Great Prank Played on Neo Nazis

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
this might be the most effective way of dealing with such undesirables. This would be a great prank to play on the Westboro Babtist church

German village plays prank on neo-Nazis

They keep coming back year after year. Since the 1990s, neo-Nazi demonstrators invade the village of Wunsiedel in south Germany every November to commemorate the National Heroes' Remembrance Day by visiting the grave of Adolf Hitler’s Deputy, Rudolf Hess, which was located in the village until it was dissolved in 2005 when the lease agreement ran out.

The almost 1,000 inhabitants of Wunsiedel have been trying to stop these demonstrations every time, to no avail. They held counter demonstrations and formed action groups dedicated to tolerance, commitment and moral courage.

This year Wunsiedel gave it another try – with a completely new approach.

Even though the number of neo-Nazis decreased after reaching its peak in 2004 with 4,500 protesters, and they were repeatedly barred by the courts from holding their demonstration, the neo-Nazis have yet to give up their so-called annual “March of Remembrance”.

Instead of taking the neo-Nazis seriously, this time they decided to play a prank on them. Under the slogan "Right against right: (“rechts gegen rechts”), Wunsiedel's residents gave the neo-Nazis' march a new purpose.

For each meter the neo-Nazis marched last Saturday throughout the village, local companies donated 10 euro for a project called “Exit”, a NGO that supports neo-Nazis who are ready to leave the milieu.

The neo-Nazis themselves only learned of the villagers' prank while their march was already underway, walking through the village and carrying their flags and wreaths solemnly.

To make them aware of what they were inadvertently taking part in, the people of Wunsiedel put up colorful posters along their route, thanking the neo-Nazis for their participation.

"Wenn das der Führer wüsste" ("If the Führer would know") said a pink banner they had to walk by, "Brisk like greyhounds, tough like leather, and generous like never before" ("Flink wie die Windhunde, zäh wie Leder, grosszügig wie nie") said another one, in reference to former Nazi slogans from the Third Reich.

Even food was provided for the neo-Nazi protesters, who tried to ignore the prank as much as possible. Under a banner saying "Mein Mampf" ("My food") instead of "Mein Kampf" (the title of Hitler's book), the village offered bananas to the demonstrators.

On the pavement, village residents had placed landmarks informing the marching neo-Nazis how much money they had already raised by walking through the village – with a total of 10,000 Euro in donations collected for the NGO.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I remember another case where a group was performing a Baha'i diversity theatre troupe in various parts of Berlin. Neo-Nazis initially rudely interrupted the presentation, but the troupe either ignored them or was even friendly to them, disagreeing in an amicable manner.

As the troupe went from neighbourhood to neighbourhood over a week-long period, the Neo-Nazis kept following and kept getting the same treatment. Halfway through the week, the Neo-Nazis were relatively quiet, and by the end of the week some of them had even turned their Neo-Nazi t-shirts inward and some were even emotional and appreciative. I'm not aware of any of them changing their beliefs at that time, but it was still a big step forward. Beats anti-fascism which only feeds it.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I can't imagine that at any time in all of human history has violence or brute force changed anybodies beliefs to the perpetrators views.

Last edited:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The children of child abusers are often abusive to their children.

That's slightly different. The abused child is not convinced of the abuse's validity by the abuse itself. They haven't been convinced of the merits in abusing children.

What I'd meant was that if I think the sky is magenta and I want you to believe it, no amount of violence or verbal bashing from me to you is going to make you believe in the validity of what I'm saying and also believe/ think the sky is magenta.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
They should have went a step further and all dressed as Jews, celebrating Jewish festivities and culture while offering them Mein Mampf.... throw in a few gays too with rainbows and unicorns prancing around.

^ Not in a manner to make fun of either group, but shove what the Neo Nazis hate the most right in their faces.

Stick a Star of David in the ground where Rudolf Hess's grave is with a little sign proclaiming "Mazel Tov!!"

Maybe even get a few people to dress in WWII Soviet Uniforms and stand along the road pointing and laughing at them while commenting how they lost.