Pope Francis says dogs can go to heaven

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

(NEWSER) – Pope Francis continues to show he's anything but traditional. During a recent public appearance, Francis comforted a boy whose dog had died, noting, "One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God's creatures."

Theologians say Francis—who took his papal name from the patron saint of animals, St. Francis of Assisi—was only speaking conversationally.

But the remark is being seen by some as a reversal of conservative Catholic theology which states that because they are soulless, animals can't go to heaven, the New York Times reports.

In 1990, Pope John Paul II said animals have souls, but his successor, Pope Benedict XVI, gave a 2008 sermon that seemed to say the opposite.

Francis' comment has now sparked a new debate on the subject, and the Humane Society says it has been flooded with emails. If Francis does in fact believe animals have souls, "then we ought to seriously consider how we treat them," a rep says. "We have to admit that these are sentient beings, and they mean something to God."

PETA is also running with Francis' remark, suggesting Catholics should move toward a vegan lifestyle. Animal souls aside, a recent Pew survey finds Francis has a 60% approval rating worldwide and 78% approval in the US, the Washington Post reports.

China may be growing fond of the pontiff, too, considering he reportedly refused a meeting with the Dalai Lama because, as the Dalai Lama reportedly said, "it might create inconveniences," the Times reports.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/12/w...eaven-pope-leaves-pearly-gate-open-.html?_r=0

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Heaven is like a large Jurrasic Park, filled with T-rexes and velociraptors. The dogs are there for snacks. By the way, velociraptors and T-rexes had feathers - just like angels.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well sh¡t. If Mitts is there I'd rather go to Hell. That bitch was mean.

Heaven is like a large Jurrasic Park, filled with T-rexes and velociraptors. The dogs are there for snacks. By the way, velociraptors and T-rexes had feathers - just like angels.

Badass cockfights.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All life is sentient. We are all just a part of one gigantic living organism we call the biosphere.Sorry Veggies, but carrots scream too, you just can't hear them with your limited senses.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But the remark is being seen by some as a reversal of conservative Catholic theology which states that because they are soulless, animals can't go to heaven, the New York Times reports.

In 1990, Pope John Paul II said animals have souls, but his successor, Pope Benedict XVI, gave a 2008 sermon that seemed to say the opposite.

And now Francis says they do. When's god going to make up his mind?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We if there is a such of a thing as reincarnation, that means you could come back as a human, dog, cat, fish, eagle, moose, or maybe a cockroach.

They are all up there to choose from.
depends entirely upon one's interpretation of reincarnation

I personally do not believe so

a fish is a fish and a dog is a dog...human is human...we move forward

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
a fish is a fish and a dog is a dog...human is human...we move forward

I have to disagree with your assertion that a dog is a dog. I have met quite a few dogs in my time and I can attest to the fact that not all dogs are dogs. Some are chickens. I have 2 distinctly different chicken dogs. one clucks and bocks like a chicken and other is afraid of loud noises. 2 types of chickens. Our clucking chicken dog also channels her inner cat when she is cuddled. She purrs.

So, the dog is a dog saying is a myth. Oh, she also has an affinity to pugs. She is not a pug, but she sure does love pugs.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

(NEWSER) – Pope Francis continues to show he's anything but traditional. During a recent public appearance, Francis comforted a boy whose dog had died, noting, "One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God's creatures."

Theologians say Francis—who took his papal name from the patron saint of animals, St. Francis of Assisi—was only speaking conversationally.

Francis' comment has now sparked a new debate on the subject, and the Humane Society says it has been flooded with emails. If Francis does in fact believe animals have souls, "then we ought to seriously consider how we treat them," a rep says. "We have to admit that these are sentient beings, and they mean something to God."

PETA is also running with Francis' remark, suggesting Catholics should move toward a vegan lifestyle. Animal souls aside, a recent Pew survey finds Francis has a 60% approval rating worldwide and 78% approval in the US, the Washington Post reports.

China may be growing fond of the pontiff, too, considering he reportedly refused a meeting with the Dalai Lama because, as the Dalai Lama reportedly said, "it might create inconveniences," the Times reports.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/12/w...eaven-pope-leaves-pearly-gate-open-.html?_r=0

What if they don't want to?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
....Sorry Veggies, but carrots scream too, you just can't hear them with your limited senses.
You're paraphrasing the Pan and should give him some credit.

We if there is a such of a thing as reincarnation, that means you could come back as a human, dog, cat, fish, eagle, moose, or maybe a cockroach.They are all up there to choose from.
No that's not Reincarnation that's Transmigration of Souls they are two different things.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

When I saw the header for this thread, it pissed me off right away, fu cking dogs I spat out. Dogs are not this mans best friends. Yeah, snack dogs, poddle bits, crunchy goodness for your Dynasaurs teeth, now there's a pet, six tons of lizard on a leash being walked in the park for a poop, and a rottwiler or a juicey pit bull. I'd like to have one of them early birds.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

No that's not Reincarnation that's Transmigration of Souls they are two different things.

That is reincarnation. Not the religious kind. According to the believers you may move up or down the food chain depending on how you lived your life. Man is not top dog either. If you were a particularrily bad specimen as a human you might just come back as a cockroach for a few generations for redemption, or like Hitler come back as a fly in a jewish s hithouse for 100000 generations.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

You got religion Bill.

That is reincarnation. Not the religious kind. According to the believers you may move up or down the food chain depending on how you lived your life. Man is not top dog either. If you were a particularrily bad specimen as a human you might just come back as a cockroach for a few generations for redemption, or like Hitler come back as a fly in a jewish s hithouse for 100000 generations.

No no no, once you pass from vegetable to human you are stuck with that grade until you get it right. Trust me I can remember eons as a turnip.