Koran should be read at Prince Charles' coronation

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
WTF is wrong with liberals?

Koran should be read at Prince Charles' coronation says top bishop: Critics attack proposal and accuse Church of England of 'losing confidence' in its own traditions

• Lord Harries said gesture would be a ‘creative act of accommodation’
  • Speaking in House of Lords claimed it would help Muslims feel ‘embraced’
  • Critics attacked idea insisting 'British values stem from Christian heritage'

Prince Charles’s coronation service should be opened with a reading from the Koran, a senior Church of England bishop said yesterday.

The gesture would be a ‘creative act of accommodation’ to make Muslims feel ‘embraced’ by the nation, Lord Harries of Pentregarth said.

But critics attacked the idea, accusing the Church of ‘losing confidence’ in its own institutions and traditions.

Lord Harries, a former Bishop of Oxford and a leading CofE liberal thinker, said he was sure Charles’s coronation would give scope to leaders of non-Christian religions to give their blessing to the new King.

more

Koran should be read at Prince Charles' coronation says top bishop | Daily Mail Online

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure "defender of the faith" is understood to be the Christian faith.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Charles as King - WTF?????? Time to skip a loser. Grandma should see the Grandson as King.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Monarch is still Defender of the Faith.. uh.. that's the Christian Faith.. even in its obnoxious Anglican expression.

The title was awarded to Henry VIII for defending the Catholic faith, before he switched sides and created the Church of England. If the monarchy could warp the original meaning of the expression then, why can't they now? The Church of England "values" on which England is supposedly founded on are ad hoc done with no principles and strictly for convenience's sake. Charles should be coronated on the toilet seats he's so fond of.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I don't agree with this at all and I am not all that into defending any faith.
I don't mind accommodating folks to a degree when they come but I am
not in favor of having them move the furniture around if you know what I
mean if they don't like the lifestyle the door to leave is always open

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't agree with this at all and I am not all that into defending any faith.
I don't mind accommodating folks to a degree when they come but I am
not in favor of having them move the furniture around if you know what I
mean if they don't like the lifestyle the door to leave is always open
I don't think it was a request I believe it was a suggestion by a biship for a hand held out only since it is the second largest religion in the UK.

It's a passage or two.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Read the Koran, or a grocery list for all I care. It will piss BL off so I guess thats one upside.

Funny thing is Charles just might be fine with it considering his history.

if they don't like the lifestyle the door to leave is always open

They were welcomed in. Once in they can do, say or suggest whatever they want. If the more 'traditional' folks dont like that, well thats unfortunate.

Charles as King - WTF?????? Time to skip a loser. Grandma should see the Grandson as King.

She doesnt really get a say in that.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I have personally heard Prince Charles state that he believes that the Monarch should be "Defender of the faiths", meaning defender of all faiths.

It does make one wonder why a Protestant Monarch would so proudly assume a title that was given to Henry VIII, byt the Pope, and a title that was NOT inheritable.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I believe he is noted for advocating reconciliation among all faiths: Woolf Institute - Professor Lord Harries

quote:

He was Chairman of the Council of Christians and Jews from 1992-2001 and is the author of After the Evil: Christianity and Judaism in the Shadow of the Holocaust (OUP, 2003). He convened the Oxford Abraham Group from 1992 and, with Tim Winter and Norman Solomons, edited Abraham's Children: Jews, Christians and Muslims in Conversation (T and T Clark, 2005)

Therefore, if I understand his history, he is motivated by a desire to promote reconciliation among faiths rather than appeasement.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I believe he is noted for advocating reconciliation among all faiths: Woolf Institute - Professor Lord Harries

quote:

He was Chairman of the Council of Christians and Jews from 1992-2001 and is the author of After the Evil: Christianity and Judaism in the Shadow of the Holocaust (OUP, 2003). He convened the Oxford Abraham Group from 1992 and, with Tim Winter and Norman Solomons, edited Abraham's Children: Jews, Christians and Muslims in Conversation (T and T Clark, 2005)

Therefore, if I understand his history, he is motivated by a desire to promote reconciliation among faiths rather than appeasement.
there's a novel idea eh?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Read the Koran, or a grocery list for all I care. It will piss BL off so I guess thats one upside.

Funny thing is Charles just might be fine with it considering his history.

They were welcomed in. Once in they can do, say or suggest whatever they want. If the more 'traditional' folks dont like that, well thats unfortunate.

She doesnt really get a say in that.

If he abdicates would it then be possible?
Or would one of her other children be King?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If he abdicates would it then be possible?
Or would one of her other children be King?

Yep that can happen but he'd still have to be King however briefly for it to happen. If I was in his position Id probably do that. Hell if I was in that line at all Id probably abdicate. I dont know why anyone would want that job.