Why Are All The Stupid People In Charge?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why kids can't high-five in Peterborough, Ont.

Published Friday, November 28, 2014 8:29AM EST
Last Updated Friday, November 28, 2014 5:24PM EST
A group of parents are protesting a Peterborough, Ont. policy that bans children from high-fiving their crossing guards while walking to school.
Earlier this week, a crossing guard from Prince of Wales Public School was instructed to stop high-fiving children while on duty. The guard was reminded that the high-fives violate a city policy prohibiting all forms of physical contact between guards and children.
The policy suggests that students are distracting guards with the gesture of appreciation.

Representatives of the city say it has always been in place, and that their priority is the safety of the children.
"There is a potential that guards can be distracted and we want to make sure those crossing locations are safe," Kevin Jones, Peterborough's manager of transportation, told CTV Toronto on Friday.
He said city officials have observed high-fives between crossing guards and children in the past that "have become a little bit too extreme." He pointed out one incident where a child was seen jumping and high-fiving a guard's sign while crossing the road.
"That's an example where it can become a safety issue if the child tripped and fell in the middle of the road," he said.
Jones adds that the purpose of the policy is not "restrict" guards from interacting with the children.
"There are ways to do that without doing things like high-fives and other forms of physical contact. You can certainly do that through positive reinforcement."
Parents and crossing guards, however, are frustrated with the legislation because they say the gesture builds a more trusting relationship between children and the guards.
A rally started at 10:30 a.m. outside Peterborough City Hall, and was attended by parents and students.
Kids were out of school for a PA day.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, because we all know that if a crossing guard is distracted he/she won't be able to set off the force shield in time to save the kids if some moron fails to see them all standing in the middle of the road.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think buying shares in bubble wrap is a worthy investment.

I want to wrap myself in bubble wrap and roll around on the sidewalk to relieve my stress at the stupidity of the human race.

While my porcine comfort animal watches from the sidelines, lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why kids can't high-five in Peterborough, Ont.

Published Friday, November 28, 2014 8:29AM EST
Last Updated Friday, November 28, 2014 5:24PM EST
A group of parents are protesting a Peterborough, Ont. policy that bans children from high-fiving their crossing guards while walking to school.
Earlier this week, a crossing guard from Prince of Wales Public School was instructed to stop high-fiving children while on duty. The guard was reminded that the high-fives violate a city policy prohibiting all forms of physical contact between guards and children.
The policy suggests that students are distracting guards with the gesture of appreciation.

Representatives of the city say it has always been in place, and that their priority is the safety of the children.
"There is a potential that guards can be distracted and we want to make sure those crossing locations are safe," Kevin Jones, Peterborough's manager of transportation, told CTV Toronto on Friday.
He said city officials have observed high-fives between crossing guards and children in the past that "have become a little bit too extreme." He pointed out one incident where a child was seen jumping and high-fiving a guard's sign while crossing the road.
"That's an example where it can become a safety issue if the child tripped and fell in the middle of the road," he said.
Jones adds that the purpose of the policy is not "restrict" guards from interacting with the children.
"There are ways to do that without doing things like high-fives and other forms of physical contact. You can certainly do that through positive reinforcement."
Parents and crossing guards, however, are frustrated with the legislation because they say the gesture builds a more trusting relationship between children and the guards.
A rally started at 10:30 a.m. outside Peterborough City Hall, and was attended by parents and students.
Kids were out of school for a PA day.

Because idiots are generally noisy and noise attracts attention!

Stupidity reins

Not to mention reigns!

From the "red" awarded just now, I can also deduce that the thread is not only about idiots but also attracts IDIOTS.:)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Sounds like some people need to be high fived in the forehead with a 2 x 4.

It seems the trend in child rearing is heading back to the dark ages where children had no rights to happiness or being children. Soon they will have to give up play entirely and work for a living.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

It seems the trend in child rearing is heading back to the dark ages where children had no rights to happiness or being children. Soon they will have to give up play entirely and work for a living.

Exactly - a teacher is not even allowed to give a kid a pat on the head for doing a good job! There's a lot of sickos in the world in positions of authority, by the same token you can't give a kid a slightly harder tap on the rear end for screwing up.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I agree. With the 2 x 4 thing, lol. I'm 100% behind that.

But I still really want to wrap myself in bubblewrap and roll around on the sidewalk. Imagine the funny looks you could get from people? It would be like the ultimate stress relief AND ultimate amusement all wrapped up into one! :D

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is they put in a no touching ban that is at the heart of it so common sense
is disqualified through threat of litigation. Litigation comes in the form of carrying it to the
lowest common denominator. There are stupid people out there who want profile to be
heard and seen so they will litigate anything. The problem is if the schools don't move to
ban touching then there is litigation to determine what is good touching and what is bad
touching and that gets really dumb. Where does it end when we all get a life and put the
stupid people on both sides of the equation up to ridicule. Secondly the government in
the form of children and families and the justice department is supposed to draft the law
and execute the legal clauses in it not the schools In the absence of government
responsibility and collective common sense the schools must act.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I agree. With the 2 x 4 thing, lol. I'm 100% behind that.

But I still really want to wrap myself in bubblewrap and roll around on the sidewalk. Imagine the funny looks you could get from people? It would be like the ultimate stress relief AND ultimate amusement all wrapped up into one! :D

I would so be there with you doing that too. At least we could laugh at each other.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Remember, you can't unsee what you have seen.8O

Hey! That was uncalled for! lol

I would so be there with you doing that too. At least we could laugh at each other.

I'm just thinking, this could be an excellent sideline business. We can call it "Executive De-Stressing: Roll away your troubles" and charge a hefty fee to the cultural elite, cuz they pay well for stuff like that. We could give seminars, write a book, do a book tour.

I think I'm really on to something.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Next.
No direct eye contact.
And no speaking.

Because idiots are generally noisy and noise attracts attention!

Not to mention reigns!

From the "red" awarded just now, I can also deduce that the thread is not only about idiots but also attracts IDIOTS.:)

Or it means you're a spelling Nazi.