11 trillion gallons of water to relieve California drought - NASA

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
11 trillion gallons of water to relieve California drought - NASA

NASA scientists say it would require 11 trillion gallons of water – more water than California's 38 million residents use each year for domestic purposes – to relieve the state’s record drought, currently in its third year.

A team of NASA scientists, using the Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) satellites, discovered that the state’s Sacramento and San Joaquin River basins were 11 trillion gallons (41.6 trillion liters) below normal seasonal levels. The researchers say that since the launch of GRACE in 2002 water levels have steadily dropped.

Californians use an average of 181 gallons of water each day, a state total of around 2.5 trillion gallons a year, according to data from the UGSC website.

But the bad news for Californians looking for a reprieve from the worst drought in centuries doesn’t end there. NASA said the satellite images show the Sierra Nevada range snowpack is half the amount of past estimates.

"The 2014 snowpack was one of the three lowest on record and the worst since 1977, when California's population was half what it is now," Tom Painter, principal investigator of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory said in the NASA release.

Jay Famiglietti, who led the team of NASA scientists, was confident of the accuracy of the data.

"Spaceborne and airborne measurements of Earth's changing shape, surface height and gravity field now allow us to measure and analyze key features of droughts better than ever before, including determining precisely when they begin and end and what their magnitude is at any moment in time," Famiglietti said.

NASA’s research indicates that groundwater levels across the American Southwest are in the lowest two to 10 percent since 1949.

Meanwhile, residents of the most populated US state have expressed optimism recently after many inches of rain fell across California. Experts say it’s just a drop in the bucket as far as the drought conditions are concerned.

"Recent rains are no reason to let up on our conservation efforts," Chair of the State Water Resources Control Board Felicia Marcus said recently.

Famiglietti agreed with that statement.

"It takes years to get into a drought of this severity, and it will likely take many more big storms, and years, to crawl out of it," he acknowledged.

The data was presented by the NASA team on Tuesday at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

source: http://rt.com/usa/215163-california-drought-nasa-us/

I hope they build more plants... after all they say the Oceans are rising with global warming.. what better source then to irrigate crops and feed a cities need for water??

Nation's largest ocean desalination plant goes up near San Diego; Future of the California coast?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Talk about ready made ATV park. On a more serious note they should scoop out a whole bunch so when the water comes again it's holding capacity is double what it was. The material can fill in the cracks in the watershed areas destined for living places.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
One important thing that I almost missed was that Californians each use 181 gallons of water every day. They can't afford to use that much water. Too many swimming pools? That is an awful lot of water.

That includes the water to feed a person.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
One important thing that I almost missed was that Californians each use 181 gallons of water every day. They can't afford to use that much water. Too many swimming pools? That is an awful lot of water.
In drought country I would make mine an indoor pool with gun ports. If desert living doesn't do it then that pretty much solves the situation, farmers are supposed to follow the rain are they not?

Heck, I'll send a five-gallon water cooler bottle.

See? Only 10,999,999,999,995 gallons to go. Piece of cake.
Only in America.

It's a fantasy in the sense that it's a painting, and there is no solar-powered water plant in Dubai (which I have to presume is what you meant by "Dubi").
In that local why not evaporate it using available heat and condense it as distilled water and the saline water is delivered back to the ocean downstream?

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
I hope they build more plants... after all they say the Oceans are rising with global warming.. what better source then to irrigate crops and feed a cities need for water?

existing reverse osmosis technologies are not cost effective and can be damaging to the marine environment... newer technologies exist but large scaled deployments are few, if at all:

=> the current standard technology, reverse osmosis — in which high-pressure pumps force water through semi-permeable membranes to exclude salt and impurities — uses large amounts of energy and has an outsized impact on the environment. These effects include damage to aquatic ecosystems, such as sucking in fish eggs with its intake water; using harsh chemicals to clean membranes; and releasing large volumes of highly salty liquid brine back into the water. Costs vary, but the lowest price for desalinated seawater from a reverse osmosis plant is around $750 an acre-foot (325, 851 gallons) — more than double the average cost of groundwater.

in 2016, a $1 billion state-of-the-art reverse osmosis plant near San Diego will produce 54 million gallons a day... supplying water to 300,000 residents. Desalinated water produced will cost around $2,000 an acre-foot — twice as much as currently paid for freshwater shipped in from the Colorado River and San Joaquin River Delta.

adaptation costs!​

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's a fantasy in the sense that it's a painting, and there is no solar-powered water plant in Dubai (which I have to presume is what you meant by "Dubi").

Yeah, OK.. so sorry.. my attention is not 100% on my typing..

Have to many browsers open and working, CC, ikariam.gameforge.com, my server administration pages, email... not concentrating on typing.

I think they already have a few Salt Water Distillation Plants open, not sure if they are Solar Powered.

But if you really want to get technical... here is a current Salt Water Distillation Plant in Dubai.

Here is a current Power Plant in Dubai.

Dubai’s 13MW Solar Power Plant Goes Live - Gulf Business

So being they power the city with Solar, I'm going to assume that the Salt Water Distillation Plant get's its power from the same source... SOLAR!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
existing reverse osmosis technologies are not cost effective and can be damaging to the marine environment... newer technologies exist but large scaled deployments are few, if at all:

=> the current standard technology, reverse osmosis — in which high-pressure pumps force water through semi-permeable membranes to exclude salt and impurities — uses large amounts of energy and has an outsized impact on the environment. These effects include damage to aquatic ecosystems, such as sucking in fish eggs with its intake water; using harsh chemicals to clean membranes; and releasing large volumes of highly salty liquid brine back into the water. Costs vary, but the lowest price for desalinated seawater from a reverse osmosis plant is around $750 an acre-foot (325, 851 gallons) — more than double the average cost of groundwater.

in 2016, a $1 billion state-of-the-art reverse osmosis plant near San Diego will produce 54 million gallons a day... supplying water to 300,000 residents. Desalinated water produced will cost around $2,000 an acre-foot — twice as much as currently paid for freshwater shipped in from the Colorado River and San Joaquin River Delta.

adaptation costs!​
NG powerplants are excellent for desalinization without wasting energy.

Fujairah power and desalination plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah, OK.. so sorry.. my attention is not 100% on my typing..

Have to many browsers open and working, CC, ikariam.gameforge.com, my server administration pages, email... not concentrating on typing.

I think they already have a few Salt Water Distillation Plants open, not sure if they are Solar Powered.

But if you really want to get technical... here is a current Salt Water Distillation Plant in Dubai.

Here is a current Power Plant in Dubai.

Dubai’s 13MW Solar Power Plant Goes Live - Gulf Business

So being they power the city with Solar, I'm going to assume that the Salt Water Distillation Plant get's its power from the same source... SOLAR!!!

Fujairah power and desalination plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
....farmers are supposed to follow the rain ...

If you're smart and you have gumption, you bring the water to the crops. Makes sense as the crops get water when they need it and not when Mother Nature randomly decides to deliver it. Oddly enough, some farmers don't like this approach but I don't suspect they are particularly good farmers.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
If you're smart and you have gumption, you bring the water to the crops. Makes sense as the crops get water when they need it and not when Mother Nature randomly decides to deliver it. Oddly enough, some farmers don't like this approach but I don't suspect they are particularly good farmers.

in that vein, a promising smaller-scale localized tech option... with possible commercial scaling: Aqua4™--- A modular, solar-thermal water system to treat and desalinate any water source, on-site.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Plants don't like salt.