"Fabulous" victory for Burnaby Mountain protesters

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

"Fabulous" victory for Burnaby Mountain protesters as court rejects Kinder Morgan contempt charges | Vancouver Observer

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I must admit I didn't realize they were chopping their way through a park
until then I was not on the protesters side I realize there is almost no where
they can build this thing they can't go through houses and they can't go through
the park Good we won't be selling the stuff to Asia like they want to
Now we will see if the companies follow the law they want others to follow.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
There are tarsands on burnaby mountain? Are the protestors also opposed to the pipeline that supplies the SFU building with natural gar heat?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They are not opposed to running fossil fuel burning generators or burning wood in the park. I wonder if they can prove their fuel came from emission free Middle eat oil and their wood burning is environmentally sustainable?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The decision came on the same day a prominent First Nations leader was arrested at the site.
Grand Chief Stewart Phillip of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs crossed a police line on Burnaby Mountain, where Kinder Morgan is conducting drilling and survey work related to the proposed expansion of its pipeline.
While that was unfolding, a lawyer for the company was in a Vancouver courtroom asking a judge to expand an injunction that has been used to arrest more than 100 people, including Phillip. Nearly all of them have been charged with civil contempt for violating the order.
A company lawyer said the GPS co-ordinates used in the initial injunction application – and, subsequently, in the court order – were inaccurate. The company wants the co-ordinates updated and the injunction’s timeline extended.

All charges dropped against anti-pipeline protesters | On First Nation Issues, Events, And Environmental Issues On The West Coast And World Events.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
There are tarsands on burnaby mountain? Are the protestors also opposed to the pipeline that supplies the SFU building with natural gar heat?

no - protestors are concerned over the expansion proposal that, per the Kinder Morgan formal NEB submission, would see increased tanker traffic through the Salish Sea and Burrard Inlet: from existing ~60 tankers per year, to proposed ~410 tankers per year:

protestors are also concerned that Kinder Morgan hasn't been upfront with it's extended secondary expansion plans... those not appearing within the formal NEB submission/review process; specifically:
- per the NEB submission, capacity expansion intended is stated as an increase of 540,000 barrels a day... from the existing 350,000 barrels a day on the 60 year-old original line, to an additional 540,000 barrels a day on the new pipeline => for a total capacity of 890,000 barrels a day.

- in truth, as Kinder Morgan has finally acknowledged, the designed capacity of the new pipeline is 780,000 barrels a day... 240,000 barrels a day capacity more than is being applied for in the current NEB submission. When Kinder Morgan opts to increase to the max capacity design level, a convenient "loop-hole" in the NEB Act will allow Kinder Morgan to avoid any additional environmental assessment and public interest scrutiny on this additional 240,000 barrels a day capacity. Of course, in order to export that additional design capacity, it would either mean a further increase in tanker numbers per year of the current sized "Aframax class (120,000 dwt) tankers".... or... an increase in tanker size to the "Suezmax class (200,000 dwt) tankers", which would require dredging of Burrard Inlet, something Kinder Morgan already has designs on.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
spelling is such a distraction to those so easily distracted, hey!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
With any luck, Kinder Morgan will take this to the SCoC... A prompt reversal is likely.

... Even better, the Feds deem this (and maybe a few other lines) in 'National Interest' and jam them through.