Obama announces US will establish embassy in Cuba

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
United States President Barack Obama said Wednesday that the US is initiating plans to rebuild its relationship with Cuba following decades of disputes between nations.

“Today, the United States of America changing its relationship with the people of Cuba”

Pres. Obama said from the White House in Washington, DC Wednesday afternoon as he unveiled what he called “the most significant changes in our policy in more than 50 years.”

“We will end an outdated approach that for decades has failed to advance our interest,” Obama said.

http://rt-tv.f29hgb.ru/usa/215331-obama-cuba-policy-embassy/

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
well... there goes the island! One of the great things about vacationing in Cuba was... no yawnkees!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."
Winston Churchill

Another political maneuver of Indolent/Incompetent Emperor JV in vain attempt to make himself relevant and distract attention from his own INCOMPETENCE !

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Between 1814 and 1815, the United States defeated Great Britain in the Battle of New Orleans as part of the War of 1812. It would have been a decisive victory but unfortunately for the US, the war was already over. News hadn't reached the forces the New Orleans.

Now in 2014 - 2015, Cuba defeated the United States in an epic 50 year embargo as part of the Cold War. Unfortunately for Cuba, the war was already over. I guess it took 25 years for news to get there.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's about time.

At least it'll cut down on the U.S. hypocrisy of the last 50 years of supporting vicious tin horn dictators with their dungeons and death squads in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and rest of Latin America.. while railing against human rights abuses in Cuba.

The U.S. has never had a 'Cuba' policy.. it has had a 'South Florida' policy pandering of violently anti-Castro and politically powerful Cuban expatriates.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Cubans defeated the U.S! LMAO!

Soon we Americans will flood that island and the days of the revolution will be over. Once tourism opens up say good-bye to the die hard communists and hello to U.S Capitalism!

COMMIES UNDER THE BED!

Oh, yeah, this'll go down great with the teabaggers.

I think it's great!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Now in 2014 - 2015, Cuba defeated the United States in an epic 50 year embargo as part of the Cold War. Unfortunately for Cuba, the war was already over. I guess it took 25 years for news to get there.

My curiosity is peaked though. Where was the defeat?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
My curiosity is peaked though. Where was the defeat?

Bay of Pigs. And the U.S. became the only member of the Embargo Cuba club.. with every other developed nation in the world granting full diplomatic and trading and travel relationships.

Much to the annoyance of the U.S. right wing.. who never forgave Cuba from breaking the colonial empire the U.S. endeavoured to establish in the Americas. They still haven't recovered from the slight 25 years after the fall of communism.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Cuba- Highly educated workforce- Excellent medical system.
They have started private ownership of property.
The Fidel experiment has failed.
The US embargo was idiotic. Pure Cold War politics and run by a bunch of ex Cubans who raised hell whenever this was broached. Fukem.
Presently Cuba has companies drilling off shore for oil/gas deposits, and the equipment and all that goes with it is inspected by the US.
Cuba needs investment, foreign investment.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nelson Mandela's funeral?

"Mr Obama tear down this embargo!"
"I guess I'll shake your hand but I only have one thing to say to you, get out of Guantanamo"

Take your pick.

Ok so there wasn't really a defeat you just like to say there was because you want there to be.

Bay of Pigs. And the U.S. became the only member of the Embargo Cuba club.. with every other developed nation in the world granting full diplomatic and trading and travel relationships.

Much to the annoyance of the U.S. right wing.. who never forgave Cuba from breaking the colonial empire the U.S. endeavoured to establish in the Americas. They still haven't recovered from the slight 25 years after the fall of communism.

Bay of Pigs... got it. Nothing about the Cuban Missile Crisis ... total Cuba/Soviet Defeat.

Right Wing annoyance! Geez. The embargo has gone on through every President... including Obama. Left Wing FAIL.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ok so there wasn't really a defeat you just like to say there was because you want there to be.

Bay of Pigs... got it. Nothing about the Cuban Missile Crisis ... total Cuba/Soviet Defeat.

Right Wing annoyance! Geez. The embargo has gone on through every President... including Obama. Left Wing FAIL.

Oh no, there was a defeat. I'm just stringing you along because I think you're a clown. Ya know.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Cuba needs investment, foreign investment.

They need US investment. They've been begging the US and whining for us to lift the embargo. And they've laid all their woes on the embargo. Obama would have lifted it years ago but the Castro's needed it to keep in power.

Once this embargo is lifted the Americans will flood Cuba like like the stars in the desert. Tourists, Investors...gamblers. You name it. Cold War Cuba will be Gooooooone.

Oh no, there was a defeat. I'm just stringing you along because I think you're a clown. Ya know.

How were you stringing me along? You got thumped on my second post. Clearly you do not know what you're talking about.

Try harder next time.

well... there goes the island! One of the great things about vacationing in Cuba was... no yawnkees!

And we're coming... and we tip!

Now the Cubans will want to wait on the table with the Americans because they tip unlike the cheap Canadians. :)

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
People who paid close attention could have seen this coming. It's been suspected for a while President Obama would use his remaining years in office to normalize relations with a couple nations the U.S. has been in dispute with.

The most likely candidates have been Cuba and Iran. I have expected both will happen.