charges until you get your evidence in order. If he wasn't charged, they could not legally hold him.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I'm not sure if that sh*t would "fly" anyway. There are nuts out there every day who admit (for a little attention) to sh*t they never had anything to do with.

That's for sure..............that's what they did with David Milgaard!:)
That sh-t flies true and level. It's a very common technique of getting a confession.
This is nothing like Milgaard. Nothing at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That sh-t flies true and level. It's a very common technique of getting a confession.
This is nothing like Milgaard. Nothing at all.

I think you are mostly right except I believe they were both marginalized people who were on the cops' radar from the get go.

What's your take on this case, Pete? Do you think there's a likelihood they do have the right guy?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

I think you are mostly right except I believe they were both marginalized people who were on the cops' radar from the get go.

What's your take on this case, Pete? Do you think there's a likelihood they do have the right guy?

Yup! RCMP would have gave up on him a long ago if they weren't sure he did it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Yup! RCMP would have gave up on him a long ago if they weren't sure he did it.

You know I haven't followed this closely enough to really say for sure one way or the other, but all of this, the arrest, staying the charges, re-arresting....it makes me at least a little suspicious.

Authorities were damn sure that Guy Paul Morin was guilty too. Just saying.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

You know I haven't followed this closely enough to really say for sure one way or the other, but all of this, the arrest, staying the charges, re-arresting....it makes me at least a little suspicious.

Authorities were damn sure that Guy Paul Morin was guilty too. Just saying.

In 84 like 69(Milgaard) forensics was nothing like today. Both were cleared when tech improved so I wouldn't try to relate the circumstances to this trial.

If the RCMP had forensic evidence it would have been submitted as evidence in the first run up to a trial. As mentioned above, RCMP investigators will go as far as having an investigator hook up with this guy as a friend, drug dealer, junkie buddy or even a girlfriend going as far as having sexual relations with a suspect.

I figured he ratted himself out to one of these types of investigators.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

In 84 like 69(Milgaard) forensics was nothing like today. Both were cleared when tech improved so I wouldn't try to relate the circumstances to this trial.

If the RCMP had forensic evidence it would have been submitted as evidence in the first run up to a trial. As mentioned above, RCMP investigators will go as far as having an investigator hook up with this guy as a friend, drug dealer, junkie buddy or even a girlfriend going as far as having sexual relations with a suspect.

Your wisdom knows no bounds, Petros!:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm not arguing he didn't do it. I'm not even suggesting the circumstances warrant comparison to Milgaard or Morin necessarily, aside from the certainty of the authorities that they were the guilty parties. Which of course we now know they weren't.

But if they had forensic evidence in the first run up to trial, why would the Crown stay the charges? Again, I'm not suggesting he isn't the guilty party, he very well could be. I just find the sequence of events rather weird.