Hunter faces backlash for bagging albino deer

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
are hundreds of white deer are going to riot in the bush now...at least he didn't shoot or choke the damn thing...oh I dunno anymore...time to move on to Christmas anyway kids.

Jerry Kinnaman was up early, hunting in southeast Missouri, when he saw it. It had been a chilly night — the ground was crunchy — but on Tuesday morning, Kinnaman spotted the albino buck about 85 yards in the distance.

Kinnaman bagged the buck — which was called “arguably Cape Girardeau’s most notorious deer” by the Southeast Missourian. It was a legal kill, but a controversial one.

“This is a buck of a lifetime,” he told the newspaper.

“Not my biggest buck but at 7 1/2 years old he might be the oldest,” Kinnaman wrote on Facebook.

“Let the bashing begin!”

And it did. Kinnaman said in an interview with The Post on Thursday that it has gotten so bad, he’s received death threats over the deer.

“People are all tough on the computer,” he said, “but it’s easy for them to say that because they know they’re not going to get in trouble for it.”

The deer was something of a celebrity in Cape Girardeau. Kinnaman said that some locals felt a connection with it and would notice the animal on drives through the Southeast Missouri city.

“I was the same way as anybody else about this deer, so I understand the relationship some of these people have,” he said.

Here’s the thing, though: The deer wasn’t doing well, Kinnaman said. He said there was “not an ounce of fat on him,” and Kinnaman’s taxidermist noted that the deer’s teeth were in poor condition. The animal would have died this year, Kinnaman said, whether he harvested him or not.

“They never even thought about how hard it would be for this deer to survive once he got to a certain age,” he said.

For what it’s worth, Kinnaman contacted a local conservation department office and was told he hadn’t broken any regulations. After his taxidermist is finished, Kinnaman said he might donate the mount to a local nature center, so Cape residents can continue to enjoy the deer.

“There’s a lot of rumors I shot this deer for a reward,” he said. “I’m like ‘no.’”

The kill — and subsequent backlash — follows a similar incident in Michigan, in which an 11-year-old bagged an albino buck. Gavin Dingman was crossbow hunting with his father, Mick Dingman, when he shot the deer this October.

“I’ve had people tell me, ‘You should have taken the shot. You don’t let an 11-year-old take a shot at a deer like that,’ ” Mick Dingman told the Daily Press & Argus. “To me, in my opinion, it doesn’t matter if it’s a spike or a doe or a trophy deer. If you have confidence in them, it shouldn’t matter what they are shooting at.”

Hunter faces backlash after bagging rare albino deer

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
could you imagine what would have happend had he killed a black deer? :shock: ;)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I wouldn't trade my life for diamonds or jewels,
I never was one of them money hungry fools.
I'd rather have my fiddle and my farming tools, thank God I'm a country boy.
Yeah, city folk driving in a black limousine,
a lotta sad people thinking that's-a mighty keen.
Son, let me tell you now exactly what I mean, thank God I'm a country boy.
Well, I got me a fine wife, I got me old fiddle.
When the sun's coming up, I got cakes on the griddle.
And life ain't nothing but a funny, funny riddle, thank God I'm a country boy.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I need to learn the recipe for cakes. I like spice cake with caramel frosting. Cakes on a griddle makes as much sense as stir fried bubble gum and cabbage on toasted marble rye.