RCMP takedown of First Nations elder captured in photo

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Irene Joseph's takedown by Smithers RCMP captured in photo

A 61-year-old Smithers Wet'suwet'en elder is filing a formal complaint claiming police used excessive force when an officer shoved her to the ground for refusing to answer questions about an alleged theft.

Jospeh said she visited a store last weekend where she talked to someone inside. Outside she said she was met by an RCMP officer who said he was investigating an alleged theft.

She said the police officer wanted to know her name and the name of the person to whom she had been talking.

"I forgot her name," she said. "And then he was asking me for my name. And I said, 'I'm not going to give it to you. Why should I give it to you? What did I do wrong? I never did anything wrong.'"

Joseph said she became upset and confused about why she was being questioned and tried to get away. She said she was knocked down while trying to reach for her walker. The incident, captured in a photograph that appeared in the Smithers Interior News, shows Joseph's walker to the right.​

"And he was just on my back," she said. "He had his leg on my back and he had the other leg in my side where he was trying to reach my arm."

Detained for ignoring verbal directions

Joseph said the officer eventually got her ID.

"He went into my bag, himself," she said, "and got my ID, wallet and cell phone, took out of my purse and got all of my ID off of that."

Smithers RCMP confirm an incident did take place and told CBC News they were called to the scene of a theft in progress.

"Police detained an individual who did not comply with verbal direction," said police in a statement. "The police officer restrained the person when they resisted and called for a second officer."

B.C. Civil Liberties Association Policy Director Micheal Vonn said as far as she can tell, there was no legal basis for an arrest.

"As far as we know there was no compulsion for her to remain," she said. "She herself was not under arrest. The statement by the RCMP seems to indicate an attempt to resist a kind of arrest. We cannot understand the legal basis for the arrest in the first place."

RCMP said no criminal charges have been laid, but its investigation is ongoing.

source: Irene Joseph's takedown by Smithers RCMP captured in photo - British Columbia - CBC News

////////////////////////////////////

Just follow the directions of police officers. Things will always be explained. But if you resist, it leaves officers few choices.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
comment pretty much says it all:

" She said there was a shouting match before the officer tried to handcuff her.
When she resisted, she claims he knocked her to the ground. "

Smithers RCMP officer being investigated over excessive force accusation - Smithers Interior News

End of story,in fact,should never have been a story.

If a cop tells you to turn around and put your hands together, they will preface that with the reason you are being legally detained. If you resist, that is a criminal offense.
The RCMP will likely use her statement to the press to convict her.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I agree with doing what an officer wants, yet I also can't help but think that if it is questions why you have to give over your ID, the officer should have said something too about why he asked. It works both ways; not saying why he was asking for it caused her to be defensive and be within her right to refuse ID.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well hey, at least she didn't have three squad cars skid to a stop around her and have several officers gun her down the moment they opened their car doors.

If this is what Canada has to go by regarding excessive force, I'll take it.

No shots, no pepper spray, no tasers, no punching or kicking or clubbing, just tossed to the ground, cuffed and taken away.

She should have complied.

Seriously how difficult is it to provide some ID.

"What's your name?"

"Praxius."

"Can I see some ID?"

"Sure..."

"We had a report of a theft."

"Take a look and check me out then."

"Ok thanks for your cooperation and sorry for causing any delay in your day."

"No prob, see ya."

..... 30 - 50 seconds and it's done.

Yet some people like to make it difficult and more than what it is, put up a fight, give attitude to the guy just doing his job and then sh*t like this happens.... And then we all have to hear about how they were the victim because they felt they don't have to listen to anything and that they shouldn't have to help the officer remove them from their suspicion list.... They should simply be nice, let them go and hope they weren't the person they were looking for.

And then the officer has to file his or her report and explain why they let the person matching the description go simply because they didn't want to hurt their feelings.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well hey, at least she didn't have three squad cars skid to a stop around her and have several officers gun her down the moment they opened their car doors.

If this is what Canada has to go by regarding excessive force, I'll take it.

No shots, no pepper spray, no tasers, no punching or kicking or clubbing, just tossed to the ground, cuffed and taken away.

She should have complied.

Seriously how difficult is it to provide some ID.

"What's your name?"

"Praxius."

"Can I see some ID?"

"Sure..."

"We had a report of a theft."

"Take a look and check me out then."

"Ok thanks for your cooperation and sorry for causing any delay in your day."

"No prob, see ya."

..... 30 - 50 seconds and it's done.

Yet some people like to make it difficult and more than what it is, put up a fight, give attitude to the guy just doing his job and then sh*t like this happens.... And then we all have to hear about how they were the victim because they felt they don't have to listen to anything and that they shouldn't have to help the officer remove them from their suspicion list.... They should simply be nice, let them go and hope they weren't the person they were looking for.

And then the officer has to file his or her report and explain why they let the person matching the description go simply because they didn't want to hurt their feelings.

Absolutely, completely, 100% incorrect.

The only people with rights are those that exercise them.

You do not have to talk to the police unless you are under arrest, and they must inform you at that point what they have arrested you for.......and this woman is not accused of anything. She was obviously no threat to the officer, from first glance he should be disciplined......retrained at least, perhaps fired.

If you have evidence, arrest. Or let them go. There is not much leeway in between.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree with doing what an officer wants, yet I also can't help but think that if it is questions why you have to give over your ID, the officer should have said something too about why he asked. It works both ways; not saying why he was asking for it caused her to be defensive and be within her right to refuse ID.

I fully agree with co operating with the cops.....................on my time and my terms. They can be too demanding and too inconsiderate, for all they know you may have to go for a crap!:)